PDA

View Full Version : Looking for camera mounting ideas for my mtn bike

guaps
05-09-2011, 04:48 PM
I've been trying to get some good video (GoPro camera) of a trail I ride by my house (Penasquitos Canyon in Southern CA). But the video I take always has problems. So i'm looking for tips on how to get better shots while mountain biking. My problems seem to always be either 1-too shaky, or 2-a lot of ground and not much trail ahead of me. I want a forward facing, mostly trail shot.

Here's what I've tried:
Vented Helmet Mount- Not very shaky, but the trail has a lot of trees with low branches, so every time I duck (a lot) the video is mostly of the ground and it looks terrible because I'm constantly ducking. Plus, it's only a matter of time before one of those branches rips the whole rig off my head. (hopefully not my head with it)
Handlbar Mount- very shaky, especially on the river rock sections. Is there a way to stabilize it?
Chesty Mount- On the downhill sections, these videos are about 90% pictures of my bike and the ground, almost nothing of the trail. Anyone ever modded this mount so it points forward/up more?

I saw the thread (http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?45318-A-creative-GoPro-mount&highlight=gopro+mount) MtnBkr posted a while back. Some good ideas for mounting on the down tube there and other cool angles.

Thanks!

Deathcricket
05-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Good idea for a thread! I would also like to know what setting you guys put your GoPro on. Mine is set to r5 the highest setting but this week I'm going to try r3 for max vert. My problem is the technicall stuff looks to flat. hehe.

CarpeyBiggs
05-09-2011, 05:59 PM
r4 is actually the setting for the most vertical real estate. r3 is 720p60, which is 1280x720 at 60fps. r4 is 1280x960 at 30fps. r5 is 1920x1080 at 30fps, but a much more narrow fov than 720 or 960.

i typically only use r3, since i prefer being able to do some slow motion stuff, and the super-wide view is preferable to me.

CarpeyBiggs
05-09-2011, 06:00 PM
i don't do much mtn biking, but i will say anytime you wear that thing on your head, you will have pretty crappy footage. but it is convenient. finding alternate ways to mount it is key, but also time consuming.

greyhair biker
05-09-2011, 08:34 PM
This video was taken with the mount on the side of the headtube. I just need to pull the cables back and high to get them out of the shot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4fVC-cPSYU

Sombeech
05-09-2011, 09:14 PM
The helmet mount is actually the least used mount I film from now. I assume you're getting too much bike from the Chesty mount because it's tilted up as far as it can go and it's still not high enough?

Try turning the clip upside down, and the camera will be able to swing up a lot higher, almost straight up in fact. Then just flip the upside down footage when you're editing.

The seat post mount is great, depending on what kind of shorts you're riding with (so they don't flap in front of the lens the whole time). Use it for rear facing footage and a little bit of forward too.

I think I may buy 3 more seat post mounts and have them constantly mounted in certain places:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014F5WIA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=bogloutdcomm-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399349&creativeASIN=B0014F5WIA

Then if you're riding with friends, just have it on your helmet and film with helmet in hand over obstacles and such.

Oh, and I used to film in r4 960 mode until I accidentally left it on r3 720 mode, and I never looked back. r3 is so crisp and it really does get all of the vertical that I need.

A few examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4nSXPqcmC4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUcLCTKdfEY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJyLIsXULsM

guaps
05-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Good idea for a thread! I would also like to know what setting you guys put your GoPro on. Mine is set to r5 the highest setting but this week I'm going to try r3 for max vert. My problem is the technicall stuff looks to flat. hehe.

I read (and have personal experience from skiing) that r3 is the best for "faster" sports. The extra frames per second (60 fps vs other modes with 30fps) gives you a smoother shot for things moving quickly. I tried both and I noticed a difference with some of my vids from skiing this year.

I don't know if it's as much of an advantage mtn biking, and the lower light of mtn biking may have an impact too (on a sunny day skiing, there is plenty of light). I'm assuming you need more light to process 60fps than 30fps. However, I haven't done any tests on my bike yet.

