PDA

View Full Version : Flows needed for Dirty Devil and Delores?

Scott P
05-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Does anyone know what flows would be needed to float either the Dirty Devil or the Delores (Slickrock-Bedrock section) in a canoe?

restrac2000
05-20-2011, 08:42 AM
Iks float below 500
Rafts need about 1k

Not sure about a canoe on the Dolores? How much draft?
There are 1-2 class 3 rapids to keep an eye out for

saline
06-06-2011, 11:01 PM
You can float the Devil in IK's around 200 cfs but be prepared as the first 2 days have a bit of slogging. The channel narrows up and flows better near Larry Canyon as I recall and it was an easy float from there on. Very much worth the float!! We did it in 6 days and in reality it would have been nice to do it in 8-10 days to do some of the hikes up the canyons.

canyoncaver
06-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Anyone ever done a packraft down Larry Canyon and out to Hite? Any idea how long this would take? I've always wanted to see Lower Larry and this river has been enticing me lately. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

CarpeyBiggs
06-08-2011, 11:46 AM
on the alpacka forums somebody ran from poison springs to hite at flows of around 50 cfs. that run is about 20 something miles, not sure how much time it took in paddling hours. pretty sure you can run an alpacka from larry to hite at flows of 75 cfs, but you'll be in and out at times. also, remember that powell is on the rise, and will continue to back up farther and farther, however you can exit near the sheep ford crossing and hike to avoid the mud chutes or flatwater.

just ran the Dirty Devil from Poison Springs Wash to Hite. It was only running 45-55 cfs and that was a perfectly fine level for a packraft. I only had to get out a couple of times to get into a deeper channel. That run only took 2 days, quicker than I expected given the flow. Very lovely. Wished I had put in at Hanksville and done the whole thing. The Poison Springs road was quite hairy and I had to hike the last 10 miles in.