PDA

View Full Version : Invite Tuesday Group Ride (06.21.11) - The Flying Dog Trail

PunchKing
06-18-2011, 09:11 AM
This is the longest day of the year so why not have a long ride to go with it. I will be at the trail head at 5:30, if no one chimes in they are joining me I may start early. If you are planning on enjoying this ride let me know.

Map to the trail head:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=N+40%C2%B0+43.662%27+W+111%C2%B0+32.051%27&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=0x87526b87e69d0171:0x2406abd754555434,%2B40% C2%B0+43%27+38.95%22,+-111%C2%B0+32%27+3.85%22&gl=us&t=h&z=14

I will be doing one of the larger loops, the "big dog loop" looks like the one.

live2ride
06-19-2011, 09:06 PM
i am in, are you doing the entire 17 mile loop starting at stealth? My brother in law is in town and we are planning on riding up there, I will update our status in the days coming.

live2ride
06-19-2011, 09:08 PM
This sounds like the best idea of the year so far!!! I just uploaded my last ride to my garmin in prep for the ride!

PunchKing
06-20-2011, 06:18 AM
Yep, the full 17 mile loop. I have heard the trail is in good enough condition so that shouldn't hold anyone back.

tallsteve
06-20-2011, 08:43 AM
Your trailhead marker is off. It should be on Glenwild Drive to the west. Regardless, this is an awesome ride. We did the 17 mile loop on Saturday. Having done it both directions, I like counterclockwise best. There are a couple of short, muddy spots on the west side of upper Flying Dog that we dismounted for, but otherwise the trail is primo. I'll do my best to be there.

live2ride
06-20-2011, 08:47 AM
count my brother and law and me in, just confirmed with him and we have plans in route to make it from Layton.

PunchKing
06-20-2011, 09:03 AM
Tallsteve is right, my trail head marker is off by one street. Sorry.

Nice to see some interest, should be a great ride. I am open to doing the loop in either direction, I have only done it clockwise.

tallsteve
06-20-2011, 09:49 AM
There are a few reasons why I like counterclockwise best, the biggest being I'd rather go down the very rocky bottom half of the western section of Glenwild/Stealth vs climbing it. It's also nearly all downhill back to the car from the top of Flying Dog in the counterclockwise direction vs. a couple of miles of long sustained, but gentle, uphill climbs on the eastern side of the bottom section of Glenwild. Going down Flying Dog, from the top through the thick trees, counterclockwise is also a hoot. Hope that makes sense, but I'll do either way.

live2ride
06-20-2011, 10:47 AM
I am open for either way, clockwise you get that wicked short litt climb about 14 miles in by the mega mansions...wither way we choose I will be there with some water and ready to roll, I was planning on riding there before your post so this was perfect. As long as tall steve takes it easy on us!!

neilether
06-20-2011, 12:35 PM
I am hoping to be there tomorrow night.....I know this is a loaded question, but how long does this ride usually take for a mixed group such as will show up tomorrow night?

PunchKing
06-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Well it will obviously depend on how fast you are but, if we start at 5:30ish I am pretty sure we will be back to the cars by 8:30. I have done the trail in about 2 hours before(clockwise version) but that was late in the season and I was in good shape.

live2ride
06-21-2011, 07:08 AM
Clockwise last time I rode with a break to change a flat tire I was also in under 2 hours. Very easy trail to kick up the pace if you want since it flows so nice and is a pretty buff singletrack. I gotta drive back home to Layton after so I am shooting for no longer than 2 hours if possible. Bike is here at work and ready to roll.

tallsteve
06-21-2011, 07:10 AM
I plan on being there. After riding it Saturday I can't wait to go back!

PunchKing
06-21-2011, 08:28 AM
I will see you guys there. This should be a fun ride. Sounds like it will be a fast group. We can just let Tallsteve set the pace and we will be done super fast. :cool2:

live2ride
06-21-2011, 08:38 AM
I will be in a silver full size chev with a couple bikes in the back

neilether
06-21-2011, 08:49 AM
I'm in. I will likely be the anchor holding everybody back......

I will be in a silver Ford Explorer

tallsteve
06-21-2011, 09:34 AM
I will see you guys there. This should be a fun ride. Sounds like it will be a fast group. We can just let Tallsteve set the pace and we will be done super fast. :cool2:

Right. I'm 50+ and am coming off knee surgery. Compared to this time last year, I'm a snail.
Burgundy Jeep Liberty.

live2ride
06-21-2011, 12:46 PM
I am going to be the anchor...ERRRR...Riding Sweep LOL, whatever you want to call it, I just want to get out and enjoy the trails. There is a big EXpo going on at deervalley today with all the press releases. Been tweeting back and forth with Hans Rey today so I may try to go up early and get a couple of pics with the legends, I tried to invite him to come ride with us but he said he was already riding..LOL Figured what the heck, it doesn't hurt to try.

neilether
06-21-2011, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the ride tonight. Sorry to bail on you guys halfway through, but duty called. I stopped for a bit on that one backside climb, but needed to take off. Hopefully everything went smoothly......

tallsteve
06-22-2011, 06:44 AM
Great riding with you Neil and everyone else. It took us a while to get down because Enoch had a spectacular crash right in front of me. Not sure how it happened and it wasn't in a spot that you'd think a crash would occur (that's the way it usually happens to me, too!). He landed hard on his head and shoulder, cracked his helmet, scraped up his left side pretty good, was dizzy, seeing spots and may have broken his collarbone. We rode slowly afterward to make sure he got down OK. Other than that, awesome ride!

live2ride
06-22-2011, 06:48 AM
great ride, hopefully Enoch jumps on here soon and gives us an update on his condition? Hope it was just something tweeked and not a 6 week heal time! Great ride on the longest day of the year, Mike took a few photos on the climb I will see if I can get him to post them up so I have proof we went.

PunchKing
06-22-2011, 07:30 AM
Hey guys, went to the doctor. No broken bones. I guess it is just strains and pulls. The docs prognosis is 2-4 weeks of recovery. I will be in a sling for about week. Thanks for making sure I finished the trail okay.

I have no idea why I crashed but it sure hurt.

live2ride
06-22-2011, 07:32 AM
glad to hear it isn't a break! 2-4 weeks and you will be ready to roll! Thanks for setting up the ride it was fun, other than your crash.

tallsteve
06-22-2011, 08:28 AM
Nice! I didn't think it was broken. It would have been protruding more than it was. Now, if you had been wearing spandex like everyone else we met on the trail, you would have certainly died, and rightfully so! At least having to look at you wearing spandex would have killed US! You're young and healthy. I predict 1-2 weeks recovery.

neilether
06-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Yikes! Now I feel really bad for bailing out on you guys. I was figuring it was just a flat tire or something.....I'm glad to hear you are doing Ok. Thanks for showing me around.

accadacca
06-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Bummer Enoch. Sounds like a good ride otherwise. Unfortunately I cant ride tomorrow, but will be back and ready to roll next week. :2thumbs: