PDA

View Full Version : Conditions Mineral Gulch/Meadow Creek

ststephen
06-08-2011, 09:24 PM
I am thinking about an alternate hike if Subway doesn't open in time for my permit on 6/19. Mineral Gulch/Meadow Creek sounds like a nice option. I wonder if there might be some flow in those drainages that might make it difficult to complete the hike? I'm thinking that the Parunweep itself would be quite hard to navigate right now, but these side drainages should be different, no?

I'm also wondering about the choice of hooking up Meadow and Mineral, or Meadow and 7 Arch, and which might be the better direction to do the loop.

Anyone have an insight on this area? Thanks!

oldno7
06-09-2011, 05:50 AM
I don't think water flow will be a problem in Meadow or Mineral. If you don't set up a shuttle, loop hikes are a little impractical. I've hiked from the bottom of the poverty flats road, up mineral to "oldno7" arch, and back down the same way. I think you can exit 7 canyon just East of the Arch with a little scrambling(haven't done it but checked it out from the bottom and the top and I think it goes) Then get in the wash that goes over the large pouroff and follow it up to a dirt road. So--to do this, you need a way down Poverty wash road or add several miles of road hiking, and a vehicle at the drainage just above the pouroff, it's been awhile but I think the road is around 1 mile above the pouroff.
That way you see the best of lower Mineral(3 sets of narrows+caves), only have to wade 1/4-1/2 mile of the East fork, and include picto's and arch in 7 canyon.

Bo_Beck
06-09-2011, 06:11 AM
I don't think water flow will be a problem in Meadow or Mineral. If you don't set up a shuttle, loop hikes are a little impractical. I've hiked from the bottom of the poverty flats road, up mineral to "oldno7" arch, and back down the same way. I think you can exit 7 canyon just East of the Arch with a little scrambling(haven't done it but checked it out from the bottom and the top and I think it goes) Then get in the wash that goes over the large pouroff and follow it up to a dirt road. So--to do this, you need a way down Poverty wash road or add several miles of road hiking, and a vehicle at the drainage just above the pouroff, it's been awhile but I think the road is around 1 mile above the pouroff.
That way you see the best of lower Mineral(3 sets of narrows+caves), only have to wade 1/4-1/2 mile of the East fork, and include picto's and arch in 7 canyon.

Here's Tanyas and my write-up with map etc. Yes you can exit at "Oldno Seven Arch Canyon". It's a bit of a scramble, but not too difficult. Anyway...I was up at Zion yesterday for a SAR and I was asking afterwards if Subway would open soon? I think it'll be open soon!?
http://www.zionnational-park.com/mineral-gulch.htm

ststephen
06-09-2011, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the pointers Kurt and Bo. Yes I found your write-up with Tanya (first or second link on my google search!). It looks like a great area.

I think the NPS should have a big ribbon cutting ceremony with oversized scissors and a red tape when they finally open it. :lol8:

deathtointernet
06-09-2011, 06:38 PM
I asked about the Subway yesterday and the ranger said that they think (tentatively) that it will open Monday. We'll see. Was down Misery last Saturday, obviously no where near Mineral Gulch, but Parunuweap wasn't a problem. A little strong, little chilly, but upstream travel was certainly doable if slow and the water was clear.