PDA

View Full Version : narrows and Subway 3rd week of June

ocanler
05-24-2011, 10:53 PM
Hello,

I have a trip scheduled for the 3rd week of June. We have permit for Orderville and Subway, but I'm getting concerned these 2 canyons won't be opened by then. Looks like NPS is in no hurry to re-open Subway (close for more than a month) and based on the current flow of the Virgin river, there is a good chance the Narrows won't be open to the public until late June. My plan B canyons are Birch Hollow, and Fat Man Misery, but I'm not sure how the East Fork of the Virgin River will be if water is too high. What is the maximum cfs I should look for. Currently flowing at 100 cfs. I know it's a .35m stretch of the canyon, but I would appreciate suggestions/tips.

Thanks

Deathcricket
05-25-2011, 07:58 AM
Not sure about fat man's but I did Birch a couple weeks ago (there is a trip report in here somewhere on it) and it was flowing but fine and lots of fun. Not sure about Fat man's sorry. Another plan B you might look into is a Keyhole/Pine Creek combo. Those are both excellent canyons and very fun IMO. Much more technical that Orderville or Subway which barely need ropes though.

Edit: are you in Encinitas CA? Used to work there back in the day. Good little town

ocanler
05-25-2011, 08:49 AM
I was already planning to do the combo Keyhole/Pine one day. Birch Hollow should be dry by end of June. I was just wondering if the East Fork of the Virgin river is a problem when cfs is too high.

Yes I'm from Encinitas, CA. Still a decent place but no canyons here. :cry1:

Iceaxe
05-25-2011, 09:13 AM
I was just wondering if the East Fork of the Virgin river is a problem when cfs is too high.

Misery should never be an issue. If the East Fork is too high there is an escape up a gully at the confluence of Misery and Parunuweap. I've never been up the escape but those who have used it say its not bad and its easy to locate, no need to even step foot in the East Fork if its raging. Maybe someone who has used the escape exit will provide more details.

Deathcricket
05-25-2011, 11:07 AM
I was already planning to do the combo Keyhole/Pine one day. Birch Hollow should be dry by end of June. I was just wondering if the East Fork of the Virgin river is a problem when cfs is too high.

Yes I'm from Encinitas, CA. Still a decent place but no canyons herehttp://www.bogley.com/forum/images/smilies/cry.gif

Ahh gotcha. So yeah, Birch hollow drops into Orderville right before it normally starts flowing and then completes the interesting parts. Right now the river is flowing all the way up and there is a huge mudslide right at the beginning of the Orderville canyon. So if narrows is closed due to high flow, then it's the same exact trail. But you can walk up the Orderville drainage if the narrows are closed. Walking down is way more fun though.

My guess is they will open soon though. They just had so many rescues it got ruined for the rest of us. But I don't know what levels (flow) they decide to open them up. Hard to gamble vacation plans on that, you're wise to think of other options. If you think about it, bring some inflatable tubes for the float down virgin once orderville connects. Walmart sells them for like $3. Makes the last 2-3 miles way more fun. Probably stash them in your packs before you get to the river walk trail though. Never got busted but I've heard stories the rangers don't like them for some reason.

Maybe Echo canyon? I haven't done it this year yet but it might be open? It's a good hot weather canyon and in June it will probably be getting toasty.

So cool, I used to live in El Cajon and worked in Encinitas for a bit. Don't miss that 805 --> 5 merge that's for sure. Hope you have a good time when you come visit us up here. Maybe you'll enjoy it and stay for a bit like I did. :2thumbs:

Edit also found this: http://www.nps.gov/zion/parknews/zion-narrows-campsites-closed.htm

The Zion Narrows is closed to hikers each spring due to high water from snow melt. In an average year, the period of high water ends around the beginning of June. The closed campsites will be evaluated as soon as water levels allow rangers to visit the area. Many of the campsites should be opened quickly, but some may have to be re-located and may remain closed for several months.

ocanler
05-25-2011, 09:21 PM
Thank you for the info. I called the backcountry desk today and they told me it might be a while before the open Mistery, Orderville and the Narrows. Currently we an average of 600 cfs/mn and still some snow left in the high altiture it migh not be until the end of June they can open up. It seems like doing Fat Man Misery will be a good contingency plan. Looks like a beautiful remote canyon.
As for Subway, they told me they went there a couple of days ago and found the water to be still too high but a good chance it would open up by mid June. I sure hope so. It was hell to get this lottery ticket.
Water canyon looks like one I might want to try. Looks like fun.

ratagonia
05-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Maybe Echo canyon? I haven't done it this year yet but it might be open? It's a good hot weather canyon and in June it will probably be getting toasty.

Echo has been a favorite of people getting in trouble, the last couple of years. Huge piles of snow/ice block the canyon AFTER the three rappels. I have not heard of any action in there this year, but... I suppose some local should go walk in from the bottom, to see how the snow blockage is this year.

Tom :moses:

Deathcricket
05-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Echo has been a favorite of people getting in trouble, the last couple of years. Huge piles of snow/ice block the canyon AFTER the three rappels. I have not heard of any action in there this year, but... I suppose some local should go walk in from the bottom, to see how the snow blockage is this year.

Tom :moses:

Always blows me away doing a canyon in 100 degree weather and seeing snow down in there. :2thumbs:

ocanler
06-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Spoke with backcountry desk today: They "think" the Subway should be re-opened for permits withing 2 weeks. As for the Narrows, judging from the current flow it might be a long while before it is re-opened: late June-early July.
I have crossed off Orderville from my list and will head to Fat Man Misery instead

ststephen
06-02-2011, 12:24 AM
Keeping my fingers crossed on too. My Subway permit is 2.5 weeks out.

lofty
06-10-2011, 06:07 AM
We did Fat man's back in the middle of may... super fun floating down the paranuweeep at about 121 cfs.....just bummed that the frog that kissed me didn't turn out to be a prince :(

Birch in may was fun and flowing... no wetsuits needed.. just put a rain jacket on for the spray. it was warm so pants dried out quickly from the spray