PDA

View Full Version : Help Labyrinth Canyon Question

keithd
05-10-2011, 07:27 PM
My wife and I have been planning to do Labyrinth Canyon this coming weekend. We only have three days, so based on everything I've read, I figured we should put in at Ruby Ranch to be able to make it to Mineral Bottom in three days.

However, my wife wants to put in at Green River since it would be somewhat logistically easier.

I'm worried that we wouldn't have enough time to paddle (one canoe) that far in three days, so I just wanted to get some opinions on that.

I've read lots of trip reports here, and most people seem to take at least 4 days to do that stretch, but they also seem to take at least one short day. We're more concerned with paddling than we are hiking, so it doesn't matter to us to spend 6 hours a day paddling...as long as it doesn't kill us! The river has really picked up in the past few days, and it's flowing over 18,000 cfs right now. So I'm also worried about finding campsites with the high water. But the BLM office assured us it wouldn't be that hard. Does that sound right, too?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Keith

Scott P
05-10-2011, 07:53 PM
It shouldn't be that hard to find campsites.

If you have three days, it's much better to put in at Ruby Ranch. It would leave time for at least a good hike or two. The section above Ruby isn't near as scenic anyway.

Alex
05-11-2011, 09:55 AM
What Scott said.

You also will see flows of 25k+ if not higher by this weekend. It's at 21,000 cfs right now and warm temps are a day away. For just two of you, you will not have problems finding camps. The predictions for Green to peak 45-61k this year, so you will have great fast flows. Figure you can cruise at about 10mph in a canoe maybe even higher, so you do the math.

keithd
05-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Shoot! We can do the whole run in a day with that flow rate!

I think I'll stick with the original plan to put in at Ruby Ranch. It only adds a couple of hours of shuttling to the day, while starting at Green River would add 6 hours of paddling to the day.

Thanks for the help!

Keith

Alex
05-12-2011, 10:09 AM
23,500 cfs and climbing, I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit 30k this weekend!

Shan
05-18-2011, 09:55 AM
I think I'll stick with the original plan to put in at Ruby Ranch. It only adds a couple of hours of shuttling to the day, while starting at Green River would add 6 hours of paddling to the day.We put in at Green River State Park (flew back from Mineral Bottoms in only 20 minutes!) and we were able to paddle half of the entire trip in the first day - like 30 miles to Three Canyons That was about 6 hours of padding to Three Canyons. I believe the flows then were 11,000 cfs.

So you could spend a few extra hours in a car shuttling, or a few extra hours paddling which includes an awesome 20 minute flight!

ibenick
05-18-2011, 10:03 AM
We put in at Green River State Park (flew back from Mineral Bottoms in only 20 minutes!) and we were able to paddle half of the entire trip in the first day - like 30 miles to Three Canyons That was about 6 hours of padding to Three Canyons. I believe the flows then were 11,000 cfs. So I guess would the few extra hours rather be spend shuttling (which could require another car) or paddling which includes an awesome 20 minute flight!

How did you arrange all of that? Like did they pick you up in a helicopter? What about your canoe(s)? How much did that cost? Sounds like the way to do it.

Shan
05-18-2011, 10:16 AM
How did you arrange all of that? Like did they pick you up in a helicopter? What about your canoe(s)? How much did that cost? Sounds like the way to do it. I am happy to share my logistics as this took some research! If you have one car I think this is the simplest way.

6:45 am - We left our fully rigged canoe at Green River State Park boat launch (you could camp at the park there, but we spent the night in the Suburu somewhere before Green River). Left the canoe there, said a little prayer, then drove to Mineral Bottoms.

7:00 am - En route to Mineral Bottoms which took about 1.5 hours? (we allowed ourselves 2 hours based on other shuttle services driving estimates). Left the Suby at the overnight parking lot. I had made arrangements with Red Tail Aviation a few days prior to pick us up on the dirt landing strip at 9am. $66 per person, and dogs are free! You can include 25 Pounds of gear per person, but we had all the gear waiting at the put in. We debated on saving money but someone staying at the park to watch the canoe, but the $66 flight was worth it. http://www.redtailaviation.com/river-shuttles.php

9:00 am - Red Tail picks us up. Kind of hard to see the dirt airstrip with all the tamarisk but we found each other. Two very nice easy going pilots who love their job. The flight was 20 minutes and we flew right over the Green.

9:30 am - Tumbleweed Tours (some lady with a car) came to pick us up at the airport to take us back to the State Park (only 5 miles, others have stashed a bike at the airport, but we had a dog). She charges $5. Canoe was safe and sound.

9:40 am - on the river!

ibenick
05-18-2011, 10:24 AM
That sounds AWESOME. That's it, I'm sold now. I'm buying a canoe this year.

Shan
05-18-2011, 10:32 AM
This way there is no shuttle company waiting for you (or vice versa), you don't have to time your trip. The car is already there, and you can add another night if you want.

keithd
05-18-2011, 04:19 PM
We did the flying with Red Tail on Friday, also. It was much cheaper, much faster, much more flexible, and much more entertaining than hiring one of the car shuttles.

I felt like a king being personally picked up at Mineral Bottom!