PDA

View Full Version : [Help] KSL Photo Contest - Please Vote for me.

Rob Newbould
05-30-2011, 02:51 PM
I've noticed others asking for votes here in the past so I thought I'd ask too....

I finally got picked as a finalist so I would really appreciate your vote.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=901157&nid=461

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Dr. Nebz
05-30-2011, 04:59 PM
Rob, without knowing it was you, I voted for yours. It is great composition, and I love the color scheme as well. Very nice work! Hope you win! Good Luck!

Dr. Nebz
05-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Maybe put up a direct link to the contest and get that out on your facebook twitter email action! Let the people know!

Rob Newbould
05-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Thanks Dr. Nebz!

Rob Newbould
05-31-2011, 10:42 AM
Bump... Direct link added. Please vote.

Dr. Nebz
05-31-2011, 05:11 PM
Your catching Walt. Keep getting the word out!

Rob Newbould
06-01-2011, 09:45 PM
I'm getting closer. At one point today we were tied... Please keep voting.

Rob

Walt Lacy
06-02-2011, 08:28 AM
FYI, I have not been soliciting votes from anyone but family and friends. I thought this was a photo contest, not a contest to see who can solicit the most votes online. Not Cool!!!

ibenick
06-02-2011, 08:40 AM
FYI, I have not been soliciting votes from anyone but family and friends. I thought this was a photo contest, not a contest to see who can solicit the most votes online. Not Cool!!!

:lol8: Any 'contest' that involves online voting is largely a popularity contest. If KSL left it to judges who based the decision solely on photo quality then you'd have a true contest. The fact that they now require logging in to vote significantly reduces the advantage of social media but the fact is, if you're not rounding up the vote, then you're missing out on something that all of the other candidates are taking advantage of.

Walt Lacy
06-02-2011, 09:06 AM
:lol8: Any 'contest' that involves online voting is largely a popularity contest. If KSL left it to judges who based the decision solely on photo quality then you'd have a true contest. The fact that they now require logging in to vote significantly reduces the advantage of social media but the fact is, if you're not rounding up the vote, then you're missing out on something that all of the other candidates are taking advantage of.

At your suggestion I am asking that you vote for my picture to support my Walt needs an SLR camera fund. :-)

ibenick
06-02-2011, 09:38 AM
At your suggestion I am asking that you vote for my picture to support my Walt needs an SLR camera fund. :-)

Honestly, you probably have a similar edge to get people on here to vote for you as Rob does. Rob might have lurked around in the past but he didn't post anything until this request. I think most people on forums like this who would be willing to go vote for a photo are going to do so because they consider that person a friend of sorts, even if they haven't met them, they know them from their posts and contributions to the forum. You both are pretty much new to us, add to that the fact that login is now required and it's going to be a pretty hard sell. I think the best photo will win on this one.

Dr. Nebz
06-02-2011, 10:32 AM
As ibenick has already pointed out, this is largely a popularity contest. There are no photography experts judging the entries and deciding who has the best composition, best exposure, best B&W ect. I was chosen by Photographers Forum last year as a finalist for the Best of College Photography 2010 publication that Serbin put out. And I got published. That was a real photography contest, picked by judges who have a Masters in Fine Arts. To be a top 50 finalist out of 13,000 photographs submitted from around the world was a true honor for me.

Really, the best thing for me winning the month of July in the 2011 KSL calender was the fact that the proceeds from the sale of these calenders goes to Primary Children's Medical Center, which helps families with children that are ill that cannot afford health care and are in need of having their child treated. I think that this was far more important for me in winning that contest than having my photo published. My art went to help children. And the 2011 calender sold out, first one in the history of this contest. This means that a lot of money was donated to PCMC which will help out a lot of kids. Whoever wins this month, I hope you see it the same that your image will be part of something that will be good for our community, not just being about prizes and recognition. :nod:

ibenick
06-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Really, the best thing for me winning the month of July in the 2011 KSL calender was the fact that the proceeds from the sale of these calenders goes to Primary Children's Medical Center, which helps families with children that are ill that cannot afford health care and are in need of having their child treated. I think that this was far more important for me in winning that contest than having my photo published. My art went to help children. And the 2011 calender sold out, first one in the history of this contest. This means that a lot of money was donated to PCMC which will help out a lot of kids. Whoever wins this month, I hope you see it the same that your image will be part of something that will be good for our community, not just being about prizes and recognition. :nod:

Screw all that. I just wanted the KSL mouse pad.

Dr. Nebz
06-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Screw all that. I just wanted the KSL mouse pad.

WTF? You got a mouse pad? All I got was a lousy notepad w/ pen and t-shirt. Now I feel jipped.

Walt Lacy
06-02-2011, 01:59 PM
I agree that this is a great cause. I spent 4 years working for Primary Children's Hospital, it is a great place. I would still be there had I not decided to move back home to southeastern Utah.

tanya
06-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Done! You are way ahead at 42% :stud::2thumbs:

ibenick
06-02-2011, 07:01 PM
WTF? You got a mouse pad? All I got was a lousy notepad w/ pen and t-shirt. Now I feel jipped.
You didn't even get the KSL chapstick!? WTF?! Here's the real prize from my schwag pack... the aluminum desk calculator. Awwww yeah. :cool2:

accadacca
06-02-2011, 11:12 PM
I kinda figured KSL would give out copies of the Book of Mormon. :roflol:

Sombeech
06-02-2011, 11:39 PM

I think we all see your point, but the goal of KSL is to get people to the website. Otherwise they'd have experienced judges (or maybe 6 year olds) picking the prettiest photo and a winner would be declared. KSL expects each contestant to solicit everywhere they can, drive traffic to the contest page, and hopefully some of the voters will submit their own next month, chain reaction.

So the name of the game is purely who can use the resources available to get more votes. Even if my family member's photo sucked in comparison, if they solicited me to vote for them I still would. So that still wouldn't be voting for the best photo in the contest.

Hopefully you stick around here on bogley. In times past, it's proven to be a great resource for these kind of contests. :cool2:

Walt Lacy
06-02-2011, 11:53 PM
Isn't this forum about outdoor recreation, trails, etc? I would wager that not many on this forum are familiar with the area in which my picture was taken.

But I just have to say this, I have driven past church rock at least a hundred times, and there is no way around it, Rob's picture was taken right next to the highway.

I was going to post some pictures of east canyon back behind church rock that I had submitted to KSL back in 2009, but apparently I am not allowed to post pictures yet.

I wouldn't be upset about losing the photo contest to some of the pictures that have won in the past, honestly the 4 pictures selected for this month are not as spectacular as some past months. If you look at day 3 of this months KSL contest before Rob started his campaign, and before I had asked anyone to vote for my picture, the unsolicited(impartial) votes had me with a 53% plus lead while all the other photographs were under 16%.

And who exactly is "Osbert Kootie" who submitted Rob's picture?

Sombeech
06-03-2011, 12:00 AM
I was going to post some pictures of east canyon back behind church rock that I had submitted to KSL back in 2009, but apparently I am not allowed to post pictures yet.

Just one more post and you're there. There's a 5 post minimum.

Sombeech
06-03-2011, 12:13 AM
I wouldn't be upset about losing the photo contest to some of the pictures that have won in the past, honestly the 4 pictures selected for this month are not as spectacular as some past months. If you look at day 3 of this months KSL contest before Rob started his campaign, and before I had asked anyone to vote for my picture, the unsolicited(impartial) votes had me with a 53% plus lead while all the other photographs were under 16%.

I'm completely unbiased, as I know neither you nor Rob, and sadly I haven't voted at all yet on KSL since the new login policy (i haven't created an account yet)....

But -

I guess we could just say Rob is using his resources. KSL anticipates exactly what Rob is doing, campaigning, inviting, or even "spamming" everywhere he can to get those votes. Granted, I haven't read any of their contest rules, but I assume they don't have any restrictions on this type of campaigning for votes. Facebook is a huge method of begging for votes as well.

It's "selling" your photo really. If you've only asked family and friends for help, and then depended on the pure quality of your photo to get the rest of the votes, well, it is what it is. But in the first place if you depended on the sheer quality of your photo for all of the work, I guess you wouldn't have asked your friends for help either.

I hope you don't take my advice the wrong way, I think you've got a great photo. It's just all about using resources available to you to win this contest. Scroll down to the bottom of this page to read the "Similar Threads" titles and you'll see that bogley is a great resource for harvesting votes in these contests.

Good luck. :afro:

Walt Lacy
06-03-2011, 12:15 AM
I think we all see your point, but the goal of KSL is to get people to the website. Otherwise they'd have experienced judges (or maybe 6 year olds) picking the prettiest photo and a winner would be declared. KSL expects each contestant to solicit everywhere they can, drive traffic to the contest page, and hopefully some of the voters will submit their own next month, chain reaction.