This video was taken with the mount on the side of the headtube. I just need to pull the cables back and high to get them out of the shot.

That's a great angle. It's not as shaky as the handlebar, and you don't get the jerky, side to side feeling because you don't get the constant, minor adjustments that people make to their steering. What mount did you use? My seatpost mount won't fit around my head tube. Custom mount or the roll bar mount or something else?

The helmet mount is actually the least used mount I film from now. I assume you're getting too much bike from the Chesty mount because it's tilted up as far as it can go and it's still not high enough?

Try turning the clip upside down, and the camera will be able to swing up a lot higher, almost straight up in fact. Then just flip the upside down footage when you're editing.

That's a great solution for the chest mount. I'm having exactly the problem you described.

The vid with your family has some great ideas too. It's like the pu pu platter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pu_pu_platter) of GoPro mounts and angles. :haha:

greyhair biker
05-10-2011, 11:33 AM
"That's a great angle. It's not as shaky as the handlebar, and you don't get the jerky, side to side feeling because you don't get the constant, minor adjustments that people make to their steering. What mount did you use? My seatpost mount won't fit around my head tube. Custom mount or the roll bar mount or something else?"

--I mounted a regular(curved) mount and put the 2pc hingy mounty thingy on the side(don't know the official name) - camera actually is setting on it's side. the 2pc thingy will pivot in two places and you can set the side to side as well as the up and down view. Nice!

MtnBkr
05-10-2011, 01:57 PM
There is a setting inside the GoPro to capture video upside down. Upd shows in the lcd if I remember right; I've been using that mode for the chesty. Not sure if there is an advantage to setting the GoPro vs turning the video over in editing, however.

Deathcricket
05-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Then just flip the upside down footage when you're editing.

I think also there is a setting on the camera that is "UPd" or something like that. So it lets the camera know it is mounted upside down and it flips it for you. Haven't messed with it yet though.

Sorry on my last post post. I meant to say most width not height. I had heard Justin say he used it and his videos always turn out so good. I've been using the helm mount exclusively and besides the depth of field problem, I'm pretty happy with the footage. Takes a bit to get the angle right. But as weird as it sounds, the tiny camera has been giving me a neck ache from keeping it on there so long. So I bought a chest mount for that reason alone. Hopefully now I can stop waking up with a sore neck the next day after a long ride.
:haha:

Edit: LOL MtnBkr beat me too it by an hour. I opened these threads in tabs and then got distracted by actual work and came back too late :P

guaps
05-10-2011, 03:58 PM
--I mounted a regular(curved) mount and put the 2pc hingy mounty thingy on the side(don't know the official name) - camera actually is setting on it's side. the 2pc thingy will pivot in two places and you can set the side to side as well as the up and down view. Nice!

Got it - one 2pc hingy mounty thingy and the curved mount. Seriously though, I know exactly what your talking about with the 2pc hingy thingy - perfect description. The mount though - are you talking about the curved sticky 3M mount? (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images150x150/742423.jpg)

greyhair biker
05-10-2011, 07:36 PM
yeop - curved 3M sticky mounty thingy:mrgreen:

Deathcricket
05-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Alright so here is my first attempt on R3 mode. I'm actually pretty happy with the depth of field though, compared to R4. Couple of interesting things, you can hear my heart beating since the camera is so close to my chest. especially on uphills sections, lol. I need to remember to crank my dial down so the camera doesn't shift as you can clearly see happens after the first jump. Pretty much the whole downhill section is unusable since all you can see is the handlebars... Oh and I almost popped my tire, that would have really sucked. So here is the fail vid if you want to watch it. It's a good lesson on what not to do. :haha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U2Vlaya9gw

And for comparison here is R4 (default) setting mounted on a helm. As you can see, depth of field is horrid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FpL1oixkYY

And just for fun here is me pedaling my fat ass up a hill with furious heart beat in background. It still doesn't look that steep on playback, at 2:10 you can actually see my bike sliding down the hill backwards due to steepness, but whatevs. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz2d-i9A4z4

Sombeech
05-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Alright so here is my first attempt on R3 mode.

