PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Riverboarding the 'gnar' of Clear Creek Black Rock, Colorado (my video)

Erik
06-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Video I shot earlier this month. Riverboarding the Black Rock Section of Clear Creek, Colorado (Black Rock, Narrows and Rigormortis).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhdCPw6Fb2g

accadacca
06-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Dig the music. Love Ozzy... :rockon:

Looks wicked! :hail2thechief:

CarpeyBiggs
06-14-2011, 01:35 PM
wow. that is crazy. ever seen the footage of the guys riverboarding down the glaciers? can't remember where i saw it now. do you have to wear flippers or something?

Erik
06-14-2011, 01:47 PM
I just saw one of the glacier run pics the other day. That looks amazing! Yeah, I have flippers and webbed gloves for power and maneuvering. We're also wearing shin + knee pads as well.

CarpeyBiggs
06-14-2011, 01:54 PM
We're also wearing shin + knee pads as well.

nice. figured you'd have to have some armor on. do you get beat up pretty good doing it?

Erik
06-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Mostly just while you are learning, but you still take a few hits now and then depending on what kind of stuff you are running. Going to throw a board in the car on the way to Zion and hope to at least catch a good wave on the way out...

Sombeech
06-14-2011, 03:25 PM
Wow, that's pretty wild, I've never seem that before. Looks like a ton of fun. Thanks for the video.:2thumbs:

Deathcricket
06-15-2011, 08:21 AM
I had no idea.... Wow what a cool sport. Looks like a blast man.

Sombeech
06-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Hey, is the board on a leash or anything? I could see pros and cons with that.

Erik
06-27-2011, 09:47 AM
No leash, though I've heard a few have tried it. Usually when I've lost the board it's been in a big recirculating hole so I've been able to pop up and grab it. I have had to swim away from it at least once, when I was able to curl into a tight ball and get pushed out of the hole while the buoyant board was thrown back by the recirculating water. Generally no leash in whitewater because of that and the possibility of escape difficulty in case of a weird rock snag.