PDA

View Full Version : Conditions Black Hole Logs

qedcook
05-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Last I heard back in September, the logs were back in the black hole. I also heard that although there was log swimming, there were no log jams that required climbing over. Anyone been down there recently and know of current conditions?

Canyonbug
05-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Last I heard back in September, the logs were back in the black hole. I also heard that although there was log swimming, there were no log jams that required climbing over. Anyone been down there recently and know of current conditions?

Don't know of conditions per say in the Black Hole Proper, I can say that I did Fry Canyon on 4/12 and White Canyon was dry then on the exit, nothing flowing, also on the way to and back from the North Wash Rendezvous there was still no water running in White Canyon. I did see some standing pools, probably from the rain first of last week, but nothing flowing.

CarpeyBiggs
05-04-2011, 11:30 AM
logs were gone at freezefest. there is one small section to climb over, and swim under another section by 15 feet. haven't heard recently.

http://vimeo.com/18415948

ratagonia
05-04-2011, 11:32 AM

I am perplexed by this fascination with "conditions reports". Yes, it is good to know what is in prime shape and would be really fun. But, a conditions report does not tell you what the canyon is like NOW, so... You still need to be prepared for whatever conditions the canyon can throw at you, which, in the black hole, includes extended log soup, possible required rappels and other possible obstacles.

That said, Cheesebox (nearby) was fairly dry (for it) three weeks ago.

Tom

oldno7
05-04-2011, 11:38 AM
That said, Cheesebox (nearby) was fairly dry (for it) three weeks ago.

Tom

And a better canyon in every aspect, IMO

Iceaxe
05-04-2011, 12:27 PM

I don't know about that.... Black Hole is in my all time Top 5.... for numerous/various reasons.... YMMV

ratagonia
05-04-2011, 12:36 PM

hard to access in winter, with snow on the mesas. Hard to access without high clearance 4WD. Hot in high summer, especially it if is dry.

They are different. They are both real good.

Tom :moses: