PDA

View Full Version : Odd Phenomenons in Utah?

jbdavies
05-24-2011, 12:27 PM
I was wondering if any one knew of any places in Utah where weird crap happens... like strange "alien" lights in the sky, or whatever.

Coming from Arizona, I heard of a couple places like that... but never got the chance. So, now that I'm in Utah... I was wondering if there are any places of that sorts here?

Anyone?

theking648
05-24-2011, 02:27 PM
you need to jump one state to the west.:lol8:

ratagonia
05-24-2011, 02:52 PM
I was wondering if any one knew of any places in Utah where weird crap happens... like strange "alien" lights in the sky, or whatever.

Coming from Arizona, I heard of a couple places like that... but never got the chance. So, now that I'm in Utah... I was wondering if there are any places of that sorts here?

Anyone?

Utah State House? some strange things happen up there in February. :cool2:

Tom :moses:

tanya
05-24-2011, 03:02 PM
Like this?

The city that he just left is Cedar City, Utah, but in just a few moments he will reach a place six miles down Route 14, a place that's six miles into.... The Twilight Zone...

Gerry Irwin was a Nike missile technician at Fort Bliss in El Paso, Texas. On February 28, 1959, he was driving back from Nampa, Idaho, where he had been on leave. At Cedar City, Utah, he turned southeast on Route 14. About six mile from the turnoff, he spotted a glowing object that seemed to come to earth in a field just off the road. Thinking he had seen an airplane crash, or at least a forced landing, he stopped to see if he could give assistance. He wrote a note and placed it on the steering wheel of his car: Have gone to investigate possible plane crash. Please call law enforcement officers.

Then, he wrote STOP in large letters on the side of his car.

About thirty minutes later, a fish and game inspector stopped. He took the note to the Cedar City Sheriff's Office, and Sheriff Otto Pfief gathered a party of volunteers and returned to the site. When they searched, they found no trace of a plane crash, but they found Private Gerry Irwin unconscious in the field. Ninety minutes had passed since he had first seen the glowing object.

Irwin was taken to the hospital in Cedar City, where a Dr. Broadbent could find nothing physically wrong with him. Irwin was merely asleep, and could not be awakened! Dr. Broadbent could find no explanation for this, so his diagnosis was "hysteria", meaning that his condition could not be attributed to any organic disease.

more...

http://ufoexperiences.blogspot.com/2007/03/gerry-irwin.html

BruteForce
05-24-2011, 03:55 PM
Dugway is becoming the new Area 51. Head into the west desert and you'll see all sorts of interesting items. Just don't wander out into the Dugway desert as you may not come back out.

jbdavies
05-24-2011, 04:24 PM
you need to jump one state to the west.:lol8:
Haha. Yeah... I prefer to stay in state... if I can.

Like this?

The city that he just left is Cedar City, Utah, but in just a few moments he will reach a place six miles down Route 14, a place that's six miles into.... The Twilight Zone...

Gerry Irwin was a Nike missile technician at Fort Bliss in El Paso, Texas. On February 28, 1959, he was driving back from Nampa, Idaho, where he had been on leave. At Cedar City, Utah, he turned southeast on Route 14. About six mile from the turnoff, he spotted a glowing object that seemed to come to earth in a field just off the road. Thinking he had seen an airplane crash, or at least a forced landing, he stopped to see if he could give assistance. He wrote a note and placed it on the steering wheel of his car: Have gone to investigate possible plane crash. Please call law enforcement officers.

Then, he wrote STOP in large letters on the side of his car.

About thirty minutes later, a fish and game inspector stopped. He took the note to the Cedar City Sheriff's Office, and Sheriff Otto Pfief gathered a party of volunteers and returned to the site. When they searched, they found no trace of a plane crash, but they found Private Gerry Irwin unconscious in the field. Ninety minutes had passed since he had first seen the glowing object.

Irwin was taken to the hospital in Cedar City, where a Dr. Broadbent could find nothing physically wrong with him. Irwin was merely asleep, and could not be awakened! Dr. Broadbent could find no explanation for this, so his diagnosis was "hysteria", meaning that his condition could not be attributed to any organic disease.

more...

http://ufoexperiences.blogspot.com/2007/03/gerry-irwin.html
Yeah... stuff kinda like that. Haha.

Dugway is becoming the new Area 51. Head into the west desert and you'll see all sorts of interesting items. Just don't wander out into the Dugway desert as you may not come back out.
Are we even aloud out there? That's a huge plot of testing grounds.

Dr. Nebz
05-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Cuberant Basin, a place I have been to, has some interesting published history. It is famous for one of the most notorious Big Foot sightings in all of Utah. I have gone there twice, and seen some not normal shiz if you know what I mean. I have full on witnesses to the events and things I saw out there. I never saw "The Dude", but what I saw and what happened was not normal for a wilderness experience. And trust me, I have been all over the place. We hit a pond in the basin exploring it for the first time there in 2009, and as we entered the ponds meadow, find a half eaten deer leg, meat still on it pretty fresh laying in the grass. It still had a lot of meat on it, and it was pretty fresh. We also saw on our way up to the next pond, was what looked to be the largest "hair ball" I have even seen laying in the meadow. All four of us got a pretty strange feeling being there, like we were being watched, and we moved on to the next pond quickly. Other than that, my 2009 trip was uneventful. In 2010 I traveled there with ibenick in September 2010. We fished right after we pitched camp and caught a couple and roped them up to clean them later for dinner. As it got dark, Nick's dog got agitated at something s/sw of camp, and Nick hit the brights on the headlamp and we could see two sets up eyes just up from camp. My first instinct was deer, but they moved quite weird for deer, and they were for sure looking right at us. I wandered towards them to try to get a reaction and they dispersed west from camp and were gone. Not too spooky, but not your normal encounter with wildlife. As the evening went on, the second half of our party showed up and we all got settled in. Me and Nick decided fish for breakfast would be good, so I went down and tied off the fish in the line so they could not wiggle off in the middle of the night. The next morning, the fish were gone, but the rope was still stuck in the shore, but the knot was undone and the fish were gone. If it were a predator up there, and they took the fish, the rope would have gone with them. Not saying what took them, but it would have to be hands that undid that rope. Whomever or whatever took them was like saying, "thanks for the fish," and put my stringer right back where it was, like being courteous. Maybe fish bandits, who knows, but makes you go Hmmm for sure thinking about it. Nothing other than that occurred on that trip FYI.

This sighting in 1977 made all the local news. This below was the article in the Ogden- Standard Examiner:

Thursday, August 25, 1977
8 Hikers Spot Elusive 'Bigfoot' In High Uinta's

(http://www.bfro.net/GDB/CNTS/UT/SM/ut_sm001.htm)By Bert Strand Outdoor Editor
Standard-Examiner (Ogden, Utah)

Two North Ogden men and six young companions said today they watched a "gorilla-like" creature in the High Uintah Mountains that matched reports of 'Big Foot."

Jay Barker, who has hunted big game animals for years in the area, said the creature was estimated at being 10 feet tall.

He said it was covered with a white mantle of hair over its shoulders and half-way down its huge body.

The lower portion of the creature was dark colored, said Mr. Barker who said after it spotted his party it ambled off on its hind legs.

HIKES TO RIDGE

Mr. Barker and his two sons Brent, 12, and Danny, 6, had hiked to the top of the ridge between Pass Lake and Cuberant Basin at the head of Weber River drainage.

They reached the top of the ridge at noon Monday and made contact with Larry Beeson, and his three sons, Scott, 14, Michael, 11, David, 5, and Paul, 14.

About that time, they looked down upon a small alpine lake about one half mile below them and saw the creature standing on its edge.

CREATURE TURNS

At first, Mr. Barker thought he was looking at an elk. Then the creature turned to look up at the party after a couple of the boys had knocked rocks loose that rolled.

"What are we looking at?" said an amazed Mr. Beeson as the creature turned and walked off on its hind legs.

Mr. Barker said the distance was too far to get a good look at the creature's face, but he said it moved through scattered trees, turning its head back to look at them from time to time.

FOUR MINUTES

He said they watched it for some four minutes while it covered about one half mile through the scattered trees and then disappeared into heavy timber.

Startled and almost dumbfounded, the group stared. "That thing is standing on two legs," said one member of the amazed party as they looked.

Mr. Barker said the party went down to where they had seen the creature after it disappeared. They found "paw-like" imprints in the earth, but the ground was too hard and dry to leave a clear imprint.

He said the paw mark was "huge" and resembled that made by a palm and toes. The party followed the path of the creature to the timber and found other scruff marks on the rocks and in the dry ground and grass.

HEAVY TIMBER

Mr. Barker said the group thought better about following the hairy creature into the heavy timber.

Excited and unable to sleep, Mr. Barker said he and his boys were too tired after their experience to make the return trip of over six miles back to their camper near Pass Lake.

They spent Monday night huddled about a campfire at Fish Lake near where the creature had been seen and came out Tuesday.

Mr. Barker estimated the elevation of the small lake where the creature was seen at about 12,000 feet. It was above the timber line.

SHEEP SCARED

He also said a sheepherder in the Gold Hills area below, Arlo Fawcett of Roy, reported he has been unable to get his sheep to stay in the area where the creature was seen.

Mr. Fawcett reportedly said he would take his sheep into the area to graze, and they would beat him back to camp, apparently filled with fear.

The herder also said its the first summer this has happened. Its also the first summer that he has failed to see or hear coyotes in the area.

Utah wildlife officials, informed of the incident, said they will ride into the area on horses to check the area.

FITS GRIZZLY

Jerry Dahlberg, conservation officer, northern region, Utah Division of Wildlife Resources, when informed of the creature, said the description fits a grizzly bear "to a T," all except walking upright for such a long distance.

Officer Dahlberg says he plans a horseback trip into the area over the Labor Day weekend.

Mr. Beeson said when they reached the area where the hairy creature was seen, they found the carcass of a rabbit that had been completely "skinned as by a human" and partially eaten.

Sombeech
05-25-2011, 07:16 AM
Utah State House? some strange things happen up there in February. :cool2:

Tom :moses:

:haha:

jbdavies
05-25-2011, 09:37 AM
Cuberant Basin, a place I have been to, has some interesting published history. It is famous for one of the most notorious Big Foot sightings in all of Utah. I have gone there twice, and seen some not normal shiz if you know what I mean. I have full on witnesses to the events and things I saw out there. I never saw "The Dude", but what I saw and what happened was not normal for a wilderness experience. And trust me, I have been all over the place. We hit a pond in the basin exploring it for the first time there in 2009, and as we entered the ponds meadow, find a half eaten deer leg, meat still on it pretty fresh laying in the grass. It still had a lot of meat on it, and it was pretty fresh. We also saw on our way up to the next pond, was what looked to be the largest "hair ball" I have even seen laying in the meadow. All four of us got a pretty strange feeling being there, like we were being watched, and we moved on to the next pond quickly. Other than that, my 2009 trip was uneventful. In 2010 I traveled there with ibenick in September 2010. We fished right after we pitched camp and caught a couple and roped them up to clean them later for dinner. As it got dark, Nick's dog got agitated at something s/sw of camp, and Nick hit the brights on the headlamp and we could see two sets up eyes just up from camp. My first instinct was deer, but they moved quite weird for deer, and they were for sure looking right at us. I wandered towards them to try to get a reaction and they dispersed west from camp and were gone. Not too spooky, but not your normal encounter with wildlife. As the evening went on, the second half of our party showed up and we all got settled in. Me and Nick decided fish for breakfast would be good, so I went down and tied off the fish in the line so they could not wiggle off in the middle of the night. The next morning, the fish were gone, but the rope was still stuck in the shore, but the knot was undone and the fish were gone. If it were a predator up there, and they took the fish, the rope would have gone with them. Not saying what took them, but it would have to be hands that undid that rope. Whomever or whatever took them was like saying, "thanks for the fish," and put my stringer right back where it was, like being courteous. Maybe fish bandits, who knows, but makes you go Hmmm for sure thinking about it. Nothing other than that occurred on that trip FYI.
Wow. That's kind of intense. Haha. I've never witnessed anything like that before. I wanna go out there with nightvision! Haha.

Dr. Nebz
05-25-2011, 05:29 PM
Wow. That's kind of intense. Haha. I've never witnessed anything like that before. I wanna go out there with nightvision! Haha.

Yeah, I have seen a lot of weird shiz in my day, but these events were just "puzzling." I am not sure I want to know what was out there. It might have put a damper on our trip. And we had a great time that weekend. I will go back, never felt that menacing feeling in Cuberant like I got from Grizzly's wandering in and out of our area in Denali, but for sure made you go WTF.

ibenick
05-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Those eyes were a lot creepier than you gave them credit, Nebz. At first sighting they were pretty much in our camp as we walked back in from pumping. We followed them into the woods for a good distance, at least a few hundred feet, if not more. They would disappear and then reappear. One set was tall and one set was short. We got close enough to them that I absolutely swear I could see beyond them but I could never see a figure. That happened a couple of times while we were in 'pursuit'. Creeped me the f*$k out. So glad I wasn't solo for that experience.

REDFOX
05-25-2011, 08:22 PM
:haha:

I remember a few years ago when one of the senators got the boner of the week award from the radio station x96 for comments and ideas that he broadcast during the February BS session.

jbdavies
05-25-2011, 11:24 PM
Yeah, I have seen a lot of weird shiz in my day, but these events were just "puzzling." I am not sure I want to know what was out there. It might have put a damper on our trip. And we had a great time that weekend. I will go back, never felt that menacing feeling in Cuberant like I got from Grizzly's wandering in and out of our area in Denali, but for sure made you go WTF.
Should go back with nightvision! Haha.

Those eyes were a lot creepier than you gave them credit, Nebz. At first sighting they were pretty much in our camp as we walked back in from pumping. We followed them into the woods for a good distance, at least a few hundred feet, if not more. They would disappear and then reappear. One set was tall and one set was short. We got close enough to them that I absolutely swear I could see beyond them but I could never see a figure. That happened a couple of times while we were in 'pursuit'. Creeped me the f*$k out. So glad I wasn't solo for that experience.
I read about that on your blog/site/thing. Pretty creepy.

Dr. Nebz
05-25-2011, 11:35 PM

Oh, I totally agree, they were spooky. I was expecting them to be deer, but when they moved, it is like they were playing with us. A deer is not going to play with a human being. I guess I had written them off as a deer or something, until I saw a you tube video of a deer's eyes caught by a headlamp. These were far too bright and moved too fast for them to be deer. I am not sure what they were, but it is one of those things that I will never forget. I know when Colin, Chris and Muskie showed up, I was really glad we had a few more people and dogs in camp. I still want to know what happened to our fish. For sure something going on out there. "What" is going on out there is anybody's guess, but I know I have had some strange experiences in that basin 2 years in a row. :eek2:

ExpUt
05-26-2011, 08:53 AM
Two of my favorite resources on the subject:
Lost Landscapes: Utah's Ghosts, Mysterious Creatures, and Aliens - Linda Dunning
Mystery's and Legends of Utah: True Stories of the Unsolved and Unexplained - Michael O'reilly

Sombeech
05-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Awesome stories. I almost wish I had a personal experience like that but I'd probably go crazy and never make it out of there.

uintahiker
05-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Mystery's and Legends of Utah: True Stories of the Unsolved and Unexplained - Michael O'reilly

I picked it up. In my mind the author reaches quite a bit on several of the stories, struggles getting facts straight, etc.

accadacca
05-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Two of my favorite resources on the subject:
Lost Landscapes: Utah's Ghosts, Mysterious Creatures, and Aliens - Linda Dunning

I might snag these off Amazon. There are some interested related books too. :eek2: :haha:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fs%3Fie%3DUT F8%26x%3D0%26ref_%3Dnb_sb_noss%26y%3D0%26field-keywords%3DLost%2520Landscapes%253A%2520Utah%2527s %2520Ghosts%252C%2520Mysterious%2520Creatures%252C %2520and%2520Aliens%2520-%2520Linda%2520Dunning%26url%3Dsearch-alias%253Daps%23&tag=bogloutdcomm-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fs%3Fie%3DUT F8%26x%3D0%26ref_%3Dnb_sb_noss%26y%3D0%26field-keywords%3DMystery%2527s%2520and%2520Legends%2520o f%2520Utah%253A%2520True%2520Stories%2520of%2520th e%2520Unsolved%2520and%2520Unexplained%2520-%2520Michael%2520O%2527reilly%26url%3Dsearch-alias%253Daps%23&tag=bogloutdcomm-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957

Dr. Nebz
05-27-2011, 11:04 AM
I might snag these off Amazon. There are some interested related books too. :eek2: :haha:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fs%3Fie%3DUT F8%26x%3D0%26ref_%3Dnb_sb_noss%26y%3D0%26field-keywords%3DLost%2520Landscapes%253A%2520Utah%2527s %2520Ghosts%252C%2520Mysterious%2520Creatures%252C %2520and%2520Aliens%2520-%2520Linda%2520Dunning%26url%3Dsearch-alias%253Daps%23&tag=bogloutdcomm-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fs%3Fie%3DUT F8%26x%3D0%26ref_%3Dnb_sb_noss%26y%3D0%26field-keywords%3DMystery%2527s%2520and%2520Legends%2520o f%2520Utah%253A%2520True%2520Stories%2520of%2520th e%2520Unsolved%2520and%2520Unexplained%2520-%2520Michael%2520O%2527reilly%26url%3Dsearch-alias%253Daps%23&tag=bogloutdcomm-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957

The Mike O'reilly book looks a bit more interesting. There is a lot of unexplained stuff out there.

gloo
05-29-2011, 01:59 PM
I've heard weird things happen in Skull Valley. I can't speak much on it personally though

jbdavies
05-30-2011, 02:56 AM
I've heard weird things happen in Skull Valley. I can't speak much on it personally though

Where is Skull Valley?

Win
05-30-2011, 06:43 AM
I've read a couple of stories about the Escalante Desert around Modena and Lund. Here's a link to one story:

http://www.rense.com/general/utah.htm

Looks like I'll be shopping at Amazon as soon as I finish Blood and Thunder.

Win

accadacca
05-30-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm watching a show called "Finding Bigfoot" on Animal Planet. They are in northern Georgia. Will the elusive creature be found? :lol8:

Sombeech
05-30-2011, 09:22 PM

I've heard something strange is always happening out there too.

Deadeye008
05-31-2011, 08:51 AM
When I was in High School some friends and I went to the Ogden Cemetery and saw Florence "Flo" the ghost. Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

gloo
05-31-2011, 10:14 AM
Where is Skull Valley?

its the valley west of tooele. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=skull+valley+utah&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x80ad30e06da7fbc3:0x17a8cefbaa3c9b8d,Skull+ Valley,+UT&gl=us&ei=-iHlTYXlAZP6swOE_pkW&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBsQ8gEwAA

trackrunner
05-31-2011, 12:04 PM
I remember a few years back in the Henry's reading a guest book at a campsite, trail registers, summit registers about alien visits and alien anal probing.

hope you succeed :haha: :2thumbs:

jbdavies
05-31-2011, 01:55 PM
its the valley west of tooele. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=skull+valley+utah&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x80ad30e06da7fbc3:0x17a8cefbaa3c9b8d,Skull+ Valley,+UT&gl=us&ei=-iHlTYXlAZP6swOE_pkW&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBsQ8gEwAA
Hmmm... that's not too far away!

Glockguy
06-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Here is an interesting one I read online (not mine)

I grew up in Salt Lake City, across the alley from a kid named Ron. When we were like 14 a kid named Nick moved in down the street. Nick wasn’t a Mormon but joined our scout troop, and the three of us became good friends. As scouts, we used to camp all the time at this place called Stansbury Island in the Great Salt Lake. In dry years when the lake was low it was really just a peninsula, but even when the lake was high you could get out to the island on a causeway. It was basically a little range of mountains that stuck up out of the lake. We had a great Scoutmaster who used to take us camping two times a month, most of the time to Stansbury. It was not that great of a place to camp, but we kind of felt like it was our place. We never saw anyone else out there.

When we were Juniors, Nick and I started partying and hanging out less with Ron. After we graduated, I went back east for college, Ron went to the U for a while before going on a Mormon mission, and Nick worked at Arby’s. After my Freshman year I spent the whole summer in Salt Lake working at a refinery, so I hung out with Nick and other friends from high school. The next summer I was only in Salt Lake for a few weeks. By that time Nick had started at the community college and was hanging out with these angst ridden poets, actors and other dorks. They didn’t like me much and the feeling was mutual. Nick’s gothish girlfriend wouldn’t call me by name, but always called me “frat boy.” She was a peach. Nick had started to do pot and acid and other stuff with his poet buddies, but I really didn’t care about any of that and we still had a good time when we went out with some of the old crowd.

Ron got home that winter from his mission in Argentina. I talked to him a few times over the school year and we agreed it would be fun to get together for a campout the next summer on Stansbury. I called Nick about going and he thought it was a great idea, and made sure that I had called Ron. We picked a date during the week I was going to be in Salt Lake that summer. Nick said he would call a couple of other guys who had been in our troop.

It turned out that just me, Nick and Ron could go. Nick had just totaled his beloved Firebird so we took Ron’s car, or actually his little brother’s car (little brother was now on a mission). It was a little Japanese station wagon, I think a Subaru. Ron picked me up at my mom’s and then we went and picked Nick up at his apartment in west Salt Lake. We had all been good friends, and it didn’t take long before we were conversing as comfortably as we had when we were 15.

Nick said he had been camping out at Stansbury a few times and that he had found some really cool spots, including an old mine, on the east side of the island (the road runs along the west side). We had always camped on the north end, and had never really been over there when we were scouts.

The car died on the way out there, right after we got off I-80 and started heading towards the island. I can’t remember what the problem was, but Ron said that you just had to let the car sit for half an hour. We waited and sure enough it started. We ended up camping in a spot about halfway down the island, where Nick said you could hike over the mountain to these cool spots he had found.

We brought KFC that night for dinner and ended up talking around the fire until 2 or 3 in the morning. I remember it was a full moon and that you could see your shadow at night. We had pop tarts for breakfast and went bunny hunting in the morning with 22s (I had a 10/22 and Ron had a lever action, I think a Marlin). We always did that but I don’t ever remember seeing very many rabbits out there. There were more cattle on Stansbury than wabbits.

At about 10 we left camp and took the Subaru up this little jeep trail that led to a water tank. Nick told us to bring some flashlights and he brought a rope. He led us to a foot trail that went to the east side of the island. About halfway down the mountain the trail led to this rock face kind of shaped like a bowl, and on the south side of it there was an old mine. It was a horizontal shaft heading southwest. Somebody had put steel bars over the door, but they had been pulled off and were lying on the ground. I remember sitting down to get all of the stickers out of my socks while the other two were talking.

The mine was a about six feet high, so me and Ron had to stoop a little. It was about three feet wide. After about 10 feet we came to T, and Nick had us take a right so we were heading pretty much directly north. We probably went about 150 feet or so, and by this time it would have been pitch black if not for the flashlights. The tunnel was straight but going down a little until it came to a big pit. The pit was only about 10 feet deep but it was at least that wide. There a piece of metal sticking out of the rock in the floor. Nick wrapped the middle of the rope around the peg and lowered himself down into the hole. Me and Ron followed. There was a rope on the other side of the pit already tied to the top. Ron was looking that way, and when I looked back and Nick was pulling the rope we had just climbed down into the hole. “What are you doing, we have to go out that way?” I asked. He said that we would need the rope later on, and showed me that he could throw the rope back up there and catch it on the peg when we needed to get out. He pulled the rope back down and put it over his shoulder. We all climbed out of the pit to the other side.

The tunnel continued north, going down a little more now than before. There were some tunnels taking off from the main passage on the left. Some of them only went a few feet, others you could not see the end of them. After a few minutes of walking, the tunnel suddenly seemed darker. At first I thought the rock was just darker, but I looked at it more carefully and it was covered with writing. I said “Nick, check this out. There is writing all over the wall.” He turned around and came back to where I was.

“Yeah, isn’t it weird. “

I could not make heads or tails out of the letters. Some of them looked familiar but all of them didn’t look like Roman letters, like they were Cyrillic or Greek or something. The writing covered the walls and ceiling. I wondered aloud if maybe some Greek or Russian miners had dug these tunnels. They brought in people from all over to work the mines. I turned back up the tunnel to see what Ron thought, and he was standing about six feet behind us.

“Ron, can you see this?” He didn’t say anything. He was pointing his flashlight right in my eyes so I couldn’t see him.

I started walking towards him and when I got back to him he said “Let’s go.” He turned and started walking back down the tunnel. Nick by this time had walked up and we both grabbed Ron’s arms. We both badgered him to continue up the tunnel. Nick said we were almost to the end. We finally convinced Ron to keep going, but he stayed behind the two of us.

As we went on, the writing on the wall got even thicker. Nick seemed like he was in a hurry so I could not take a good look at it, but it looked like there were little pictures mixed up in the writing too. I could not really tell what I was seeing, but I thought there were some pictures of skulls, like little Iron Maiden skulls. By this time I thought Nick had drawn on the walls and he was trying to freak us out.

After another minute or so of walking we came to a more open area. It was about 15x15 feet, with an old rickety wood door at the end. Nick set the rope down and stepped aside so me and Ron could file into the room. The walls of the room were bare rock, but I looked up at the ceiling, which was pretty high like 12 feet, and it appeared that there was more writing up there.

Nick walked up to the door and knocked on it two times. I was smirking by this time. Ron was by the entrance pointing his flashlight at Nick. He said “What the hell are you doing?”

Nick said “Just wait, this is really cool.”

Ron grabbed the rope and then turned around, saying “I’m leaving” over his shoulder. I let out a little laugh and turned back to Nick, smiling. Before I could say anything he ran past me and tackled Ron. Both of them hit the floor. I stood there for a while looking at Nick sitting on top of Ron, punching him in the face over and over again. Finally I ran up and grabbed Nick by the shoulders and tried to pull him off Ron. He turned around and punched me right in the nose. I fell back, but Ron was able to throw Nick off and get to his feet. Nick grabbed Ron and pulled him back into the room. Nick was pulling Ron towards the door. I got up and tried to pull Nick’s arms off of Ron. Nick tripped Ron, who fell hard on the floor, and then he turned and punched me again in the nose, knocking me back on my butt. Both Ron and I were a lot bigger than Nick but he was kicking the crap out of both of us.

Ron bolted for the tunnel. Again Nick grabbed him and started pulling him backwards. I got to my feet and grabbed my flashlight off the floor. It was a polished aluminum flashlight that took two D batteries. I held on to the end with the light and smashed the other end into Nick’s head. I did that three times until he fell. Ron ran out of the room, grabbing his light and the rope on his way down the tunnel.

I watched him go and started to stagger after him. After taking a few steps down the tunnel I was hit in the back and Nick knocked me to the floor. My breath was knocked out and I dropped my light. He got up off me and grabbed me by the back of my shirt. He was pulling me back towards the room. I was grabbing at the floor, but it was too smooth to gain any purchase. I grabbed my light as he was pulling me past it, and flipped over with everything I had and knocked him on the head again. He fell backwards. I jumped on top of him and hit him again. The flashlight went out after that second hit. I kept hitting him with the light, and just lost all restraint. I must have hit him five times before I regained my senses and got up and backed away. Then I heard the squeak of rusty hinges as a gust of cool damp air rushed up the tunnel.

I ran. It was pitch black but I sprinted down the tunnel and didn’t touch a single wall. I don’t remember the pit or the T, I just remember running. When I got to the entrance of the tunnel, I kept running and tripped over the fallen gate. I fell hard on to one of the bars with my left leg just below my knee and badly scratched up my hands. I got up and limped as fast as I could up the trail without looking back. I noticed there was blood all over my shirt.

I was afraid Ron had left me, but when I got to the water tank, he was sitting in the car with the motor running. He had has his rifle out and was pointing it at me. I yelled to him and when he saw it was me he waived me over. He kept repeating “Let’s go, hurry!”I hobbled over to the car and opened the door.

“What about Nick?” I asked.

I was loading a banana magazine into my rifle. “Screw Nick, let’s go” said Ron.

“We just can’t leave him out here, I think I killed him.”

“Good, lets go.”

Right then Nick came sprinting over the top of the hill. He had blood running down his forehead and he was running full blast right towards us. I jumped in the car and Ron sped off. For a bit Nick was gaining on us, and I leaned out of the window and pointed my rifle at him. Ron was yelling “Shoot him!” But pretty soon he was way behind us. We stopped at the camp site and threw our sleeping bags and stuff into the car. We kept the engine running and our rifles in our hands while we scanned the road behind us. I left one of my canteens for Nick.

When we got to the causeway, Ron told me I looked like hell. I got a towel and tried to clean all the blood off my face. We just kept yelling “What the hell” at each other.

The car died again after we hit I-80, a few miles short of Black Rock. We pulled off to the shoulder. Ron got out of the car to look at the road behind us. He left his rifle in the passenger side of the car. I stayed in the car because my shirt was so bloody. I kept my loaded rifle by my side. I guess if we had seen Nick we would have shot him right there on the interstate. After about an hour the car started and we drove back to Salt Lake.

Later that night I called Nick’s apartment. His roommate answered. I asked if Nick was there and he said sure. I could hear him call “Nick, phone.” After a minute I could hear the phone being picked up, and someone breathing on the line. He didn’t say anything. I hung up.

I hadn’t heard from either of those guys in years, but Ron eventually found my sister through Facebook and he sent me an email. He has been doing well and is now a Mormon Bishop. That got me thinking about Nick. I searched the internet and eventually found an obituary, dated about 12 years after the camping trip. The obituary does not say how he died. I was kind of hoping to ask him what in the hell was going on that day.

Sombeech
06-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Wow Glockguy, that is freakin' creepy! :eek2: I'd be wanting to head back to that cave to see what the hell was in that room.

Where did you find that story by the way?

I'm usually not much of a reader but I was hooked.

Dr. Nebz
06-01-2011, 09:11 PM
^^^WTF? Where did you read this story? Seems like more of an insane individual, not an odd phenomenon. There are a lot of insane individuals here in Utah, so not very odd for this place. I mean from the Hi-Fi killers to the dude busted having sex with birds at the Tracy Aviary, there are some whack jobs here in Utah for sure. But where is the paranormal part of this story? Is it possession? Demonic sacrifice? I am kind of confused.

Glockguy
06-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Pretty interesting huh? Not sure how much I believe, but it is very entertaining. It is from a thread that has been going for over 3 years on AR15.com. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=762310

Here is another Utah one, this time in Bell's canyon:

Okay, here's my story. I guess It's been long enough that I can type it out without freaking out.The guys has definitely been in the canyon and explains it well.

This happened a while ago in the fall, so about a two years ago. I love hiking in the fall, it reminds me a lot of hunting with my dad. The tree colors, the cool air, the smells... It's all so much better than any other time of the year. Anyway, I always go hiking alone. I like the time to think, I like to explore whatever catches my eye, and I like to work to my own pace without having to cater to anyone else's timeline or stamina. I always take a pack with plenty of water, a little survival kit, flashlight, tp––the normal outdoor stuff. I also carry a large fixed blade knife on the shoulder strap and a Smith and & Wesson M&P9 on my hip. Yes, it gets me strange looks on the trails sometimes, but those hippies can kiss my ass if they think I'm going to wander around in the mountains unarmed.

So it's around the beginning of October and I'm in Salt Lake City. I have a Friday off from work and I decide to re-do a hike I'd done previously in the spring: Bells Canyon near Sandy, Utah. The trail starts down near the entrance to Little Cottonwood canyon but the trail works up a steep, narrow draw nearly to the top of the mountain peek without ever going over into Little Cottonwood itself. Bells canyon is built like a giant chute cut out of brilliant white granite. There's a reservoir near the bottom where most weekend warriors will climb the half mile to have a picnic and then go home. There's also a reservoir at the top, which is the final goal for the serious hiker. Behind the lower reservoir the canyon begins to climb rather sharply with gorgeous, huge granite formations rising to either side. Along the trail up there are a couple waterfalls which bring the more tenacious crowds, but past that you rarely see anybody on the trail, even on the busy weekends. About three and a half miles (and 3000ft) up the canyon it levels out into a bowl with a beautiful little meadow and some aspen groves. This is as far as I'd made it the first time that spring before turning back because I was pooped and out of time. The trail continues up the south side of the bowl for an incredibly steep two-mile, 1500ft gain until you reach the upper reservoir.

I hit the trailhead around around 9:30am and began the hike up. The colors were quite breath-taking. The scurb oak was showing various shades of red and orange and the aspen trees were a brilliant shade of yellow. It was a clear day and the sun lit up the leaves all around the canyon. I met a few people on their way down, but never saw anyone ahead or behind me on their way up. I finally reached the bowl area around noon. By that time I was snagging the fine spider-web lines across the trail so I knew where was nobody ahead of me on the trail. I was alone on the mountain and it felt awesome.

After wandering around the bowl area and taking some photos, I started on the switchback trail which lead up the bowl's southern side. The switchback eventually led out onto a ridge of smooth granite which fell away to the right into a deeper crease in the draw I was following up. On the opposite side there were areas of rockslide with chunks of the granite ranging from couch size down to basketball. There were sparse areas of aspen and pine throughout the whole area, with intermittent patches of scrub oak. Following the granite ridge up was a stone cold bitch of a hike, the thing kept going up and up. It was like god's own stairmaster. Luckily the scenery helped out and it was quite pleasant to sit on a rock and gaze back down the curving canyon.

Eventually the trail peaked over the lip of the bowl and I reached the reservoir. It's quite neat, there's a dam built out of hand-carved chunks of granite on the one end, with the body of water filling the area behind it. Being fall time the reservoir was quite low and there was hardly any water. Unfortunately during the spring when the reservoir would be full the whole area is covered in snow and would make an awkward hike. By the spillway there was an area of old mortar with names and dates which were carved when the dam was built. The names were dated at Sept 1938. So those poor shmucks hiked up the mountain about 70 years ago with all their tools and when they got there they cut, carved, hauled, and placed enough large blocks of stone to build the dam. Wow, my hat's off to them. I explored around a bit more and found another tiny pond off to the side which was still full. It was green with algae, but pretty cool nonetheless. By that time it was getting midway through the afternoon and I only had about four hours of light left in the day, so I decided it was time to go. My legs were pretty tired so I knew it was going to suck on the way down, but at least I wasn't going up anymore.

I found a different trail than the one I came up on leading back down from the dam. Although I was eager to get back down I decided to follow it to see if it was better than the one I came up on. As it moved over the lip of the bowl down into steeper area I could see that this one lead across the bottom of the gorge down along several areas of huge granite boulders piled up at the base of the ridges. Not quite as easy, but still pretty neat. I was working across a flow of particularly large boulders when I stopped for a drink and a snack. The boulders where huge, about the size of a kitchen or dumptruck. I had to be careful working my way across them, some parts required a scramble or small jump, with most of it requiring hands and feet. The chucks of rock were large and oddly shaped enough that they left deep black crevices and spaces underneath them. The last thing I wanted to do was slip because anyway you fell would mean something would get broken.

The boulder I was on was pretty big and jutted out above the others. I took my pack off and sat down, taking a pull from a water bottle and started in on some sort of energy bar. The mountain ridge to the south was pretty high and steep so it block the afternoon sun where I was sitting. There was still plenty of light but the shadows were growing long and the crevasses all around me under the boulders were now pretty much black. As I'm munching away I hear some sort of rustling sound down from what seems like the boulder below the one I'm sitting on. It's quiet for a few more minutes and then I hear it again. I'm almost done with the energy bar, and I'm thinking 'squirrel,' so I toss the last piece of of the energy bar down onto the boulder below mine. I watch it for a minute while I take a drink of water, but the sound doesn't come back and the bit of energy bar just sits there. Oh well. I shove everything back into the pack and zip it up. I'm just about to swing it around on my back when I glance down and my heart almost stops. A pale white arm, a human arm, thin and grimy reaches up out of the crevice and snatches the chunk of energy bar and disappears back into the blackness.

