PDA

View Full Version : Raft Anchorage: Peaking High Water

restrac2000
05-10-2011, 04:43 PM
What do most folks do with their rafts during peak or flood stage for anchorage? Anything different?

Seems like we might be on at the peak or the lead up. Definitely planning on adding another line for tying up. Thinking this should obviously be to two different sources for redundancy. Assume we will just have to deal with debris as it arrives.

Also thinking we may throw in a come-along in our rescue kit. Hope to never us it but could be handy for flips and moving debris out of eddies (really not sure on that one).

Any unique precautions?

Phillip

Alex
05-11-2011, 09:10 AM
Never been in such high water or seen any huge debris. There is a huge tree at Yampa put in, which was blocking the whole dock. I moved the smaller tree out of the way using my throw line and leverage. There were two groups before me and my own group trying to move it with no luck. It took a Russian to figure out the physics to move the huge log by myself... oh ya :haha::rock:

Come-along might be a good idea. I usually bring my z-drag kit with me as well.

middlefork
05-11-2011, 03:33 PM
We ended up camping above the rapid at Big Joe and then Warmsprings and then Jones Hole. The current was headed away from the boats generally. The big debris seems to stay closer to the middle than the sides while floating along.

I was more worried about having to share the river with BIG Cottonwoods floating down. They were faster than the boats and you had to keep looking over your shoulder to make sure you did'nt get rammed.

I'm trying to find some film of that trip to scan, Not much luck yet. But yes it was Grand Canyon type waves.