PDA

View Full Version : Pot Hole Escape Video

moab mark
05-19-2011, 03:00 PM
I thought you guys might like this. First potholes for most of the group. Shot with my buddies GOPRO this was also the first canyon he had ever done. He and the rest are hooked.

Mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKN4a_eVTpU

ilipichicuma
05-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Sweet! What canyon is this! Looks like a place my friends and I should hit!

moab mark
05-19-2011, 04:51 PM
Those that took me the first time have asked that I only show but don't tell. So I am respecting their request.

Udink
05-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Awesome vid. :2thumbs: Pothole escapes scare the crap outta me, but maybe it's just all the butt-grabbing. :lol8:

Canyonbug
05-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Awesome!! Looks like a great canyon to easily get someone hooked on Canyoneering.

moab mark
05-19-2011, 07:55 PM
I've got a question for those of you who have had a lot of experience with Tiblocs. When I was ascending out of several of these pot holes I was using one as a grab that I was sliding up the rope. I was having trouble when I would shove it up with it not grabbing but the biner was staying up in the wide area at the top and rotating the tibloc over backwards. It would actually put a 90 degree bend in the rope and come sliding back down. I have used them several times to ascend a rope with no problems but it seemed when I would try to slide it and have it grab fast it would not do it? I was basically hand climbing by sliding one tibloc ahead of me. Anyone else ever had this problem? We actually hauled one handled ascender and I started using it due to the headache I was having with the tiblocs.

trackrunner
05-19-2011, 08:24 PM
mark I recall a discussion on this forum a couple years ago about the german method. quick search brought up this thread. hope it helps.
http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?30069-Wild-Country-Ropeman

moab mark
05-19-2011, 08:38 PM
For what I was doing that would of probably helped a lot. Thanks, I even have post in there and do not remember that, well done. Now if someone could translate what they were discussing at the end I would appreciate it:lol8:

ilipichicuma
05-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Those that took me the first time have asked that I only show but don't tell. So I am respecting their request.

While I'm sad about that, I can understand it.

oldno7
05-20-2011, 05:41 AM
nice video and TR

oldno7
05-20-2011, 05:53 AM
I've got a question for those of you who have had a lot of experience with Tiblocs. When I was ascending out of several of these pot holes I was using one as a grab that I was sliding up the rope. I was having trouble when I would shove it up with it not grabbing but the biner was staying up in the wide area at the top and rotating the tibloc over backwards. It would actually put a 90 degree bend in the rope and come sliding back down. I have used them several times to ascend a rope with no problems but it seemed when I would try to slide it and have it grab fast it would not do it? I was basically hand climbing by sliding one tibloc ahead of me. Anyone else ever had this problem? We actually hauled one handled ascender and I started using it due to the headache I was having with the tiblocs.
Tiblocs require being "set" into the rope, if you miss this step, they will at least slide back down your rope, at worst, strip the sheath of your rope.
I use them all the time, have ascended 6-700' in a day, theres places they work better than a ropeman, such as when your only gaining a few inches at a time coming out of a narrow pothole. In this instance, I've found the ropeman gives back the precious inches, while a well set tibloc gets you up and out. I carry both all the time.(I only use the German method)

Deathcricket
05-20-2011, 08:44 AM
Awesome vid. :2thumbs: Pothole escapes scare the crap outta me, but maybe it's just all the butt-grabbing. :lol8:

This is exactly word for word what I was going to post, lol. :2thumbs:

Cool video man!

ratagonia
05-20-2011, 09:46 AM
For what I was doing that would of probably helped a lot. Thanks, I even have post in there and do not remember that, well done. Now if someone could translate what they were discussing at the end I would appreciate it:lol8:

Climbing out of potholes, I use the French method on my tiblocs because they are usually sliding up a surface and they work better when against a surface. They also might set easier.

Also, I usually just go to an ascending setup, rather than sliding a tibloc as a handhold. In this way, the rope is held taut below the lead tibloc, so it might also set better.

Tom :moses:

moab mark
05-21-2011, 05:44 AM
I think not having the rope weighted from below was a big part of the problem. We had to ascend about 20' to escape one of the other canyons and I used them in a normal ascending fashion and had no trouble. Since we are discussing different techniques for tiblocs are there any other suggestions from the group on more efficient ways to escape potholes?