PDA

View Full Version : Canon & Nikon Cameras Square Off [INFOGRAPHIC]

accadacca
05-19-2011, 10:52 PM
Mashable.com - In an infographic that’s likely to ignite a powderkeg of controversy, Dutch website Beste Product compares Nikon and Canon cameras in a photographer’s equivalent of a Mac versus PC (or Coke versus Pepsi, cats versus dogs) cage match.

We present this infographic not because we agree with it, but because it contains a plethora of data about sales figures, preferences and aggregated opinions that we found interesting. However, a lot of us are Nikon aficionados, strongly disagreeing with this infographic’s conclusion. Why? Popularity does not necessarily dictate quality.

How about you, commenters? Canon or Nikon? Scroll down to comment.

http://www.besteproduct.nl/artikelen/canonvsnikon.jpg

Deadeye008
05-20-2011, 11:21 PM
I shoot Canon :mrgreen:

Dr. Nebz
05-20-2011, 11:58 PM
I think both companies make great cameras. I am partial to the Nikkor lens, and I love my D90. So Nikon for me.

Pelon1
05-21-2011, 02:28 AM
I really like our new D7000.

gnwatts
05-21-2011, 01:49 PM
I have an EOS 1DS MKll that is too heavy, too expensive and too old. But I love it. It does everything very well, except for the fact the Canon decided not to have an automatic sensor cleaning gizmo on it, a royal pain in the ass sometimes. I have 2 Canon lenses, a 17-40 L series that I take backpacking and a 17mm TS-E tilt/shift lens I use for architecture. I never have a dust or sand issue with the 17-40 zoom function. It really is well made.

jdgibney
05-21-2011, 02:32 PM
I've been Nikon for as long as I've been taking photos, since I bought my first high quality SLR, an F5, used in the late 90's. I was extremely close to switching to Canon in 2007, as I'd been frustrated with the quality of the sensors Nikon was rolling out. Canon was blowing them away until the D3 line came out, and I held on, and am glad I did. Greg, my biggest complaint with the D3 is that it also doesn't have a vibrating sensor dust remover thing, like all of the other cameras in that line (for some reason). It really sucks in dust, and I have to get it cleaned fairly often (or do a lot of post prod spot removing). Otherwise, I love the camera. I still have an old Nikon D2H which is a tank of a camera, and as long as there's plent of light (under 800ISO) I use it for a 2nd body outside for newspaper work, but the sensor is garbage compared to the newer cameras...

ibenick
05-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Yip. Most retarded argument ever. But with that said, Canon obviously kicks Nikon's ass.

gnwatts
05-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Greg, my biggest complaint with the D3 is that it also doesn't have a vibrating sensor dust remover thing, like all of the other cameras in that line (for some reason). It really sucks in dust, and I have to get it cleaned fairly often (or do a lot of post prod spot removing). .

Have you tried the Eclipse E2 cleaner and swab? I find it works pretty well, I have had to send the body in only twice for cleaning in the last 2 years, but i do regularly have to remove dust spots from the image. Not too many, but enough to kind of piss me off. There were plenty of cameras around at that time that had killer dust removal sensors. My Panasonic DMC-L1 has one. Only rarely do I have to clean dust spots with that camera. A really inexcusable omission on Canon's part. I wish I could afford the Mk lll, can't mortgage the house with property values down.

jbdavies
05-23-2011, 01:40 PM
I'm a Canon guy... and probably always will be. I don't care for the Nikon controls on the cameras.

I went to a Best Buy in 2008, looking at cameras for my Hawai'i trip. I really didn't know anything about either company. Played with both (even Sony), but found out that I just preferred Canon's controls and feel. So... I went with them. Both are great companies.

jdgibney
05-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Have you tried the Eclipse E2 cleaner and swab? I find it works pretty well, I have had to send the body in only twice for cleaning in the last 2 years, but i do regularly have to remove dust spots from the image. Not too many, but enough to kind of piss me off. There were plenty of cameras around at that time that had killer dust removal sensors. My Panasonic DMC-L1 has one. Only rarely do I have to clean dust spots with that camera. A really inexcusable omission on Canon's part. I wish I could afford the Mk lll, can't mortgage the house with property values down.
Yeah I have Eclipse handy, and have used it with decent success. We have a local shop that does a great job cleaning them for like $30 so I take it in once in a while (they'll do it for me within an hour usually). I don't understand why Nikon kept it out of the D3 while the D300 and 700 have it, and I think the D3s and x do as well...

AGGIE6680
05-30-2011, 09:39 AM
In an info graphic that’s likely to ignite a powder keg of controversy, Dutch website Beste Product compares Nikon and Canon cameras in a photographer’s equivalent of a Mac versus pc cage match.
We present this info graphic not because we agree with it, but because it contains a plethora of data about sales figures, preferences and aggregated opinions that we found interesting. However, a lot of us are Nikon aficionados, strongly disagreeing with this info graphic conclusion. Why? Popularity does not necessarily dictate quality.

Thanks,

AGGIE6680
05-30-2011, 09:39 AM
In an info graphic that