I think I shouted something like "WHAT THE F*CK!!!" or "F*CK ME!!!" at the top of my lungs, and my M&P9 suddenly appeared in my hands. I threw the pack on and adrenaline is like spewing out of my eyeballs. I do remember hearing a weird 'chuffing' or breathing sound a coming up underneath me couple times as I did a mad scramble to get off those damn rocks. In my mind's eye I kept seeing a bony white hand reaching up and snagging my arm or leg or something. I knew if I slipped or missed a jump I'd fall into one of those cracks and then that thing whatever it was would have me. When I hit the trail on the other side of the boulder flow I looked back once. For the space of two heartbeats I saw nothing. And then what had looked like a smaller boulder in the middle of the rock flow moved and dropped out of sight behind a larger rock. After that, I was gone. Despite being tired before I practically flew down the canyon. It's probably good I didn't meet anyone on the way down because my gun was in my hand the whole time and I was very, very jumpy.

Haven't been up that trail since, and there's no way in hell I'll ever go back up there. I have no idea what that thing was. To this day I can't walk across boulder patches like that when I'm hiking or hunting. I keep seeing that white hand reaching up out of the blackness...

Dr. Nebz
06-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Hmm, I've been to Upper Bells, even camped there overnight solo. Never had anything like this happen. No bad omens or anything, well except the fishing was a bit tough. I think solitude and altitude can play tricks on the mind. Not sure if I am buying this story. Just sayin....................

rmoat
06-02-2011, 04:36 PM
My grandparents have a lot of scary/weird stories that have happened here in Utah, including one that happened primarily to my dad.

At the time of this story, they lived in Bridgeland, UT (in between Duchesne, UT and Myton, UT), have moved a few times, but ultimately ended up moving back to the same place (which is where my grandparents still reside).
Anyways out in the Uintah Basin if you've ever been out there, you'll notice there is a bench. A lot of people live up on the bench, and down in the valley below the bench. There are a bunch of canyons all the way along the bench that go down into the valley.

My grandparents home is near the mouth of one of those canyon's, and at the time may have been only one of two homes that was around that area, right now there is about three or four.

Anyways, those canyons were very thick, and my dad told me how cougars, bobcats, and other wild things lived in the canyon. However, it was extremely thick as well, sort of like a jungle. On the bench above are fields, and they're constantly watered which has allowed that entire canyon to grow thick trees, vines, and all sorts of vegetation, with ponds, etc.

So in my grandparents home, it is very widespread, and my dad's bedroom was on one end of the house with a window facing the canyon, while all the other bedrooms were on the other side of the house.

So on one particular night, my dad was awoken by some terrible screeching far off up the canyon. The sound was getting closer, and closer. He could feel that something bad was coming, but as a normal person, or even a being a little kid, what do you do? Hide underneath your covers and not move an inch! That's exactly what he did. He felt that something bad was coming, and the screeching was getting closer and closer. He said how he pulled the covers over his head, and the screeching noise came up to his window. He recalls feeling the presence right outside of his window. His window is about 4 feet up, and he was thinking, this thing is looking in my room. Whatever it was, start scratching the side of the house (which had a wooden covering).
The dog was inside of the house, and it was going rampant. My grandma ran down to the other side of the house, calling my dad's name asking if he was okay, and whatever it was took off and they could hear it thrashing through their pond.
My grandpa ended up letting the dog out, and they heard the dog take off barking at whatever it was out towards their pond. The screeching continued, and whatever it was took off.
The next morning, they looked for the dog everywhere. Apparently they found the dog hiding underneath an old vehicle. For years you could see these four or so very long claw marks down underneath the window. I am wishing I would have taken a picture in time to have had it on camera, I do have one photo but you can really only make out one scratch nearly 40 years later. One thing for sure, it wasn't a cougar. From how my grandparents and dad talked about it, the screeching was a noise they've never heard.

My dad doesn't like to talk about it. Actually, whenever the topic has been brought up, he always jokes around saying it's too spooky to talk about. I mean, you could understand why, you wouldn't really want to bring back up horrifying memories of something that happened to you as a kid.

I grew up on the bench up above my grandparents, and that story always stuck with me. We'd often walk from my house down through the fields, and down that same canyon (40+ years later). It's still very thick, but of course there are no longer cougars. I did see a bobcat when I was younger. I always got bad feelings, as well as one of my cousins when we'd hike through there together or alone.

------

I have a story of my own that involve those canyons as well. I mentioned how I always got bad feelings along with my cousin when I'd go near there. Possibly an effect from always thinking about that story of the creature that came screeching down the canyon.

One night my dad told me to take the BB-Gun and my dog for a walk. Naturally I headed down towards the canyon, but decided to follow the old canal bank up above, which continually followed the bench around from canyon to the next canyon.
There are many deer around there as well, so wildlife is expected to be all over out there.
On that particular night, I was walking with my dog doing fine, made it past the first canyon without getting any weird feelings. I was good to go, so my dog and I kept chugging along the canal bank. We were nearing the next canyon, and I started to get a little spooked. It was starting to get dark, and I though that perhaps I'd reach the second canyon and head up to the very top.
However, I walked, stopped for a minute, walked, and thought I had heard something. I couldn't see down below me in the canyon because of the thickness of the trees and vegetation.
When suddenly something went crashing right below me. It definitely was not a deer. You know, they'll make the "thump, thump, thump" noise as they hop away. Pretty sure it wasn't a cow (as I was also near fields that had cows in them). No chance of an Elk being down that low, so I just froze. Normally my dog would go chasing after whatever it was, but this time it was a different story.
My dog took off up the hill up above, running away. He stopped halfway up, and was whimpering. I tried to call him back down, but he wouldn't budge. I could see him shivering up above, while whining, and he would not budge. I could tell he wanted to get out of there.
So here I was half way from the top and the bottom of this canyon, and after that few seconds of crashing down below I didn't hear another noise, which is odd, because the entire bottom is nothing but thick timber. So whatever it was, had stopped.
I slowly step by step climbed the hill to go straight up, rather than following the canyon up. I reached my dog, and he was so excited to get out of there, he just kept running way ahead. I couldn't get get him to come back. Usually he'd walk right around, or right with me always. But even a half a mile away from the canyon, he was still a full 50 yards ahead of me.

I'm not sure what it was, but it scared my dog bad enough, that my dog wasn't going to hesitate leaving... but thank goodness he didn't just ditch me. He has never done that to me in my life, even when there is something questionable that he may have been spooked over, he would run back to me, or my brothers, or dad. But certainly never away from both me, and whatever else was out there.

Now having been another 12+ years since that happened, whenever I visit out that way, I don't get those bad feelings as much. Whatever has lived in those canyons, if anything bad, most likely has moved on, or died. :)

I have some more stories, but I thought that would be enough reading for now. :)

Glockguy
06-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Interesting, thanks for sharing rmoat.

jbdavies
06-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Yay for spooky stories. Haha. Those are good everyone. :)

Keep them coming.

dmMatrix
06-04-2011, 10:57 AM
If you are in Cedar City you can find the "bloomers" building. That one just had some ghost hunters there recently. If you are in Brigham City there are the "old Indian Schools" that were used to teach Native Americans during World War II. Those are mostly all abandoned and boarded off but if you are there at the right times you can see some pretty interesting stuff. I haven't found it but there is a rumor that there are some underground tunnels that were used to travel from the schools to other parts of town. I have heard that cultists and the like were at one time using these tunnels to contact the underworld. But, there are many stories about people seeing ghosts in the Indian Schools.

