PDA

View Full Version : Flashfloods! Any good pics out there?

slim
05-18-2011, 09:20 AM
I never know where to post something like this. But since this was on a San Juan river trip I'll put it here! :nod:

These pics were taken in July of 1992 on a rather wet but great San Juan river trip with a few friends. The river was 4 distinctly different colors through this trip.

We heard the roar from a ways up river and were cautiously approaching thinking it was maybe a new rapid or possibly jet airliners taking off from a new international airport that we hadn't heard about. :haha:

When we pulled ashore at the mouth of Johns Canyon, it looked like the first picture. The air was full of horizontally moving muddy mist.

We then hiked around almost behind the falls when, in the span of about 5 seconds, the volume of water (and noise) doubled or tripled (second and third pics).

We ran for our lives covered in muddy water. :lol8: What a cool experience. It was certainly worth a little sitting in the rain in the boats.

Anyone else have any cool flashflood pics?

Shan
05-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Nice! I've got some flash flood photos from when we did Labyrinth in 2009. It stormed on us big time, then came these waterfalls from all over the place for about 20 minutes. It was amazing!

Nice little montage my boyfriend put together:

http://www.youtube.com/user/syrstad#p/u/5/Xjs84FVdLok

slim
05-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Oh yeah! That's a great recap. I've seen a few of those high waterfalls before but nothing like that! Spectacular. I love the timeline... Sunny, Crash/Bang, Sunny, Beer-Thirty! :nod: