PDA

View Full Version : zion slot with no runoff?

AggieBri
05-09-2011, 11:06 AM
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Hey guys, can you all fill me in on some relatively

Iceaxe
05-09-2011, 11:14 AM
NORMALLY the Subway runoff is relatively short... There is a good chance things will be normal by June 3rd.

Kanarra Creek has about the same run off issues as Subway, maybe a little more.

Is it a technical slot or hiking slot you are looking for? Red Cave (http://climb-utah.com/Zion/redcave.htm) might be the slot for you. If its non-tech you want close to Zion.

ratagonia
05-09-2011, 11:44 AM
Hey guys, can you all fill me in on some relatively “dry” slots in the Zion area? We have permit for June 3rd for the Subway but doesn’t look like something we want to tackle with all the runoff. Certainly don’t want to end up being one of the people needing rescuing like in the epic “escaping the subway” vid. What about Kanarra’s Creek elevation? Does it feed from the mountains as much as the narrows/subway? How about spooky gulch? I know it’s a bit more a drive from Zion but with plane tickets already purchased would really like to get into some slots without all this runoff. Any advice guys?

I agree with that Iceaxe guy (but only on these specific issues... :lol8:).

Subway should be free of flow any day now. I don't know if the Park will open it ever again, though, because it has to be "safe for the average Zion Visitor", which it never will be and never was.

Behunin, Spry, Lower Frigerator, Keyhole, Pine Creek, Right Fork, Das Boot, Russell Gulch, Fat Man's Misery, Birch Hollow, Lodge Canyon, Grotto Canyon, Hidden Canyon from the Top, Spearhead, Heaps.

All these are or will be without flow, maybe in normal conditions, maybe not.

A reasonable substitute for the Subway perhaps try Fat Man's Misery. The hike out is often very hot in summer. No permit required. Some wet pools likely (I'd bring a wetsuit, just like for the subway). Requires backcountry skills including navigation.

Tom :moses: