PDA

View Full Version : Grand Canyon Rim 2 Rim Run

Mark Schnupp
04-26-2011, 09:40 AM
Has anyone on here done it? Got any info you would like to share with a first timer?

trackrunner
04-26-2011, 10:34 AM
a few tips and info are in this thread. I'm hoping to go this fall. Not sure if logistics will work this year so maybe next year. interested in hearing any other info. :popcorn:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?41033-A-running-forum!!&p=420097

Riseforms
04-26-2011, 10:34 AM
R2R or R2R2R?

Bright Angel or Kaibab?

Mark Schnupp
04-26-2011, 12:34 PM
a few tips and info are in this thread. I'm hoping to go this fall. Not sure if logistics will work this year so maybe next year. interested in hearing any other info.

Thanks for the link, Shaun.

Mark Schnupp
04-26-2011, 01:37 PM
R2R or R2R2R?

Bright Angel or Kaibab?

The plan is to do the R2R this spring and see if I'm capable of doing the R2R2R in the fall. Also looking for someone to do Heaplay with me this summer, but that's another post on another forum.

Since we are time constrained to get this done in a weekend, we are going to go North to South (BA) and hopefully catch the 1:30 shuttle back. Neither my partner or myself are very smart, so in keeping with that rich tradition we have decided to do it the first weekend in June; late, I know! We obviously plan on getting an early start and beating the heat and hopefully some of the crowds/mules.

As far as training: I've been running 20-30 miles a week for six weeks now and am starting to feel good about my cardio, but because of crappy weather I have not been able to get on the bike and do any endurance training, this has me a little concerned. I'm interested in hearing how others have trained for this.

A couple of other questions: What time of year did you do it, and what was your experience like? What shoes would you recommended? How busy were the trails when you did it? And any other info you think would help.

Thanks for your input,

Mark

trackrunner
04-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Also looking for someone to do Heaplay with me this summer, but that's another post on another forum.

I'm a former D1 NCAA distance runner with a high Vo2MAX. I've done Heaps and I've done Imlay. And I'm crazy enough for a canyon Jihad.

Riseforms
04-26-2011, 07:29 PM
Did the R2R2R a couple of weeks ago. If you can train on some steep hills...do it! Your quads will thank you going down and your calves will going up. We started around 4 am and it was still about 90 at the ranch (pretty hot considering it was around 30 at the rim when we started). I just wore the shoes I run in, worked great. Not sure I'd try it in June though. I imagine the climb out would be dang near unbearable.

Mark Schnupp
04-27-2011, 06:35 PM
I'm a former D1 NCAA distance runner with a high Vo2MAX. I've done Heaps and I've done Imlay. And I'm crazy enough for a canyon Jihad.

Right on, I would love to do Heaplay with you. Hit me on the side @ mark.schnupp@gmail.com and we can start talking about this.

Mark

Felicia
04-27-2011, 07:41 PM
My kids have done R2R in July and August going from the North Rim to the South Rim.

They leave the North Rim in the mid afternoon and hike all night to the South Rim under a full moon. They catch the afternoon shuttle back to the North Rim.

Full moons this summer are: 6-15, 7-14, & 8-13.

Gambel Oak
04-28-2011, 06:18 PM
I had no idea about the shuttle, and thanks for the full moon dates. Looks like R2R this year.