Dr. Nebz
06-05-2011, 06:13 PM
Hey rmoat, you should check out this site: http://www.bfro.net/

This is the scientific research being done on the encounters with bipedal creatures living in the wilderness. From what you described sounds like a classic Sasquatch encounter, both the screeching incident with the scratches on the wood on your house, and the way your dog acted when you went on the walk in the canyon. They have recorded audio and investigated encounters on the BRFO site. Maybe you heard the same thing. Let us know. Very interesting stories, and the area you lived or still live has a history of encounters.

Scott P
06-05-2011, 07:46 PM
I've heard weird things happen in Skull Valley.

That's because the scouts hold (or used to hold) their jamborees there. All kinds of weird stuff happens at scout jamborees. Or at least it did when I was a scout.

rmoat
06-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Hey rmoat, you should check out this site:

This is the scientific research being done on the encounters with bipedal creatures living in the wilderness. From what you described sounds like a classic Sasquatch encounter, both the screeching incident with the scratches on the wood on your house, and the way your dog acted when you went on the walk in the canyon. They have recorded audio and investigated encounters on the BRFO site. Maybe you heard the same thing. Let us know. Very interesting stories, and the area you lived or still live has a history of encounters.

Interesting! Thanks for posting that link. I'll definitely have to check it out. I'm sure my dad also had a "distant" encounter when he was a little older as well. Out in the Uintah Basin there are trails all over out there for riding motorcycles, four wheelers, etc.
My dad tells of a story of how he was riding his tote gote in the hills when he was younger, and this bear was running on two. He went home and told his dad about seeing a bear down in the country. My grandpa told my dad that bears don't run on two legs.

Very interesting. Thanks, I'll check that out.

pixie1339
08-25-2011, 05:08 PM
My son and I were camping in Comb Wash earlier this year and one night we were sitting by the fire after dinner and doing some stargazing. We saw two lights in the sky that could have potentially been UFO's. We saw one and then another near it after about 10 minutes. They were red lights about the size of a plane, but they were moving very quickly and erratically. Up, down, forward, backward, all over the place. I've never seen flight patterns like that before. Whether it was UFO's or not, I can't say for sure, but it was definitely one of the weirdest things I've seen before.

LOAH
08-27-2011, 10:14 PM
An old boss of mine says he was face to face with something huge and hairy that was crouching down on its knees one night while camping. It wasn't Cuberant or the Uintas, but it was around Little Deer Creek, I guess.

He thinks it was Cain.

Personally, I've seen some strange lights in the sky, west of Utah Lake. Formations of them. They were red and would disappear and reappear, making a long chain extending diagonally (from my perspective in Slate Canyon) upward toward the south.

Having been around aircraft since my youth (Father is a pilot), the lights didn't seem to resemble anything I'd seen before and they weren't moving in a manner that was consistent with "our" aircraft.

Kind of cool, but nothing like what I saw outside of Spokane, WA one night...

gnwatts
09-05-2011, 09:43 AM
This is not first person, so it probably doesn't count, but it happened to a friend of mine who I trusted back then.
He was driving from Mexican Hat through monument valley around 2am, and all of a sudden one of the monuments was illuminated, completely and evenly, he was several miles from it. He started to pull over and discovered a pick up truck with an elderly couple from phoenix checking it out too. So the three of them watched it for about 1/2 hour, then it turned off.

rockgremlin
09-06-2011, 12:27 PM
The Utah Legislature this past July decided to legalize fireworks that have always been deemed very very illegal and bootlegged from that heathen state to the northeast...you know who you are.

I thought that was a very odd phenomenon...

dmMatrix
09-06-2011, 03:44 PM
The Utah Legislature this past July decided to legalize fireworks that have always been deemed very very illegal and bootlegged from that heathen state to the northeast...you know who you are.

I thought that was a very odd phenomenon...

indeed, who would have thought they would use their heads for once. now kids are lighting them off in the streets instead of the dry mountains.

Dr. Nebz
09-07-2011, 05:04 AM
An old boss of mine says he was face to face with something huge and hairy that was crouching down on its knees one night while camping. It wasn't Cuberant or the Uintas, but it was around Little Deer Creek, I guess.

He thinks it was Cain.

Where is Little Deer Creek? Over in Heber?

It is a common thing here in Utah to reference Sasquatch as Cain from biblical tales. I am pretty sure if he exists, he was here long before the Bible. :nod:

Sombeech
09-07-2011, 09:10 AM
It is a common thing here in Utah to reference Sasquatch as Cain from biblical tales. I am pretty sure if he exists, he was here long before the Bible. :nod:

Technically Cain was there long before the Bible was published too :haha:

Dr. Nebz
09-07-2011, 10:27 AM

Ahh, duly noted. :mrgreen:

I'll brush up on my Cain research! :nod:

Dr. Nebz
09-07-2011, 10:53 AM

According to LDS.net, In the book of Jasher, It says that Cain was killed by his own grandson. He was out hunting and he saw Cain in the distance and thought he was a beast so he shot him with his bow and arrow; killing him.

So not sure if I am buying the Cain theory. I think since I like scientific research for documenting animal species, and the Bigfoot Phenomenon has been ruled out as mass hysteria because of all the other evidence supporting further research, that we are dealing with a very elusive, very intelligent primate species undocumented. We find about 15,000 new species every year on the planet. That means the probability with the evidence that has been collected that Sasquatch exists is really high. My conclusion is based on the numbers and probability, and my own personal experiences here in the Uintas and in the Mt Hood National Forest. I can reasonably say It will not be surprising if they are proven real.

I thought this transcript of Dr Jane Goodall, the worlds foremost expert on Chimpanzee's, the closest primate in DNA to a human being, to be interesting to say the least. Here is a transcript of her on NPR:

On Friday, September 27, 2002, during National Public Radio's (NPR) Talk of the Nation: Science Friday with Ira Flatow, Dr. Jane Goodall made a striking comment on her strong beliefs that large "undiscovered" primates, such as the Yeti or Sasquatch, do indeed exist.
The following is a transcript of the relevant portion of the program:
Dr. Goodall: As for the other, you're talking about a yeti or bigfoot or sasquatch.
Ira Flatow: Is that what he's talking about?
Dr. Goodall: Yes, it is and ...
Ira Flatow: Is that the message I'm missing here?
Dr. Goodall: I think that's the message you're missing and ...
Ira Flatow: (To the caller) Is that right?
Caller: Pretty much.
Ira Flatow: (Laughing) I'm out of the loop. Go ahead.
Dr. Goodall: Well now, you'll be amazed when I tell you that I'm sure that they exist.
Ira Flatow: You are?
Dr. Goodall: Yeah. I've talked to so many Native Americans who all describe the same sounds, two who have seen them. I've probably got about, oh, thirty books that have come from different parts of the world, from China from, from all over the place, and there was a little tiny snippet in the newspaper just last week which says that British scientists have found what they believed to be a yeti hair and that the scientists in the Natural History Museum in London couldn't identify it as any known animal.
Ira Flatow: Wow.
Dr. Goodall: That was just a wee bit in the newspaper and, obviously, we have to hear a little bit more about that.
Ira Flatow: Well, in this age of DNA, if you find a hair there might be some cells on it.
Dr. Goodall: Well, there will be and I'm sure that's what they've examined and they don't match up. That's what my little tiny snippet says. They don't match up with DNA cells from known animals, so -- apes.
Ira Flatow: Did you always have this belief that there., that they, that they existed?
Dr. Goodall: Well, I'm a romantic, so I always wanted them to exist. (Chuckles.)
Ira Flatow: (To the caller) Alright?
Caller: Thank you.

dmMatrix
09-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Nebz, this may be a different thing entirely but on the news the other night I saw a thing on the "skunk ape" that is in the mountains above Florida. Appalachins I think (My geography for that area isn't the best).

It has a striking resemblance to some "big foot" photos that I have seen before. Anyways, I also googled skunk ape after I saw the program and got some good stuff. I just wonder if this is related.... or even a legitimate thing ... etc.

Dr. Nebz
09-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Nebz, this may be a different thing entirely but on the news the other night I saw a thing on the "skunk ape" that is in the mountains above Florida. Appalachins I think (My geography for that area isn't the best).

It has a striking resemblance to some "big foot" photos that I have seen before. Anyways, I also googled skunk ape after I saw the program and got some good stuff. I just wonder if this is related.... or even a legitimate thing ... etc.

The Skunk Ape is the south east US version of Sasquatch. There is a ton of evidence for this as well. The movie "Legend Of Boggy Creek" was based on an encounter with a Skunk Ape in Arkansas. I think they are related and it is interesting the hear the history down in the swamps and mountains down there. I think it is as legitimate as any encounter in the Rockies or the PNW.

dmMatrix
09-09-2011, 01:29 PM
The Skunk Ape is the south east US version of Sasquatch. There is a ton of evidence for this as well. The movie "Legend Of Boggy Creek" was based on an encounter with a Skunk Ape in Arkansas. I think they are related and it is interesting the hear the history down in the swamps and mountains down there. I think it is as legitimate as any encounter in the Rockies or the PNW.

Oh cool, that makes sense. I need to look into this more. Pretty sweet topic.

Sombeech
09-09-2011, 01:51 PM

I love reading about Bigfoot related experiences. The Skunk Ape concept is interesting, and on wikipedia it mentions the Skunk Ape Letter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunk_ape

The contents of the letter are interesting:

http://www.lorencoleman.com/images/letter_low.jpg

And then I can't help but ask myself a few things. Why the hell would this elderly woman want the police to come take care of the animal, but expect them to know which anonymous house to show up to?

What was the rush in scanning the document? Why is it crooked like that? To build authenticity? Oh, and a couple of smudges on the paper help too.

It's like those toothpaste commercials where the dentist is at his desk, and the camera appears to be hidden as if it's a "top secret" interview and the dentist is divulging information he wouldn't have if he'd known the camera was there..... You see a paper weight in part of the frame or some bullshit. How stupid are we? :facepalm:

nelsonccc
09-09-2011, 05:36 PM
Every year when we would go elk hunting up in the uintas behind my grandfather's home in mountain home. We had a elk camp set up on the border of the indian reservation. There is a big rock outcropping that serves as a perfect spot to glass these small ponds and meadows with a creek below for elk. Our grandfather would never let us go up there. One year, being rebellious and young, I went up there, arriving well before sunrise a few days before the hunt opening. I got back to camp and when my grandpa found out where I'd been he went total batshit. He proceeded to tell us about how when he was a boy up there with his dad they had been there all morning when they smelled something awful upwind and behind them. they also could hear the horse snorting and getting scared and they were more than 100 yards away. They both turned around and could make out something large and dark just in the shadows of the trees 70 yards behind them. My grandpa says it was standing next to a distinctive tree with a big bend. They watched it for 20 minutes and then my great grandfather stood up and this thing took a big step back but stayed. He pointed the rifle at it with the intent of looking at it through the scope. My grandpa said he could 'feel' this thing and that he and his dad were all creeped out and scared. These are big bad cowboy types and I've never seen my grandpa admit to being scared of anything before. Anyways this thing slowly turned around and backed into the shadows even more and they couldn't see it anymore. After about another 30 minutes they both felt like the thing had left. Another 30 minutes and they dared move back uphill towards the trail and the horses. I guess my grandpa was pretty worried about the horses because they were tethered 100 yards or so to the left or north of where they had seen this thing. When my grandfather asked my great-grandfather what he had seen in the scope he told him "Somethings are not meant for this world and cannot be explained" and that he was better off not knowing. When they reached the bent tree the bend was more than 7' off the ground and grandpa says this thing was taller than the bend.

My grandfather swears up and down that it's true. I believe him. He's not the type to lie or exaggerate. Salt of the earth kind of cowboy type. My brother and I went back up there a few years ago and looked at the tree. I was super freaked out being there and couldn't stop thinking about the story. I've never been back and even though it's a great elk perch it's just not worth it.

mattandersao
09-09-2011, 07:14 PM
What about skin walkers any cool stories anyone?

Dr. Nebz
09-09-2011, 08:05 PM
What about skin walkers any cool stories anyone?

Ah, you are referring to shape shifters. I am not sure about that one. Not enough evidence on those to seek serious investigation like Bigfoot.

Dr. Nebz
09-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Every year when we would go elk hunting up in the uintas behind my grandfather's home in mountain home. We had a elk camp set up on the border of the indian reservation. There is a big rock outcropping that serves as a perfect spot to glass these small ponds and meadows with a creek below for elk. Our grandfather would never let us go up there. One year, being rebellious and young, I went up there, arriving well before sunrise a few days before the hunt opening. I got back to camp and when my grandpa found out where I'd been he went total batshit. He proceeded to tell us about how when he was a boy up there with his dad they had been there all morning when they smelled something awful upwind and behind them. they also could hear the horse snorting and getting scared and they were more than 100 yards away. They both turned around and could make out something large and dark just in the shadows of the trees 70 yards behind them. My grandpa says it was standing next to a distinctive tree with a big bend. They watched it for 20 minutes and then my great grandfather stood up and this thing took a big step back but stayed. He pointed the rifle at it with the intent of looking at it through the scope. My grandpa said he could 'feel' this thing and that he and his dad were all creeped out and scared. These are big bad cowboy types and I've never seen my grandpa admit to being scared of anything before. Anyways this thing slowly turned around and backed into the shadows even more and they couldn't see it anymore. After about another 30 minutes they both felt like the thing had left. Another 30 minutes and they dared move back uphill towards the trail and the horses. I guess my grandpa was pretty worried about the horses because they were tethered 100 yards or so to the left or north of where they had seen this thing. When my grandfather asked my great-grandfather what he had seen in the scope he told him "Somethings are not meant for this world and cannot be explained" and that he was better off not knowing. When they reached the bent tree the bend was more than 7' off the ground and grandpa says this thing was taller than the bend.

My grandfather swears up and down that it's true. I believe him. He's not the type to lie or exaggerate. Salt of the earth kind of cowboy type. My brother and I went back up there a few years ago and looked at the tree. I was super freaked out being there and couldn't stop thinking about the story. I've never been back and even though it's a great elk perch it's just not worth it.

Wow, crazy story, but I am not surprised. The Uintas hold a lot more sightings than the world is aware of. Because a lot of people do not report their encounters. I am surprised the Finding Bigfoot people have not done an expedition out there. I hear Cold Water Canyon has a vivid history with Bigfoot as well.