PDA

View Full Version : American Teachers Do More Work for Less Pay Than Their International Peers

accadacca
04-27-2011, 12:13 PM

Source: http://scholasticadministrator.typepad.com/thisweekineducation/2011/04/futurejournalismproject-who-pays-teachers-best-for-their-time-hours-primary-school-teachers-spend-working-on-the-left.html

mattandersao
04-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Great, Pandora's Box has just been reopened! This time I refuse to take the bait. I will just watch :popcorn:

accadacca
04-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Great, Pandora's Box has just been reopened! This time I refuse to take the bait. I will just watch :popcorn:
:lol8:

Hey man, we had some good conversation last time. :popcorn:

oldno7
04-27-2011, 05:49 PM
:amazon::amazon:
:lol8:

Hey man, we had some good conversation last time. :popcorn:

:amazon::bert::duel::facepalm::rifle::strawman::so apbox:

mattandersao
04-27-2011, 05:52 PM
The sheep drinking the koolaid is AWESOME!!! Im still laughing:roflmao1:

accadacca
04-27-2011, 06:31 PM
:banana: :blbl:

Deathcricket
04-28-2011, 10:03 AM
Ok I'm going to plead my ignorance here... The graph doesn't make sense to me and I need help understanding it. :crazy:

So I went here

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=wb-wdi&met=ny_gdp_pcap_cd&idim=country:KOR&dl=en&hl=en&q=korea+gdp+per+capita#ctype=l&strail=false&nselm=h&met_y=ny_gdp_pcap_cd&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&rdim=country&idim=country:KOR&hl=en&dl=en

And it says the the GDP per capita of Korea is $17k and U.S. is $46k. So what I don't understand is how a teacher making $18k in Korea is a pimp and a teacher making $45k in the U.S. is an abused citizen. If that same teacher went from the US to Korea and went from making $45k to $18k but with a different standard of living, would it really be an upgrade? Maybe I just don't understand the per capita concept well enough. Anyone care to elaborate for me? It seems the simple percentages skew the results entirely. For example a person making a $45k salary getting a $1k raise isn't a big deal, but a person making a $17k salary getting a $1k raise is a huge percentage.

Doesn't the fact that the teacher in the US makes almost 3x more than a person in a "poorer" country (perhaps the wrong terminology) make all this data completely meaningless?

ststephen
04-28-2011, 10:34 AM
I think the chart does divide by per-capita GDP, hence it is a percentage. At least the column is labeled that way.