So the name of the game is purely who can use the resources available to get more votes. Even if my family member's photo sucked in comparison, if they solicited me to vote for them I still would. So that still wouldn't be voting for the best photo in the contest.

Hopefully you stick around here on bogley. In times past, it's proven to be a great resource for these kind of contests. :cool2:

Of course the other reason for this contest is to pick pictures for the Calendar that will be sold as a fund raiser for Primary Children's Medical center. Better pictures == more sales == more money for PCMC.

I don't think you need experienced judges, most people know what looks good. As I stated earlier 3 days into the contest, I had not been soliciting votes, thus the 53% -16% lead I had was from impartial voters choosing which picture they thought was best.

I would understand losing the contest to a superior photo, but I don't believe Rob's photo is superior. I am not going to say my picture is perfect, I didn't really do much of anything to my picture believing that just like all the other pictures I have ever submitted to KSL it would not be selected.(I have submitted much better pictures in the past)

Walt Lacy
06-03-2011, 12:23 AM
Here is the road to the East of Chuch Rock in East Canyon. https://picasaweb.google.com/wclacy/Scenery2009#5286965917716209410

This is the shot looking north in East Canyon https://picasaweb.google.com/wclacy/Scenery2009#5286968028975427602

Here is the shot looking south https://picasaweb.google.com/wclacy/Scenery2009#5286966646097554226

I took these pictures back on New Years Eve 2008. I ended up walking several miles in the snow that evening.

Walt Lacy
06-03-2011, 12:25 AM
DOH, Let me try that again.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-a9-JESQknTg/SV8TfZkSXwI/AAAAAAAAAfc/vyIf3iYP8wk/s912/img_3158-1.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-gxrjhcYQz1w/SV8VaSntcBI/AAAAAAAAAf4/7aT7mIjC-qI/s912/img_3165-1.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-jR-QhtzEn28/SV8UJy_7qzI/AAAAAAAAAfo/IV3ORqhrb9w/s912/img_3161-1.jpg

Sombeech
06-03-2011, 12:33 AM
Of course the other reason for this contest is to pick pictures for the Calendar that will be sold as a fund raiser for Primary Children's Medical center. Better pictures == more sales == more money for PCMC.

I'll play Devil's Advocate again, please remember I'm unbiased in this.

But if the photos have already made it to the finals on KSL, I don't think certain pictures will play a part in how many calendars will be sold. The finalist photos have all pretty much "made the cut" for a certain level of quality.

Again, a factor that could contribute to sales of calendars is if a friend or family member's photo is published there, even though it would be a small percentage of total sales. Most people would buy the calendar regardless of the specific photos, just to support PCMC.

tanya
06-03-2011, 07:56 AM
Oh no! Now we are voting for 2 people out of 3. :lol8:

Both new members too.

Hmmmmmmm...... I think I will just go and vote for what picture I like best.

Okay guys. Post your best upclose photos of yourself and I will judge! I will vote the the hunkiest one. :lol8:

I do like both of your photos the best, but I am not sure which I like better. I like that island, its pretty cool, but the other photo is bright and clear and eye catching. It's a coin toss for me.

Walt Lacy
06-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Hmmmmmmm...... I think I will just go and vote for what picture I like best.

If you hadn't already voted, you wouldn't have known that Rob had 42% as you posted earlier. But I do like the idea of voting for whichever picture you like best. It is after all a "Photo Contest"

Here is another picture that was taken at the same place as the one I submitted to KSL:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-nzXV8Uc-W8c/TelP0W0HFzI/AAAAAAAAVo0/7rib-XCfCdU/s912/IMG_1090.JPG

But usually I like to take pictures like this:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-2ME8jEzwCvo/TelPBZVO6hI/AAAAAAAAVoM/g7sWJkoEMeI/s912/IMG_0107.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-BLgCQ7bGygY/TelPgRkjhkI/AAAAAAAAVoc/go037kdZzOs/s912/IMG_0136.JPG

** all pictures taken with a $350 camera, Wish I could afford a nice camera.

tanya
06-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Of course, but then I voted for you to even it up.

One one day, one the next. :cool2:

I can give you each one more, since there is 5 total.

I just don't know either of you, but I am glad you joined Bogley.

Rob Newbould
06-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Thanks to all the "Bogley's" for the votes and the "lively" conversation. :nod:
I've been a lurker for too long and am looking forward to contributing more often to this great community.

Rob