PDA

View Full Version : Bearable Utah Desert Camping in July or an Alternative?

boulderrr
04-27-2011, 11:10 AM
Hello all! Just got back from a sweet trip to the San Rafael Swell / Robbers' Roost area over Easter Weekend. We had an awesome time and thanks to everyone who helped with advice! I'm currently planning a big trip around the 4th of July with my brother and two friends who all live on the East Coast. I live in Colorado so there is plenty of camping and backpacking to do around here, but they were really interested in seeing the desert and I'd love to show them around some of my favorite places in Utah.

Initially, we were thinking of planning a backpacking trip through Zion. This is still a possibility, but I was concerned with the temperatures that time of year with the average high around 100. I figured this may be too much for them, especially since they aren't too experienced with the area.

From this thought, I figured perhaps vehicle camping would be more comfortable for them, even though it would still be ungodly hot. At least we'd have lots of crap with us and would hopefully be able to find some shade to camp under. We'd be able to do activities during the day without needing to carry heavy packs and could return to camp in the evening. My initial thoughts would be to spend some time camping off the road to Horseshoe Canyon for a couple days around the holiday to avoid crowds, perhaps move toward the Swell for a night or two mid-week, and maybe get down toward Escalante or Zion for the end of the week. I want to show them a couple slot canyons, perhaps Goblin Valley, etc.

I guess my main question for this are:

Is this a horrible idea and are we just going to be miserably hot the entire time (even with car camping)?

Does the Zion backpacking trip sound bearable? I know that there are some good treks there with water so that could be helpful. The cut-off date for reservations is coming up so I'm trying to get this figured out.

Would it be a better idea to find somewhere to camp at higher elevation (such as in the La Sals or Dixie Nat. Forest near Escalante) so that it is a bit cooler, then head into the desert during the day to do what we want to do?

I'm definitely not a beginner camper/backpacker and neither are they, and am not afraid of a little heat, but just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were regarding this trip. It is still in the relatively early stages of planning and I'd love to show them the desert, but realize that perhaps it should wait for a different season and we should spend our time up higher (perhaps in CO or WY up near the Tetons).

Thanks for your help!

andykrow
04-27-2011, 03:17 PM
I've done the late june backpacking thing down there and it certainly is an experience. plan on sweating a lot and having a nice siesta everyday around 1-3 pm or so. In fact, afternoons might just be too hot to hike at all, so don't plan a ton of mileage. i wouldn't say you're crazy for doing it but make sure your route has plenty of large, known water sources on it. can't recommend coyote gulch enough for this sort of thing...there's a stream year round in it and plenty of shade. the hike in and out will be hot but do that early in the day and you'll be fine. this is pretty much a mind-blowing intro to desert packing. The escalante itself is always running too and there's plenty to explore down there.

That said I like to save the desert for october-april and hit the high country during the summer. can't go wrong with the wind rivers. hmm just saw you're doing this July 4, could be snowy way up high still.

mattandersao
04-27-2011, 05:54 PM
The rim trails in Zion are bearable in the summer as they are considerably higher elevation!

gnwatts
04-27-2011, 06:58 PM
I have had some of my best trips in the middle of the summer. The heat is intoxicating I thnk. Like andykrow said, find some shade near a big pool and relax. Venture out to find some really warm shallow pools, wait until later in the day (or early) to explore, you have until at least 8pm.
Upper Mule creek is fantastic in mid summer. Coyote Gulch, San Rafael Swell, Cedar Mesa, all these places are great if you have shade and water. IMHO.

nelsonccc
05-05-2011, 02:06 PM
I've hiked the Zion rim trails numerous times all through the summer. It's not that bad, but I'm from Vegas! You'll sweat and like someone else said just plan on relaxing for a few hours in the late afternoon. There is a surprising amount of shade to be had along both rim routes.

shaggy125
05-09-2011, 12:13 PM
Backpacking the Narrows is perfect in the summer as long as it doesn't rain... might be difficult to get campsites but might not too?

boulderrr
05-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Thanks so much everyone for all your help! We've decided to delay the big Utah backpacking / car camping trip until mid-October when the temperature is a bit more bearable. We're going to do some river floating in western CO / eastern UT for the 4th of July holiday instead!