What trail is that?

Deathcricket
05-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Sidewinder, its between Barrel Roll and Rim Rock :2thumbs:

guaps
05-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Couple of interesting things, you can hear my heart beating since the camera is so close to my chest. especially on uphills sections, lol.

I noticed the same thing on some ski vids i took this winter. When I got to the bottom of the run, my heart was very clearly audible - especially when I played the video on my home theater system with the nice sub. My wife laughed at how out of shape it made me sound. I blamed it on living at 600ft then going to 6,000ft to ski.

Nice comparison. It's nice to see the two settings side by side like that.

CarpeyBiggs
05-11-2011, 02:06 PM
I'm actually pretty happy with the depth of field though, compared to R5.

very cool stuff. thanks for posting the different views. i think you mean "field of view" though, not depth of field. i'm working on a zipline setup right now, i'll post when/if it works well.

Deathcricket
05-11-2011, 02:34 PM
OMG CarpeyBiggs "the master" is looking at my amateur crap, I'm soooo embarrassed. It was hard enough knowing beech was looking at my stuff. :oops:

Probably not the right technical term yeah. What I mean is the fisheye type lens seems to distort how steep the hill or rock actually is, so everything seems to flatten out quite a bit and it doesn't look that impressive to me. So the main things I am going to try on thurs is one, Be sure the clamp is on damn tight this time. And two, adjust the chest harness so it's higher on my body. It was mounted around my solar plexis area and I'll try for upper chest. Then hopefully my arms won't looks so freakishly long.

It does seem like it's still a little to shaky though, but I'll work on that after I've fixed the other problems I guess. That and me yelling Wooo!! every time both my tires leave the ground. Playback it gets annoying. :lol8:

CarpeyBiggs
05-11-2011, 02:36 PM
after checking 'em out again, i'm pretty sure that is r4 in the second video, not r5. r4 is a 4:3 aspect ratio (almost square). r3 and r5 are 16x9 ratios. unless you changed the aspect in editing... or i misread the post.

CarpeyBiggs
05-11-2011, 02:38 PM
hahaha. i love checking out that gopro footage and seeing what mounts and stuff people are using. the options are limited, so while i don't ride a bike very often, it's cool to see what people are coming up with... i wonder if i could rig something up off my chest that would look good for being on rappel, at least seeing the device and ropes and what not. might be a nice quick cutaway.

Deathcricket
05-11-2011, 03:19 PM
hahaha. i love checking out that gopro footage and seeing what mounts and stuff people are using. the options are limited, so while i don't ride a bike very often, it's cool to see what people are coming up with... i wonder if i could rig something up off my chest that would look good for being on rappel, at least seeing the device and ropes and what not. might be a nice quick cutaway.

Once again, you prove you are a pro. Yeah it's a 4.3 aspect ratio, the software I'm using doesn't say the actual size but it is almost square so I'm sure you're right. I'll go back and edit my post so as not to confuse others. It's the default setting that it comes with. And I just recently changed it to R3 after hearing from beech it was better. R4!!!!

I've also been wondering about rappell and what angles are best, anxious to see what you come up with. I was thinking that your overhead 3rd person setup you used at freezefest but pointing downward would also be awesome.

Sombeech
05-12-2011, 01:43 PM
OK I just saw this product for the first time; for the times you wish the seat post mount would fit over the frame of your bike, there's the roll bar mount. I just ordered it today. I assume it will fit around the frame nicely, maybe even the front fork for some front wheel footage.

