PDA

View Full Version : GoPro 3D Hero Expansion Kit

Sombeech
06-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Well, looks like it's officially here. Youtube has 3D mode built in too, it seems like there's nothing stopping 3D helmetcam footage from getting huge now.

So here's the kit, it basically includes everything BUT the 2 GoPro cameras, but it has all of the hardware to place them together and sync up for 3D filming:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004M18816/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=bogloutdcomm-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217153&creative=399701&creativeASIN=B004M18816

$99 too which isn't bad at all, after you've bought two "naked" cameras.

Here's a sweet demo video. Click the link to view the merged footage to 3D mode, toggle it on and off at the bottom of the player:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDQ3rmEeKN8&feature=pyv&ad=6809850284&kw=gopro%203d%20video

Iceaxe
06-09-2011, 04:12 PM
But the coolest thing about the GoPro was it's small size.... and this pretty much trashes that.

Alex
06-09-2011, 04:17 PM
I don't have the glasses :(

Sombeech
06-09-2011, 04:50 PM
But the coolest thing about the GoPro was it's small size.... and this pretty much trashes that.

Yeah, probably won't be ideal for helmet mount because of the weight up there now, but it would be good for the other mounted positions.

You'll notice the pole mount is being used a lot, basically mounted to a trekking pole or something like that.

Iceaxe
06-09-2011, 05:07 PM
but it would be good for the other mounted positions.

I assume you are talking about the headboard mount.

:haha:

Sombeech
06-09-2011, 05:52 PM

Well, it is a wide angle lens.

Garbanzo
06-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Hey honey, does this GoPro make my .... look bigger and wider?:lol8:

I've been looking at this one for a few weeks now, and i just can't bring myself to the commitment. Good Hell, the one camera by itself is like having a second job!!!:dizzy:

denaliguide
06-09-2011, 09:53 PM

IN 3D!!! how cool is that?

Sombeech
06-09-2011, 10:00 PM
It's like I REALLY am catching an STD!

Dr. Nebz
06-09-2011, 10:12 PM
Go Pro is a cool camera, but I like the features much better on my Contour HD. My friend Mike is always having issues with his Go Pro.

Two cameras? That is just getting ridiculous. For 3D? This 3D thing is getting out of hand.

Sombeech
06-09-2011, 10:21 PM
I haven't had a single issue with my GoPro yet. :ne_nau:

Dr. Nebz
06-10-2011, 12:37 PM
I haven't had a single issue with my GoPro yet. :ne_nau:

I always get from my friends who are using the Go Pro is that they are not for sure if it is filming. Always seems like they miss getting good footage with theirs. Maybe not smart enough for the camera? Who knows. All I know is that one season down and I am sold for sure on my Contour.

Iceaxe
06-10-2011, 02:14 PM
I always get from my friends who are using the Go Pro is that they are not for sure if it is filming. Always seems like they miss getting good footage with theirs.

Maybe you should mention to them that there is a big RED light on the front when its filming. :lol8: It's pretty hard to miss.... The GoPro also beeps once when you start filming and 3 times when you stop.... I'm really not sure how you can miss a shot with all that happening but I'm sure manage to do it.

Iceaxe
06-10-2011, 02:36 PM
I'm also thinking you would need a really strong computer to do much editing of 3D. My work computer is pretty much the best graphics computer money can buy and doing some things in an editing session can bring that bad boy to its knees. If 3D doubles the work load in an editing session most folks are going to be in trouble.

Sombeech
06-10-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm also thinking you would need a really strong computer to do much editing of 3D. My work computer is pretty much the best graphics computer money can buy and doing some things in an editing session can bring that bad boy to its knees. If 3D doubles the work load in an editing session most folks are going to be in trouble.

Yeah, curious as to how the editing process goes, but I'll bet it's two separate pieces of footage, then just something that syncs them up on the same frame. Who knows, maybe YouTube will make it easy to upload the two films and then work it's magic to sync them.

Dr. Nebz
06-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Maybe you should mention to them that there is a big RED light on the front when its filming. :lol8: It's pretty hard to miss.... The GoPro also beeps once when you start filming and 3 times when you stop.... I'm really not sure how you can miss a shot with all that happening but I'm sure manage to do it.

Yeah, that is why I mentioned maybe not smart enough for the camera. I know with all the tree riding I do, I would loose a Go Pro in a heart beat. #1 camera thief at Snowbird, the dubious tree branch thievery. :scared:

This is why I went with the Contour HD. I love it. Trees keep your grubby branches to yourselves. :lol8: