PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have experience with BW canyon DS and ICG Canyonero?

shane301
05-01-2011, 07:49 AM
I am considering 1 of these 2 ropes. I understand they are 2 different ropes and the canyonero should be compared to the BW 9.2 canyon. I would be using it mostly in Zion UT, sand stone. Is the DS worth the extra money or will I be happy with the Canyonero. Let my hear your experiences.

Thanks

CarpeyBiggs
05-01-2011, 08:41 AM
ds stands for dual sheath. it has technora in the sheath. it's more durable, lighter, and much more expensive. the canyonero is the thicker version of the canyon fire, which i've used for the last two years. if you are looking for bang for the buck, and weight isn't a significant issue, the canyoneero is the obvious choice. only situation i'd consider the ds is when weight is at a premium.

ratagonia
05-01-2011, 09:00 AM
ds stands for dual sheath. it has technora in the sheath. it's more durable, lighter, and much more expensive. the canyonero is the thicker version of the canyon fire, which i've used for the last two years. if you are looking for bang for the buck, and weight isn't a significant issue, the canyoneero is the obvious choice. only situation i'd consider the ds is when weight is at a premium.

You're thinking in the 8mm range, Carpey. Technora is a heavy fiber, thus the Dual Sheath ropes weigh more than their all-polyester cousins.

The BW 9.2 Dual Sheath is 60 grams per meter and the Canyonero is 63.5 grams per meter, so not much of a difference there.

More Info: http://imlaycanyongear.com/ropes2.php

http://www.bluewaterropes.com/home/productsinfo.asp?Channel=Recreation&Group=&GroupKey=&Category=Ropes,%20Canyoneering&CategoryKey=&ProdKey=39

The Canyonero is new this spring, so there is not much of an experience base out there on it. So far, seems good.

Tom

ratagonia
05-01-2011, 09:06 AM
You're thinking in the 8mm range, Carpey. Technora is a heavy fiber, thus the Dual Sheath ropes weigh more than their all-polyester cousins.

The BW 9.2 Dual Sheath is 60 grams per meter and the Canyonero is 63.5 grams per meter, so not much of a difference there.

More Info: http://imlaycanyongear.com/ropes2.php

http://www.bluewaterropes.com/home/productsinfo.asp?Channel=Recreation&Group=&GroupKey=&Category=Ropes,%20Canyoneering&CategoryKey=&ProdKey=39

The Canyonero is new this spring, so there is not much of an experience base out there on it. So far, seems good.

Tom

Of course, I could read it more carefully... SOUNDS LIKE you are asking about the Canyon PRO 8mm DS vs. the Canyonero - which is an odd comparison. The BW Canyon Pro ropes are very nice ropes, but also quite small. If I was offering up a rope to battle head to head with the Canyon Pro DS (and I am), it would be the Canyon Fire. Lots of experience out there on the Canyon Fire, and most of it good. Seems to hold up well, handles nicely. But, 57.3 grams per meter is quite a bit heavier than the C Pro DS at 41 grams per meter.

But, $ 341.90 per 200 feet for the BW Pro DS; vs. $ 160.00 for the Canyon Fire.

Tom

CarpeyBiggs
05-01-2011, 09:11 AM
oops. yeah, maybe my comparison isn't what he's really asking? i was comparing the ultra-expensive 8mm bw canyon pro ds to the 8.3 canyon fire or 9.2 canyonero (even though i haven't used the canyonero yet... maybe i should try one out soon)

shane301
05-01-2011, 09:22 AM
To clearify I am looking at the 9.2mm...probably should be asking about the Canyonero 9.2 and BW canyon rope 9.2mm...wondered if the ds was worth almost double the price. Is there another rope I should be considering? I am a newbie that has just been going with friends who are using BW canyon rope 9.2mm

moab mark
05-01-2011, 11:23 AM
There are alot of people on this site with more experience with rope then myself but here is my 2 cents. I had the opportunity recently to use the Canyon Pro 8 mm. It is a really nice rope but skinny, handles nicely. As far as the regular BW Canyon rope, I have about a 1000' of it in my garage that has core shots all over in it. I started out using the cheaper canyon rope and it did not hold up very well. I use Imlay ropes now and in my opinion they are not the softest handling ropes but they hold up like cable. I used the regular 9 forever and have now moved over to the 8.3 IMO the best way to go is buy one of Imlay spools and get a solder gun with the rope cutting attachment. Then cut it up in the lengths you want. It cost more up front but in the long run you are set. You will start with a 200 and then you will realize that you would like several different lengths. 2 120's are very popular in most areas. The only time I haul a 200 is if one of the rappels requires it otherwise haul shorter ones and tie them together for the pull side. Divides up the weight on the mules.
On a side note I was reorganizing my gear yesterday and found out you can stuff 200' of Imlay 8.3 in a small Bagarino. It is tight and a little tough to stuff but sure is a nice small bag to stick in the pack.

YMMV

Mark