PDA

View Full Version : Conditions AF Canyon Trails?

accadacca
05-18-2011, 04:10 PM
Has anyone been up there? I hear the gate is closed to Silver Lake. I bet there is a bunch of snow up high on those trails? :ne_nau:

live2ride
05-19-2011, 10:28 AM
I would guess it is probably snowing up there right now, going to get a later start this year on the higher altitude trails, it's a real bummer

JONBOYLEMON
05-19-2011, 10:43 AM
Gate is closed, and yes its snowing right now......

I keep checking though as the snow is going away fast, but then it keep coming.

As a side note, I spend a week at Mutual Dell for Woodbadge next week and there is a good chance the snow will not be in camp. Hopefully...........

tallsteve
05-19-2011, 11:10 AM
You can check snow/water level conditions at the AF Canyon Summit here: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?sid=TIMU1&table=1&banner=off

It

tallsteve
05-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Gate is closed, and yes its snowing right now......

I keep checking though as the snow is going away fast, but then it keep coming.

As a side note, I spend a week at Mutual Dell for Woodbadge next week and there is a good chance the snow will not be in camp. Hopefully...........

There are still some patches of snow at Mutual Dell.:gloom:

JONBOYLEMON
05-19-2011, 11:25 AM
There are still some patches of snow at Mutual Dell.:gloom:

I was trying to be optimistic!!!!!!! It could melt over the weekend!!!!!:cold:

Mr. Steve, if you ever need someone to tag along on hikes in the area let me know.

tallsteve
05-19-2011, 11:30 AM
I was trying to be optimistic!!!!!!! It could melt over the weekend!!!!!:cold:

Mr. Steve, if you ever need someone to tag along on hikes in the area let me know.

Cool. I hike allot, but when I'm hiking I'm doing trailwork. Otherwise I'm on my bike. I'd love help with trailwork and there's going to be ton of stuff to do once the trails are accessible. I shudder to think of how much deadfall covering the trails there's going to be this year!

JONBOYLEMON
05-19-2011, 12:37 PM
I double as a Scoutmaster so if you have trailwork opportunities it would be great service hours on something really benificial. I'll keep in touch.

tallsteve
05-19-2011, 01:23 PM
I double as a Scoutmaster so if you have trailwork opportunities it would be great service hours on something really benificial. I'll keep in touch.

Been there, done that. I used to take my scouts up there all the time to do some minor trailwork. Scouts with saws, pruners and combi-tools scare me a bit though! Seriously, I am authorized by the USFS to lead trailwork groups in the canyon on our adopted sections of trails, so I am willing to plan something with your group. I have all the tools and safety gear.

live2ride
05-19-2011, 01:29 PM
mtn bikers have a bleak outlook for the upper elevations it seems...going to be some heavy traffic on the bench trails or else it is going to all of a sudden turn to 90 and melt that away like crazy!