PDA

View Full Version : Best Shoes?

ilipichicuma
04-24-2011, 11:44 PM
So I'm looking into buying some new shoes for canyoneering (since my old ones look like they have leprosy). I realize that the 5.10 Canyoneer is probably the very best shoe, but I want something that I could wear in places besides canyons. Any suggestions as to which ones would be the best and would also last me a while? I'm a bigger guy, around 250 lbs, which I think makes a difference.

trackrunner
04-25-2011, 08:19 AM
search the forum there has to be about a half a dozen existing threads or more on this subject

PG Rob
04-25-2011, 08:37 AM
Five Ten also makes 2 low top approach shoes that work well as a multipurpose shoe; the Savant (low top, geared towards water, same sticky rubber, no cage around the heel) or the Camp 4 (low top, leather... so better off dry, same sticky rubber and has heel cage).

ilipichicuma
04-25-2011, 08:58 AM
search the forum there has to be about a half a dozen existing threads or more on this subject

Well I feel intelligent now. Thanks for the head's-up. I suppose I should have done that first. :)

Iceaxe
04-25-2011, 09:51 AM
Start here: http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20831

Than go here: http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21136

nelsonccc
04-25-2011, 09:55 AM
Careful with the 5.10 approach shoe. I went this way for years but just plan on buying a shoe every season. The base of these shoes beneath the pad is made of compacted paper or something liek it. So as they get wet and dry this stuff comes out little bits at a time until you'll literally be standing on the shank. I Used to just buy a couple of pairs from Campmor every spring for like $25 a piece. A few years agi I bought the canyoneer II. Huge upgrade.

Iceaxe
04-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Careful with the 5.10 approach shoe. I went this way for years but just plan on buying a shoe every season. The base of these shoes beneath the pad is made of compacted paper or something liek it. So as they get wet and dry this stuff comes out little bits at a time until you'll literally be standing on the shank.

^^This x2

I bought the wife some 5.10 approach shoes and they just don't hold up very well with the wet/dry/repeat of canyoneering.

oldno7
04-25-2011, 12:54 PM
I'm a big fan of the Savant. I can wear out 2 pair a year though.
After that, the canyoneers can't be beat, both have the same sole.