PDA

View Full Version : High Spur, Bluejohn and Mindbender April 14th, 15th and 16th

Audilard
04-23-2011, 04:42 PM
I'm finally getting around to posting my trip report. A buddy of mine and I decided to hit 3 canyons in one weekend. First was High Spur on April 14th. Camped at the drill hole the night of the 13th after arriving at about 7:30 p.m. and trying to set up a tent in extreme winds. We camped behind the large boulder just to the North of the actually drill hole. We had to put our water jugs inside the tent along with everything else to keep it from blowing away. Good times. Got up early on Thursday and hiked to the trail head. From beginning to end High Spur is the most amazing canyon. Tremendous day, perfect light, no clouds and stunning scenery. No water at all in the canyon. Pictures don't even begin to do this canyon justice.
43598 43597 43596

Friday we did Bluejohn Main and then the lower portion of the slot to the Big Drop Rappel. We then climbed back out and slogged it back out the main exit. Luckily at the head of the West BJ trail we got a ride back to Granary Spring. As you can see, Aron's boulder is still there. :mrgreen: It seems like there is a foot of sand more than when he was there. Probably fills up and washes out frequently.

Finally, our week ended with Mindbender. We were anticipating having to build an anchor, but found a robust one already in place with a robust backup 3 feet behind it in the other little keeper hole. All the anchors were waiting for us and in great shape. Made for boring rappels. Someone had also left a 200ft dynamic rope tied as an achor at the top of the Moki steps. Talk about the easiest 5.4 climb ever!
43609:haha:43608

Couldn't have asked for better weather. Loved it!!!

Audilard
04-23-2011, 04:48 PM
I failed to mention something that made me very angry. Just as you dropped down past the s-log in the lower slot of BJ, someone had carved a tic-tac-toe games and some other graffiti into the side of the slot around one of the bends. I wanted and tried to rub part of it out but didn't have anything abraisive enough. I hope someone rubs it off the canyon wall. It was extremely disappointing to see.

moab mark
04-23-2011, 07:55 PM
Nice report, thanks

Mark

ibenick
04-24-2011, 08:32 AM
Awesome!

Audilard
04-25-2011, 07:04 AM
A few more pics....

We camped at Runt's knob after deciding the High Spur campsite was too out of the way. Runt's knob is perfect.

nat
04-25-2011, 08:28 AM
Nice photos! So that's the Ralston boulder. When I went through a few years ago, I couldn't figure out which one was it.

We briefly chatted with you guys when you drove past our camp Saturday morning on your way to Mindbender.

Nat

Audilard
04-25-2011, 08:46 AM
Nice photos! So that's the Ralston boulder. When I went through a few years ago, I couldn't figure out which one was it.

We briefly chatted with you guys when you drove past our camp Saturday morning on your way to Mindbender.

Nat

Were you going to Alcatraz?

EvergreenDean
04-25-2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the info. Headed there Thursday with Mindbender planned for Friday, Larry & BJ Saturday and Sunday. Did you remove any garbage webbing? Sounds like you left the dynamic rope in place. I'm thinking that should go away. Ready, set...rant!

Audilard
04-25-2011, 10:09 AM
The webbing in Mindbender was in decent shape, including that at the final rappel. The anchor was very robust and well built with an equally robust backup. Someone really took their time to build it. I thought long and hard about taking the dynamic rope at the moki steps. One, I didn't feel like carrying two 200ft ropes out. Two, it was well built and well placed. And finally, although it clutters the canyon....it sure was nice to have there to climb out. It took about 30 seconds to ascend. I sat there and wondered why someone would leave a decent dynamic rope and couldn't come up with an answer. So I left it for someone else to snag or leave behind.

EvergreenDean
04-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Understood. I am not a good climber, but if this is no harder than the Kelsey exit from the Butlers (which I did in the dark with headlamp) then it will be gone this Friday.

nat
04-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Were you going to Alcatraz?

Yeah, that was us. Had a nice trip through Alcatraz. There were about 50 people camped near the head (in 2 parties). Didn't see anyone in the slot though.

Nat

EvergreenDean
04-25-2011, 12:02 PM
Where is Runt's knob? Looks like a good spot in an area with few good spots.

Audilard
04-25-2011, 12:05 PM
Where is Runt's knob? Looks like a good spot in an area with few good spots.

I'd tell you but then I'd have to .....

EvergreenDean
04-25-2011, 01:00 PM
I'd tell you but then I'd have to .....

If it's named, it can be found. The hunt is on. I actually have a few tips already for the area but nice to have options. You already left me a nice dynamic rope so I guess I shouldn't ask for much more...

Audilard
04-25-2011, 01:18 PM
If it's named, it can be found. The hunt is on. I actually have a few tips already for the area but nice to have options. You already left me a nice dynamic rope so I guess I shouldn't ask for much more...

You got my PM?