PDA

View Full Version : Water Temps in Parunuweap/Narrows mid-late June?

natureisgrand
05-07-2011, 01:07 PM
I'm planning a trip to do the Narrows, the Barracks, and the West Rim trail in mid-late June. I've done the Narrows several times before, but always in July/August. What are the water temperatures likely to be that time of year?

Also, I have heard the snowpack is really high this year. I'm guessing it is too far away to say, but are there any guesses as to whether the Narrows and the Barracks will be navigable by June 20th or so?

Thanks,

Nathan

trackrunner
05-08-2011, 03:04 PM
the barracks drainage is smaller and lower in elevation than the narrows, and is navigable to hiking sooner.

2011 snow pack has more snow and water than 2010 snow pack but less than 2005. In 2010 the narrows opened to hiking around June 17th. In 2005 the narrows opened to hiking around July 7.

ratagonia
05-09-2011, 11:48 AM
I'm planning a trip to do the Narrows, the Barracks, and the West Rim trail in mid-late June. I've done the Narrows several times before, but always in July/August. What are the water temperatures likely to be that time of year?

Also, I have heard the snowpack is really high this year. I'm guessing it is too far away to say, but are there any guesses as to whether the Narrows and the Barracks will be navigable by June 20th or so?

Thanks,

Nathan

The water temp is likely to be "cold".

The Barracks should be not too cold, meaning, probably doable with shorts, tee shirt, neoprene socks and a fleece sweater and hat.

The West Rim Trail should have stopped flowing by then :haha:

The Narrows if open will still be quite high and cold. Dry pants might work for you, or dry suits (both available for rental in Springdale). Wetsuit might too. I'd probably go with a wetsuit with the top pulled down, maybe, but really I would go do something else. Unlikely to be open.

Tom