Obviously for the motorsports crowd, but it should work great:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MS6OM2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=bogloutdcomm-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399349&creativeASIN=B001MS6OM2

guaps
05-12-2011, 03:13 PM
This one (http://www.eyeofmine.com/gopro/order-gopro-hero.html#eyeofmineproducts) is similar to the GoPro rollbar mount, but has some cool inserts to make the mount very flexible in terms of bar size. Scroll down a bit to the Eye of Mine Exclusive Rollbar Mount. There's a video on there that shows it off. It has adapters for different sizes so you can go from 2" diameter all the way down to 1" bars (or smaller if you used a piece of rubber from an old tube as a shim). I don't have one, but I might try it out soon.

CarpeyBiggs
05-12-2011, 09:01 PM
check this out - http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=7245615&postcount=26

i just got the ram mount, and it is sweet. definitely an upgrade from the gopro mounts, and there are more options. they are heavier though. probably work well for mountain biking stuff, as evidenced by that guys stuff.

http://vimeo.com/16879009

Deathcricket
05-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Ok, as promised here is thurs footage. I'm happy with the angle but damn it's way too shakey shakey! I think the 2 inches higher makes a big difference but now its on the round part of my chest. So now I gotta figure out how to make it stay close to my body hehe.

This is me and Dave (theking648) on Anastazi trail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMH-eZuwxR8

guaps
05-13-2011, 01:53 PM
Ok, as promised here is thurs footage. I'm happy with the angle but damn it's way too shakey shakey! I think the 2 inches higher makes a big difference but now its on the round part of my chest. So now I gotta figure out how to make it stay close to my body hehe.

You've got the up/down angle down perfect - nice. I'm still struggling with that. I took some video this morning, and I thought I had it facing up enough, but as you can see below, it's all bike again and ground (again). I'll figure it out. As for the shake - I had my chest harness pulled tight right under my moobs (man boobs). I'd call them pectorals, but that's probably not a totally accurate description. Anyways, a little lower like that, and the pecs seems to stabilize a bit of the up/down shake.

I took some vid with the handlebar mount and chest mount so I could compare, but I forgot to change the setting to right side up when I moved it to the handlebar, and all the video is upside down. I just have a cheap video editor, so I can't flip it back. So my comparison video idea didn't work out.

Here's a chest mount vid from this morning. It's pretty stable, but too low.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duCI5mZqmv0&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Sombeech
05-13-2011, 02:08 PM
You've got the up/down angle down perfect - nice. I'm still struggling with that. I took some video this morning, and I thought I had it facing up enough, but as you can see below, it's all bike again and ground (again). .

Yeah, just a touch higher. Some of mine comes back like that too, I just don't use it in the production.

What also helps a great deal is if there's another rider in the frame ahead of you. This will take attention off of the bike.

So was it upside down this time?

guaps
05-13-2011, 02:16 PM
So was it upside down this time?

Yes, and it's a lot better than what it used to be. Great idea. I actually thought I had the angle too high, especially when I sat down. Turns out it was perfect when I sat and too low when I stood.

Sombeech
05-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Yes, and it's a lot better than what it used to be. Great idea. I actually thought I had the angle too high, especially when I sat down. Turns out it was perfect when I sat and too low when I stood.

Yeah, definitely different angle between the 2. I don't even bother adjusting the angle until I'm standing on the pedals.

Deathcricket
05-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Nice jumps! Yours doesn't seem nearly as shaky as mine. I would be totally happy with the level you got. It could be your trail is smoother or you have it more snug than me, but a noticeable improvement over mine. But I think that is an excellent vid man. It's too bad the bracket doesn't have some sort of angle measure on it. So you know you set it at exactly 35 degrees and it's perfect, lol. I'm going to try putting some foam behind mine and see if that helps. Maybe like some weatherstripping or whatever I can find at the hardware store.

