PDA

View Full Version : Bike Suggestions

Deadeye008
05-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Have been riding my bike more lately and so I want to get an upgrade. I'm looking for a full suspension bike in the $600-$700 range. I would not be opposed to buying a used bike. Thanks.

blueeyes
05-16-2011, 01:22 PM
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=231&cat=191&category=184

Keep your eye on KSL.

Sombeech
05-16-2011, 01:52 PM
You can get some very good used bikes for that price range. How tall are you? Look for your frame size on the bike, that's overlooked a lot.

Deadeye008
05-16-2011, 01:56 PM
You can get some very good used bikes for that price range. How tall are you? Look for your frame size on the bike, that's overlooked a lot.

I'm 5'11". I've been browsing the KSL classifieds that past little while.

Sombeech
05-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Try to get a Large frame then.

Deadeye008
05-16-2011, 04:49 PM
Try to get a Large frame then.

Will do.

Any particular components to look for? Or brands?

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk

guaps
05-17-2011, 11:40 AM
Any particular components to look for? Or brands?

Problem with looking for a specific brand is most brands make a high and low end. Specialized makes some great bikes, but also has some junkers out there. I love my Ellsworth, but I know you'll find 20 other people that will love 20 other brands.

Components are a bit easier to recommend. Check out this page (http://www.rscycle.com/MOUNTAIN-BIKE-BUYING-GUIDE). About half way down it gives the hierarchy for SRAM and Shimano components. I usually shoot for X.9 (SRAM) or XT (Shimano) when I'm shopping. That's the second tier stuff. The second tier is usually very good quality, but without the latest/greatest price tag.

Best advice - find a bike you like, then find a "friend" (someone who won't buy it before you do :lol8:), and ask them what they think. Seems like a lot of good people on here that could help.

Sombeech
05-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Yeah, SRAM or Shimano will treat you right. If it's a major named brand, they'll usually have half decent components on them. You can always upgrade too, so the major things are frame size, design, disc brakes, and suspension.

Deadeye008
05-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Problem with looking for a specific brand is most brands make a high and low end. Specialized makes some great bikes, but also has some junkers out there. I love my Ellsworth, but I know you'll find 20 other people that will love 20 other brands.

Components are a bit easier to recommend. Check out this page (http://www.rscycle.com/MOUNTAIN-BIKE-BUYING-GUIDE). About half way down it gives the hierarchy for SRAM and Shimano components. I usually shoot for X.9 (SRAM) or XT (Shimano) when I'm shopping. That's the second tier stuff. The second tier is usually very good quality, but without the latest/greatest price tag.

Best advice - find a bike you like, then find a "friend" (someone who won't buy it before you do :lol8:), and ask them what they think. Seems like a lot of good people on here that could help.

Thanks for the link and advice!

accadacca
05-17-2011, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the link and advice!

Post the bikes that you end up finding here and we'll give you some feedback. It has worked well for others that way. :2thumbs:

Deadeye008
05-17-2011, 07:09 PM
Post the bikes that you end up finding here and we'll give you some feedback. It has worked well for others that way. :2thumbs:

That's a good idea. I'll do that for sure. Thanks!