PDA

View Full Version : The Maze & Dark Canyon Suggestions

maxpower
05-13-2011, 10:25 PM
I am brand new to the forum as I just found this site today. What a wealth of info for trip planning.

I am planning a trip to the Maze and Dark Canyon starting the the end of this month and would appreciate a few suggestions to supplement what I already have planned.

Starting out by hiking Horseshoe Canyon (I have been here before but not my companions) then driving into the Maze for 8 days. I have found enough to keep me busy in the Standing Rock and Dollhouse areas where I am spending 4 nights to finish the Maze part of my trip. Before that however, I will be spending one night at each of the following: Golden Stairs and Teapot. I haven't seen much about these places and am in need of some suggestions for day hikes in these two areas.

I would also appreciate any gps coordinates to anything of interest (other than arches, have plenty) such as ruins, rock art (I know of the Harvest Scene only), water sources, etc.

After a stop in Hite its onto Dark Canyon. I am planning on hiking into Dark Canyon and exploring Lean-to and Youngs Canyon. I have 5 days so I am looking to extend this to last the whole time. Is Black Steer or Lost Canyons worth exploring or is there something better further down? I am primarily interested in rock art and ruins.

As with the Maze I would appreciate any gps coordinates to any ruins, rock art, water sources, etc.

Thank you very much

Scott P
05-15-2011, 05:14 PM
See this thread for Dark Canyon:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?53702-hi!-and-dark-canyon-help-if-you-got-it.-(youngs-lean-to-)

Black Steer isn't too interesting and Lost Canyon is just OK (it was dry when I have seen it; in wetter times it may be more interesting). Your time will be much better spent in Dark, Lean To and Youngs.

The only hike in the Maze I would marginally recommend that time of year is Water Canyon. Late May is usually not a good time to go to the Maze. Long term forecast are predicting temps around 100F then. If you are at Dark Canyon anyway, why not go to Fable Valley or Gypsum Canyon instead?