PDA

View Full Version : Escalante River.

Bo_Beck
05-31-2011, 07:45 AM
I got my chance to float the Escalante River this Memorial Day Weekend! Thanks to Guy, Crystal and JJ, I experienced an adventure I'd looked forward to for a very long time! Weather was perfect with the exception of the full blown gale and sandstorm hiking out of Crack in the Wall on sunday. I shot 2+ hours of video which I've just peeked at, and I have some editing to shorten it into a viewable clip. Ringtail (ghosted) was a special treat, and I got to look up at Neons Golden Cathedral. The river was a BLAST and was more than I could have hoped for. Photos and video to come! Even snuck in a quick hike up to Lower Calf Creek Falls yesterday before coming home!

trackrunner
05-31-2011, 11:55 AM
:2thumbs::hail2thechief::2thumbs::popcorn:

jhillock
05-31-2011, 01:01 PM
So Jealous! We were down there this weekend doing choprock and neon and talked to a few different groups of boaters. They looked like they were having a blast. I am definately adding it to my must do list. How was the hike out of crack in the wall?

tanya
05-31-2011, 04:57 PM
Awesome!:nod::2thumbs:

Bo_Beck
06-01-2011, 04:55 AM
So Jealous! We were down there this weekend doing choprock and neon and talked to a few different groups of boaters. They looked like they were having a blast. I am definately adding it to my must do list. How was the hike out of crack in the wall?

The hike up from Coyote Gulch through Crack in the Wall and then across the plateau to the parking area at the end of the road on Fortymile Ridge is quite the sandy slog. If it were very hot out it would be quite the grind. Definately better to hike it when it's cool out. Night time or super early morning during late spring/ summertime.

CarpeyBiggs
06-01-2011, 10:18 AM
you know i'm insanely jealous to have missed this. did you take an alpacka or did you take a duckie? no pressure, i'll wait patiently for the video. :lol8:

Bo_Beck
06-01-2011, 01:31 PM
you know i'm insanely jealous to have missed this. did you take an alpacka or did you take a duckie? no pressure, i'll wait patiently for the video. :lol8:

Originally I was going to take the "Rascal" one man Bandit Series duckie by NRS, but a friend asked if he could borrow it and come along (he never showed up on the river). I borrowed Mikes Alpacka and am glad I did. The one person Bandits were a handfull to navigate the tight corners and the Alpackas were made just for that second section maze of boulders! I just got a video editing program and now I need to learn to use it........may be a while for video! Hope you're doing well Dan?!:nod:

Alex
06-02-2011, 05:22 AM
Bo, grab Windows Movie Maker 11 if you have Windows Vista or 7. It's one of the best programs I have found to edit movies and one of the easiest to learn.

Bo_Beck
06-02-2011, 06:37 AM
Bo, grab Windows Movie Maker 11 if you have Windows Vista or 7. It's one of the best programs I have found to edit movies and one of the easiest to learn.

I just might! I dinked around with this Power Director 9.0 for a bit and my computer/ program illiteracy sure shows?! Do they have a free trial download? I need something that requires very little thinking!:haha:

sn0wBound
06-21-2011, 01:03 PM
We would love to include your trip report on the Escalante River blog! If you would like to include it please let me know!

Joe - escalanteriver.blogspot.com