PDA

View Full Version : How To Blue John Canyon

Kokopelli
05-19-2011, 02:22 PM
I'm headed down to do Blue John for the first time on Wednesday. I will only have one other guy with me, and we have some questions for those of you experienced with this area. We would like to do the whole route; down main fork all the way out to horseshoe. Is this even feasible with only one car and a couple of mountain bikes? I would say we are both mid level experience, I have more experience hiking, and he has more rock climbing. Anyway, looking at the map it looks like a long bike ride from the horseshoe trailhead to the start of the main fork of Blue John. Or, if this is not feasible, can someone suggest a better route? Also, is going down main fork and out horseshoe the "best" route? You know, the most exciting, scenic, ECT. Any advice that anyone can give would be great!

moab mark
05-19-2011, 03:22 PM
There have been several posts lately about Blue John. Here is one, if you go search for Blue John you can see them all.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?48353-Down-Blue-John-and-out-Horseshoe

wasatchghost
05-19-2011, 03:52 PM
It is feasible, but you're talking about almost 20 miles of bike riding and 16-ish miles of hiking/canyoneering. I have never been out horseshoe but my guess is it isn't worth it, unless you really want to see the panels. I would check out some other posts for more info

Kokopelli
05-23-2011, 02:16 PM
Well, we decided that wasn't the best choice. We are going to do Larry canyon instead. We are heading down tomorrow night (tuesday). Anybody else going to be in the area?

maxpower
05-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Yes but not until Friday or Saturday. The plan, though not yet set in stone, is to go down Bluejohn and out Horsehoe.

EvergreenDean
05-23-2011, 02:33 PM
In spite of what many say, I thought that the route down Little Blue John into main then out Horseshoe was a lot of fun, but I don't mind long hikes. Even better when there are fantastic pictographs involved. That was with a car shuttle though.

Have fun in Larry. Hopefully the first rap anchor is still extended to the edge as the rope grooves there are sad. We extended the anchor last week to help alleviate the situation. See if you can figure out where the bolts were on the last rap. We removed and patched the holes so I am curious how the patches held up.

wasatchghost
05-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Have fun in Larry. Hopefully the first rap anchor is still extended to the edge as the rope grooves there are sad..
Is the first rap into Larry's necessary? I have heard differing opinions. I will be down there in a few weeks

Iceaxe
05-23-2011, 04:56 PM
I guess it depends on what you consider the 1st rappal.... From the Larry Canyon Trailhead hike southwest down the wash. The first big drop (N38

wasatchghost
05-24-2011, 01:31 PM
Thanks, that is the one I was asking about