So cool, looks like we are both on our way to shooting some good stuff this summer! Maybe even as epic as Beech's. :2thumbs:

I'll have another update hopefully on Tues, going canyoneering this weekend so prob won't ride again till then. Looking forward to seeing your next stuff.

guaps
05-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Nice jumps! Yours doesn't seem nearly as shaky as mine. I would be totally happy with the level you got. It could be your trail is smoother or you have it more snug than me, but a noticeable improvement over mine.

Probably a little of both, but it might be the trail. This other vid from this morning is noticeably shakier on the top section. But I'm riding over large, loose river rock. My eyeballs rattle on that stuff, so I wouldn't expect the camera to handle it too well either.

This video is nearly unwatchable the camera angle is so low. I put it here so you could see the shake on really rough terrain. I find myself tilting my head back as I watch the video, willing the video to pan up. :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rspbX-xbs6U&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Sombeech
05-13-2011, 06:35 PM
I think you should seriously get the front mount for the gopro. It eliminates the helmet visor in the frame and you can pivot it straight down for some decent "all bike" shots for transitions in your video. It will basically be about a foot and a half higher vantage point than your chest mount.

REDFOX
05-13-2011, 08:13 PM
Probably a little of both, but it might be the trail. This other vid from this morning is noticeably shakier on the top section. But I'm riding over large, loose river rock. My eyeballs rattle on that stuff, so I wouldn't expect the camera to handle it too well either.

This video is nearly unwatchable the camera angle is so low. I put it here so you could see the shake on really rough terrain. I find myself tilting my head back as I watch the video, willing the video to pan up. :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rspbX-xbs6U&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

What brand are your handle bars ?

guaps
05-14-2011, 11:22 AM
I think you should seriously get the front mount for the gopro. It eliminates the helmet visor in the frame and you can pivot it straight down for some decent "all bike" shots for transitions in your video. It will basically be about a foot and a half higher vantage point than your chest mount.

Front mount? You mean a sticky mount on the head tube?

What brand are your handle bars ?
Loaded (http://www.loadedusa.com/) - I've had their wheels and handlebar on my bike for about 5 months now. I like them - no complaints.

Sombeech
05-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Front mount? You mean a sticky mount on the head tube?

No, this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004536LUG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=bogloutdcomm-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399349&creativeASIN=B004536LUG

greyhair biker
05-14-2011, 07:31 PM
I can't figure out how come that is so shaky, 'course, I don't mount mine to a chest mount. Maybe a fork mount would be less since the front shock should take out lots of movement(theory). My GoPro is a couple years old but all the mounts are identical and I abuse the hell out of them.
.....the other mount I've done is on the stem plate - right out front. Stable as hell. Here's a video to show it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4DMCQ5FWBk

guaps
05-16-2011, 10:13 AM
.....the other mount I've done is on the stem plate - right out front. Stable as hell. ]
Is that another 3M sticky mounty hingy thingy stuck to your stem plate?

Sombeech
05-18-2011, 12:02 AM
Here are a few angles for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIFCotD4OVk

guaps
05-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Some great ideas there. I really like the rear facing shot; that would be awesome for filming while someone was following you - a lot better than following someone else and filming their backside the whole time.

Do you use that new LCD to set up your shots? Seems like I'm always a little off (angle is too high/too low). What's the trick?

So can you get a clip in version of that fancy boot of yours? You are a dedicated man riding with a jacked up ankle/foot/etc. :hail2thechief:

Sombeech
05-18-2011, 11:54 AM
Do you use that new LCD to set up your shots? Seems like I'm always a little off (angle is too high/too low). What's the trick?
Nah, I've never owned or used the LCD BacPac.

I just point it in the general direction and it usually is spot on with the wide angle lens. The thing is, I'm filming an hour or two each ride but am only producing @3 minutes of it. So there are angles that sometimes don't work or the footage just sucks. Those parts don't make the cut.

greyhair biker
05-19-2011, 07:41 AM
:nod:just stuck right to the stem plate. The one is use the most is stuck right to the side of the headtube with the double pivoty thingy. I don't use anything fancy 'cause I'm cheap:lol8: