PDA

View Full Version : Tech Tip

moab mark
05-18-2011, 03:04 PM
Here is something those of you who do a leg redirect may be interested in. I had a small modification made to my A Bod harness (it will work any harness) that is a vast improvement for me. I use a leg biner for a redirect all the time and I always hate how the biner slides around the leg loop to the front of my leg loop and makes the redirect harder to do. I took my harness over to my local shoe repair guy and had him sew a small piece of webbing on the inside side of the leg loop. This loop is about 3/4 of the way around toward the back of my hip. He left a gap in the webbing so I could clip a biner in it. This little loop keeps the biner from rotating around to the front when I am lifting up on the rope. IMO should comes as original equip on all harnesses.:lol8: Maybe I can patent it. I haven't received any royalties from the gold plated washer so maybe this one will make me rich.
Just a thought.

Mark

ratagonia
05-18-2011, 03:07 PM
Here is something those of you who do a leg redirect may be interested in. I had a small modification made to my A Bod harness (it will work any harness) that is a vast improvement for me. I use a leg biner for a redirect all the time and I always hate how the biner slides around the leg loop to the front of my leg loop and makes the redirect harder to do. I took my harness over to my local shoe repair guy and had him sew a small piece of webbing on the inside side of the leg loop. This loop is about 3/4 of the way around toward the back of my hip. He left a gap in the webbing so I could clip a biner in it. This little loop keeps the biner from rotating around to the front when I am lifting up on the rope. IMO should comes as original equip on all harnesses.:lol8: Maybe I can patent it. I haven't received any royalties from the gold plated washer so maybe this one will make me rich.
Just a thought.

Mark

Mark - do you put the biner on your rappel-side leg loop? I like to put it on the off-side leg loop, so the brake side of the rope crosses my lap. You get more control out of it (can rotate your hips to put more or less friction on it) and you don't have to pull UP on the rope to get more friction.

Tom

moab mark
05-18-2011, 03:17 PM
I put it on my rappel side, when putting it on your off side do you clip it in while on rappel or at the start? I tried it one time on the off side from the top and there was to much friction. It was difficult to start. I have started clipping the rope in the rappel side on any rappel of 60' or more and then going on one less hook on my pirana. This makes the start of the rappel much easier (low friction) and if I need to slow it down at the bottom I just lift up or even go to the hook on the pirana if necessary. I have really like using less hooks and a nice brake if necessary. I tried a different way on the last rappel on Daddy Warbucks, I redirected off of the rappel side and about half way down I redirected across the top of my hips and then down the left side. Where I was free hanging I was able to flip the rope easily around my feet to the left side. I actually did that rappel in canyon mode (no hooks) Nice at the top and the over the hip worked nice half way down.

ratagonia
05-18-2011, 05:51 PM
I put it on my rappel side, when putting it on your off side do you clip it in while on rappel or at the start? I tried it one time on the off side from the top and there was to much friction. It was difficult to start. I have started clipping the rope in the rappel side on any rappel of 60' or more and then going on one less hook on my pirana. This makes the start of the rappel much easier (low friction) and if I need to slow it down at the bottom I just lift up or even go to the hook on the pirana if necessary. I have really like using less hooks and a nice brake if necessary. I tried a different way on the last rappel on Daddy Warbucks, I redirected off of the rappel side and about half way down I redirected across the top of my hips and then down the left side. Where I was free hanging I was able to flip the rope easily around my feet to the left side. I actually did that rappel in canyon mode (no hooks) Nice at the top and the over the hip worked nice half way down.

I usually put the biner in place and go to it when I start to need it. You can clip it in by rolling your hips toward the rope until the biner reaches the rope, rather than trying to get the rope to the biner, which is difficult. A less-friction way is to put a second biner on the first biner.

The thing I like about it is you can adjust the friction just by rolling your hips, so you can have the perfect friction all the way down.

Tom :moses:

moab mark
05-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Ill have to try that, so your saying I better not make a down payment based on my new patent on that house on Maui I have been looking at?:angryfire:

ratagonia
05-18-2011, 06:39 PM
Ill have to try that, so your saying I better not make a down payment based on my new patent on that house on Maui I have been looking at?:angryfire:

You can come visit me, just down the coast...

T