PDA

View Full Version : News Two (more) hikers missing in Zion Subway

Iceaxe
04-26-2011, 10:05 AM
Come on people... you are not really helping to keep things open during advanced conditions when you keep getting lost.... Canyonman needs a rest...

Two hikers missing in Zion
By Scott Kerbs - The Spectrum
April 26. 2011 8:54AM

Park rangers are searching for two missing hikers today near the Left Fork trailhead commonly known as

oldno7
04-26-2011, 10:28 AM
So were these 2 headed into the closed subway, sans permits?

Scott Card
04-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Is this different than the news report?

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=15295734

ilipichicuma
04-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Sounds like they weren't doing the Subway but were just backpacking or something in the area.

Iceaxe
04-26-2011, 10:53 AM
If I understand what is happening correctly.... and that's a big IF with news reporting....

Two people are not back from a hike in the Subway they took yesterday. They did the route from the bottom up and apparently decide the river was too high to cross. They called friends on a cell phone Monday night and explained their predicament, but that was the last anyone has heard from them... Apparently it was originally a group of 4, two returned and two didn't after getting separated.

take all of that with a large grain of salt.

Iceaxe
04-26-2011, 10:56 AM
They just found them!

Iceaxe
04-26-2011, 10:58 AM
2 missing hikers found at Zion National Park
Tamara Vaifanua, Anchor/Reporter
Fox 13 News

ZION NATIONAL PARK, Utah—
Two missing hikers at Zion National Park have been found. Park rangers were able to reach the men around 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, not far from the trail in the lower section of Subway Canyon.

Both men are said to be in good health and were hiking down when park rangers discovered them.

The hikers have been identified as Matthew Files, 35, and Nate Simon, 22, from Massachuetts. They were part of a group that got permits for the Subway Canyon area on Monday and as they were making their way back down the trail, they got separated.

Washington County search and rescue teams were dispatched, but turned up nothing by nightfall. Park rangers said the men made a call from their cell phone saying they were safe and that they would build a fire and spend the night there because the water levels were so high.

Park rangers are urging people to be prepared before heading into the backcountry.

"Anytime people do any kind of backcountry travel in Zion National Park that they need to be prepared especially this time of year, if you're around streams or rivers," said Park Ranger David Eaker.

This is the second incident in two weeks where hikers have lost their way in Subway Canyon. In both cases, hikers turned up safely, but park officials say they'll reassess things to see if any changes should be made.

http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-2-missing-hikers-found-at-zion-national-park-20110426,0,5188814.story

Scott Card
04-26-2011, 11:27 AM
From the KSL story it sounded like a different location (outside the park) but upon reading it again, it appears to be the same incident thing (two lost where 9 were rescued last week). Crazy reporting. :crazy:

ilipichicuma
04-26-2011, 12:48 PM
It's understandable that they were afraid to cross the stream. Even further down the Subway the water level was high and the current was moving fast last Tuesday. Granted, these things change fast, but it's wild that so many people are getting stuck down there.

Ryebrye
04-26-2011, 12:58 PM
The most surprising thing to me is that they had any form of cell phone signal where they decided to stop. I wonder who their carrier is.

ilipichicuma
04-26-2011, 01:07 PM
The most surprising thing to me is that they had any form of cell phone signal where they decided to stop. I wonder who their carrier is.

I'll agree with that. I need to get a piece of that.

jman
04-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Two of my friends have old Verizon phones and they have both received 1bar at the Wildcat trailhead and actually made a phone call out from there. However, I know ATT doesn't receive any reception any place down there, not until your a mile or so from the town of Virgin.

Iceaxe
04-26-2011, 02:02 PM

It sure as hell isn't AT&T. :lol8:

IntrepidXJ
04-26-2011, 02:18 PM
It sure as hell isn't AT&T. :lol8:

AT&T recently added towers and upgraded existing ones to 3G in southern Utah. I get signal in a lot more places these last few weeks than I used to... and now get 3G, too. Unfortunately their service in GJ seems to have gotten worse in the last week....

jman
04-26-2011, 02:50 PM
AT&T recently added towers and upgraded existing ones to 3G in southern Utah. I get signal in a lot more places these last few weeks than I used to... and now get 3G, too. Unfortunately their service in GJ seems to have gotten worse in the last week....

Yea, that's true. They bought out some AllTell, Springtell, BoostTell, whatever the heck it's called last year. They recently bought those towers all around the rural areas of St. George to Zion, and they (ATT rep) said they would be operational by summer...

we'll see...

tanya
04-26-2011, 03:55 PM
I have Alltell. They bought that out. Altell switches to AT&T early May. Alltell was great in remote areas.

bshwakr
04-27-2011, 07:36 AM
__

JP
04-27-2011, 07:49 AM
The hikers, one adult and one minor
So, Nate being 22 is considered a minor in Utah :mrgreen: You guys are tough :haha:

Glad they were found :2thumbs: