PDA

View Full Version : Help Roof Top Cargo Carriers

accadacca
05-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Can anyone recommend a good model or brand? Its for a Honda Pilot and I do have a stock cargo rack that I should be able to attach it to. I don't need anything fancy, just something that will hold some gear. TIA!

Does anyone have experience with this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E7YP82/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=bogloutdcomm-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399349&creativeASIN=B000E7YP82

blueeyes
05-25-2011, 11:52 AM
http://www.rei.com/webservices/rei/DisplayStyle/677675?source=gpla&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-677675&mr:trackingCode=73744FFE-FB85-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

The only one I have experience with is the one I bought from REI. Works great! Even through torrential down pour. Easy to get into and attach to my car. Folds up to a decent size so I can store it. Love it.

DOSS
05-25-2011, 01:25 PM
I will second the REI one as good.. I do wish I could find a narrow rack bag that will fit between my bikes when they are on the rack though..

live2ride
05-25-2011, 01:44 PM
REI is having the big sales right now too, 20% off

accadacca
05-25-2011, 01:45 PM
REI is having the big sales right now too, 20% off
Off everything? :ne_nau:

blueeyes
05-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Discount applies only to things that are not on sale already. Most the store is on sale and the 20% off does not count for GPS items :angryfire:. Anyhoo I spent my dividends check.

Edit: I just checked and the SherpaK is not on sale so you could save $22 on this item.

blueeyes
05-25-2011, 02:18 PM
I will second the REI one as good.. I do wish I could find a narrow rack bag that will fit between my bikes when they are on the rack though..

I agree a narrow bag would be nice. I only have one bike rack on top right now so my bag still fits fine but two racks would be more difficult.

DiscGo
05-25-2011, 02:57 PM
If you ever listen to me about anything, I hope it is this: Buy a Yakima cargobox!

I went to REI to purchase a Thule because they were ons ale but I was just so much more impressed with Yakima. I bought my cargobox about a month before I went to Alaska and over the course of the summer I realized that my lock on the one side wasn't closing correctly. I knew it had a life time warranty so I wasn't worried about it and so I figured I would take care of it after the summer. I was crossing a bridge in Juneau Alaska and a microburst hit and that broken lock didn't hold and the box's lid was literally blown off of my car. I called Yakima and their support blew me away and this is why I recommend them.

They offered to ship me a new box but because of the ferry schedule in Southeast Alaska there wasn't time to get a new box sent to me before the ferry came. So they paid for 150 pounds of my stuff to be sent back to Utah (they offered to overnight it, but I didn't think that was necessary because I wouldn't be back in Utah for several days anyway). Yakima overnighted me some heavy duty straps which still allowed me to use the box driving back home. And then when I got back to Utah, REI refused to replace the box for me (even though I bought it there) and Yakima called REI for me and worked it out.

I have now had my replacement box for over 4 years and not had a single problem with it. And I will never forget Yakima's AMAZING service. My Yakima cargo box is one of my best purchases I have ever made.

accadacca
05-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Great story DiscGo. I am not sure if I want to spend enough to get a hard box, but I love great customer service so your story is tempting.

Thanks for the comments thus far everyone. Keep them coming! :2thumbs:

Scott Card
05-25-2011, 04:45 PM
I don't own a cargo carrier but I have heard more than one person complain about the soft carrier and the flapping and the noise. :ne_nau:

DOSS
05-25-2011, 04:48 PM
I don't own a cargo carrier but I have heard more than one person complain about the soft carrier and the flapping and the noise. :ne_nau:

Yep they do.. but I just turn up the radio :).. or get out and fix the part that is flapping

blueeyes
05-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Yep they do.. but I just turn up the radio :).. or get out and fix the part that is flapping

Dido! If you tie down the ends with the Sherpack it is not bad at all. But occasionally you have to adjust something.

REDFOX
05-25-2011, 08:15 PM
I have a yakima roof rack basket and web netting and I have used a yakima cargo box as well. Both Items accomplished everything and I had no problems with either item. My plan is to use a rack installed to the receiver hitch. I am hoping that it will not affect my gas mileage as bad as the roof mount storage box and rack. My mileage litterally was cut in half from wind drag and I didn't care much for the splattered bug mess up on top either.

accadacca
05-27-2011, 10:33 AM
I have a yakima roof rack basket and web netting and I have used a yakima cargo box as well. Both Items accomplished everything and I had no problems with either item. My plan is to use a rack installed to the receiver hitch. I am hoping that it will not affect my gas mileage as bad as the roof mount storage box and rack. My mileage litterally was cut in half from wind drag and I didn't care much for the splattered bug mess up on top either.
Yeah I was wondering about gas mileage. The hard boxes seem to be more aerodynmaic. How bad is the mileage affected when you use a cargo box of any type on top?

I am getting a hitch installed and may also look at rear cargo options. However I have a 4 bike rack that I plan to use on the back. :ne_nau:

DiscGo
05-27-2011, 12:11 PM
I honestly don't notice any difference in my gas mileage when I have the carrier top on top. I used to just always leave it on my Subaru because I really didn't notice a decline. I tried to leave my cargo box on my van and my wife drove into the garage with it (to Yakima's credit the garage framed dented, instead of the box breaking).

I was at REI today and they have Thule and Yakima on sale for 20% off. The Skybox 16s was 400$. It is money so well spent.

accadacca
05-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Hmmm. How long does the REI sale last?

Bad Karma
05-27-2011, 07:26 PM
Hmmm. How long does the REI sale last?

Through Monday

accadacca
05-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Well, I ended up with a Yakama top box. That 20% was hard to beat and they really do make quality products and DiscGo sold me. I'll be trying it out next weekend with my bike rack in tow. It will work great on top of my Land Cruiser too. :2thumbs:

http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae91/accadacca1/71ffabe4.jpg

greyhair biker
05-30-2011, 09:38 AM
nice setup Scott. I have several(big surprise eh?) a Yakima on my camptrailer, Thule on my truck and a Saris hitch rack for emergencies (haha) and they all have their redeeming qualities. The Yakima has been so far the 'ole trusty' one but it's track is too small for the beef I have on the wheels now. The Thule XT Sidearm is a roof rack I've mounted atop a Thule Xporter truck rack(read: humongous beast of a rack). I can't begin to say how much I like this particular setup:nod: and I can put any 'box' possible on the Xporter up to 450lbs. All I did for storage was put an old truck bed lock box back in the bed. The only drawback I've found is that the ratchet bar on the rack rubs on the front fork...but that could be because I've been off road ALOT with it:ne_nau:.
...now I've also sold the Rocky Mounts brand which fits most all roof rack systems and they work for most XC bikes and road bikes but they're not beefy enough for an all mountain monster that so many here seem to ride:mrgreen:.
--just my two cents worth--

REDFOX
05-30-2011, 08:13 PM
Nice box Scott and it even fits in the garage.

accadacca
05-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Nice box Scott and it even fits in the garage.

Yep, it is close on those ends though. I bought a couple pulleys and some rope and hung it from the ceiling right in the center behind my garage door motor. My cruiser is a lot taller and it will work great in that spot to lower it on, load up and roll. :cool2: