PDA

View Full Version : Grand Canyon

accadacca
04-14-2011, 01:32 PM
http://www.senoryermo.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/eminence-break-0201-300x225.jpg (http://www.senoryermo.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/eminence-break-0201.jpg)

The Fate of the Powell Expedition Crew

In 1869, Major John Wesley Powell, a civil war veteran who was wounded in battle and had his right arm amputated, led a party of nine men on the first American boating expedition through Grand Canyon on the uncharted waters of the Colorado River (http://www.senoryermo.com/tag/colorado-river). After nearly 100 days of monster rapids, near death experiences, and starvation rations, the expedition split at Separation Rapids. Brothers Oramel and Seneca Howland, and William Dunn abandoned the river party; apparently fed up with Powell

Don
04-14-2011, 02:01 PM
"Brothers Oramel and Seneca Howland, and William Dunn abandoned the [John Wesley Powell] river party... recent evidence unearthed by Grand Canyon historians possibly indicates they were instead murdered by Mormons associated with the infamous Mountain Meadows Massacre of 1857."

I hadn't heard this before. I used your link to leave a comment on the site you got the information from but can anyone point me to a source for this hypothesis?

CarpeyBiggs
04-14-2011, 02:12 PM
it's in down the great unknown, citing research done by a fellow from the university of utah. he apparently found some journals from the old settlers on the shivwits plateau that mentioned a few strange men came into town in the fall of 1869, and they were basically "taken care of..."

CarpeyBiggs
04-14-2011, 02:26 PM
my memory is poor. the guy was an amatuer historian at SUU, and it wasn't a journal, it was a letter. the key sentence said ""you are far from ignorant of those deeds of blood from the day the picket fence was broken on my head to the day those three were murdered in our ward and the murderer killed to stop the shedding of more blood..."

the evidence suggests that the only three men to go missing that year in southern utah were in fact the three from separation canyon. far from conclusive though.

Don
04-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Down the Great Unknown: John Wesley Powell's 1869 Journey of Discovery and Tragedy Through the Grand Canyon by Edward Dolnick I assume?
http://www.amazon.com/Down-Great-Powells-Journey-Discovery/dp/0060955864
I haven't read that. I'm going to have to check it out.
Thanks,

ratagonia
04-14-2011, 03:04 PM
Down the Great Unknown: John Wesley Powell's 1869 Journey of Discovery and Tragedy Through the Grand Canyon by Edward Dolnick I assume?
http://www.amazon.com/Down-Great-Powells-Journey-Discovery/dp/0060955864
I haven't read that. I'm going to have to check it out.
Thanks,

I remember it as being in Krakauer's Under the Banner of Heaven. Then again, my memory???

Tom

Don
04-14-2011, 03:49 PM
I remember it as being in Krakauer's Under the Banner of Heaven. Then again, my memory???

Tom

That one is on the shelf at home; unread but on my to-do list...

Sombeech
04-14-2011, 04:15 PM
I heard they were Athiests and climbed out of the canyon and started telling everybody they saw how stupid they were for going to church when they walked into town. :roflol:

Don
04-14-2011, 04:29 PM
I heard they were Athiests and climbed out of the canyon and started telling everybody they saw how stupid they were for going to church when they walked into town. :roflol:

Wrong forum. :roll:

jman
04-14-2011, 04:41 PM

Aww...not this again...

ratagonia
04-14-2011, 04:43 PM
What about the hidden Egyptian Pyramid in the Grand Canyon? I guess they don't count that because the FEDS know where it is, but don't let anyone near it...

T :moses:

Iceaxe
04-14-2011, 05:26 PM

I read a ton of Utah history... The new theory shows up in several recent books. Krakauer gives a good overview of why some believe it was the Mormons in 'Under the Banner of Heaven' (pages 233 thru 245).

Scott P
04-14-2011, 05:45 PM
"Brothers Oramel and Seneca Howland, and William Dunn abandoned the [John Wesley Powell] river party... recent evidence unearthed by Grand Canyon historians possibly indicates they were instead murdered by Mormons associated with the infamous Mountain Meadows Massacre of 1857."

I hadn't heard this before. I used your link to leave a comment on the site you got the information from but can anyone point me to a source for this hypothesis?

The theory is not new, but has been around for a very long time (150+ years in fact).

One source is Over the Edge: Death in the Grand Canyon, but there are many, many sources out there. Here is one just randomly pulled off the net:

http://www.grandcanyon.org/booksmore/epubs/historians/pdfs/chapter_25.pdf

No one knows who killed the men. Most probably it was a case of mistaken identity.

At the time the men were killed, the indians in the area were currently in a war with the US Calvary and the Mormons were still hysterical about the Utah war. There were also supposedly a group of prospectors turned owtlaws in the area. Not long before the men were killed, the Navajos has just completed the "long walk" which killed 1/10 of them and were hiding out in the same general region.

No matter which group the three ran into, they would be viewed with suspicion. It could have been a simple murder/robbery too, but mistaken identity seems the most likely cause.

To this day, no one knows who killed the men. Of it weren't for one newspaper article saying that three men were killed, they probably would have just assumed to perished in the desert.

mattandersao
04-14-2011, 06:57 PM

Tom

It is in Under the Banner of Heaven, pages 242-244http://books.google.com/books?id=0DQaTU7Opq0C&pg=PA243&lpg=PA243&dq=under+the+banner+of+heaven+three+john+wesley+po well+men&source=bl&ots=A_OdSxGU4f&sig=rU3t-Vhitrs2C3hFDGwQ31a9ZIQ&hl=en&ei=oKWnTdHkO8OgtgfWkvndBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false
(http://books.google.com/books?id=0DQaTU7Opq0C&pg=PA243&lpg=PA243&dq=under+the+banner+of+heaven+three+john+wesley+po well+men&source=bl&ots=A_OdSxGU4f&sig=rU3t-Vhitrs2C3hFDGwQ31a9ZIQ&hl=en&ei=oKWnTdHkO8OgtgfWkvndBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false)

ExpUt
04-14-2011, 07:06 PM
What about the hidden Egyptian Pyramid in the Grand Canyon? I guess they don't count that because the FEDS know where it is, but don't let anyone near it...

I'm very versed on the subject, what is your personal take. Bogus or factual?

I read a ton of Utah history... The new theory shows up in several recent books. Krakauer gives a good overview of why some believe it was the Mormons in 'Under the Banner of Heaven' (pages 233 thru 245).

Sounds like a good read, I'll have to add it to my wish list.

Great thread btw, its the history, mystery and myths that favored my interest in the outdoors as a teenager and that lust continues today.

ratagonia
04-14-2011, 08:07 PM

I'm very versed on the subject, what is your personal take. Bogus or factual?

I have to go with totally bogus, but I am FASCINATED by other people's hallucinations.

Tom

oldno7
04-15-2011, 05:15 AM
I don't know about a pyramid but I think I've put the clues together for the Egyptian cave.
It was even mentioned in Powells book. I'd have to go back to get the book and page #'s.

canyonphile
04-15-2011, 07:32 AM
I first read about the Howland brothers/Dunn murders being falsely blamed on the Pauite Indians in Over the Edge: Death in Grand Canyon, by Myers and Ghiglieri. My copy is now going on 10 years old, so that's when I first heard of it. In fact, that was the first time I'd heard of the Mountain Meadows Massacre (which, according to Krakaur's Under the Banner of Heaven - an awesome read - was also wrongly blamed on Indians...handy scapegoats they were for the evils committed by white men :roll:).

There is a lengthy section in the "Murder" chapter devoted to the detail of the Powell murders. A letter written from one William Leany a friend named John Steele, written in 1883. It was sort of a deathbed confession. Here is the excerpt of the quote from the letter in the chapter:

"God shall bear me witness that I am clean of all of which they accuse me & they guilty of all that I accuse them & much more...And I cannot see that for me to confess to a lie would make me more worthy or they less guilty & here let me say that my object is & has been to stay the overwhelming tide of thieving whoredom murder and Suicide & like abominations that threaten to desolate the land & you are far from ignorant of those deeds of blood from the day the picket was broken on my head to the day those three were murdered in our ward & the murderer killed to stop the shedding of more blood....As the old Prophets said of the blood & violence in the city & blood tondreth blood if that was not fulfilled in the killing of the three in one room of our ward please say what it was & for all this & much more unrighteous dominations shall be cast out of the land...Be assured that I will, God being my helper, clear my skirts of the mobbing, raking, stealing, whoredom, murder, suicide, lying, slander & all wickedness & abominations even in high places."

Apparently, they [Dunn and the Howland brothers] were perceived to be government spies coming after the Mormons following the MMM. After all, three men climbing out of the Grand Canyon from a rafting expedition down the Colorado? Unheard of...literally. So, paranoia took over, and they were likely killed under the presumption they were spies, all before word got back from SLC that there indeed was a river expedition down the Colorado, and that three men had left the trip to hike out and would be needing assistance...oops! A massive cover-up was of course necessary, and it involved killing the murderer and a blood oath of silence from everyone involved.

It's definitely more than a "hypothesis"; apparently, records searched in Toquerville show only on trio had been killed in that area in 1869. Seems pretty clear based on the historical evidence what happened.

Further evidence shows that the murder was very likely Eli N. Pace - the son-in-law of none other than John D. Lee. How's that for irony :haha:?

Anyway, [I]Over the Edge is an awesome book. I'd recommend it for anyone reading this thread :2thumbs:.

Iceaxe
04-15-2011, 08:20 AM
I first read about the Howland brothers/Dunn murders being falsely blamed on the Pauite Indians in Over the Edge: Death in Grand Canyon, by Myers and Ghiglieri.

FWIW: That book is a great read for anyone interested in the Grand Canyon, canyoneering, Southwest history, etc. The book contains a lot of interesting stories including all that have been mentioned above.

Scott P
04-15-2011, 09:12 AM
In fact, that was the first time I'd heard of the Mountain Meadows Massacre (which, according to Krakaur's Under the Banner of Heaven

As entertaining as Krakaur's books are (they are some of the most spell-binding to read), I have been told by people that have been in his books, that he isn't a trustworthy source of information. Of course, his own opinion of his own books may differ.:haha:

Sombeech
04-15-2011, 09:49 AM
All I'm seeing is that they killed the murderer before he could do any further harm, not a "death bed confession" of killing the three.

canyonphile
04-15-2011, 11:10 AM
All I'm seeing is that they killed the murderer before he could do any further harm, not a "death bed confession" of killing the three.
Well, the murderer was killed to cover up the Powell murders, which he did presumably under order or suggestion and knowledge of people within the church. The man writing the letter was not the killer, but he was apparently part of the "blood oath of silence" group that knew of them. His letter was perhaps his way of atoning or confessing to a despicable act he knew of to someone he trusted.

If not for his letter, the murders could have possibly gone on to be forever wrongly blamed on the Paiutes, which I'm sure would have been dandy-A-okay by many people within the LDS church. Having such atrocities committed (this, and the MMM) is a no doubt a stain on the LDS church. Luckily, much time has passed, which helps; there was plenty of savagery happening in the US before and around that time. Besides, I can't think of a single religion that hasn't killed in the name of defending or enforcing its beliefs, so y'all are in good company.

I'm not terribly surprised people would attempt to discount Krakaur's work, esp. in regards to Under the Banner of Heaven. It does the church of LDS no favors, and focuses on the unsavory underbelly [polygamy and the fundie LDS sect] and dark past of your faith that I'm sure every mainstream Mormon wishes did not exist or that could be quietly swept under the rug. That doesn't mean the information is wrong. I've read several of his books, and it seems very clear to me that he goes to great lengths to get his information correct.

But, if someone is willing to share exactly what is wrong and cite their source(s), I'd love to hear! Please feel free to PM me or start a new thread.

Iceaxe
04-15-2011, 11:45 AM
In regards to the Howland's and Dunn.... I believe the most damning evidence in all this is that Whitey was always really good at punishing the Indians for any wrong doing.... you know the drill... Injuins kill a couple white eyes so whitey removes the nearest 100 injuins from the face of the planet.

But... in this case the respose was more... "dang, those crazy injuin's, what ya going to do?"

And if you haven't seen this... its dang funny... I'm White and I apologies...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft5l5Haqqpo

Brian in SLC
04-15-2011, 03:00 PM
As entertaining as Krakaur's books are (they are some of the most spell-binding to read), I have been told by people that have been in his books, that he isn't a trustworthy source of information. Of course, his own opinion of his own books may differ.:haha:

His dialog with "the church" on Under the Banner is an interesting read. I was in front of the guy from the church who apparently wrote the church reponse to the book at the book signing in SLC at Trolley Square. Pretty neat, really.

As far as his being "trustworthy", I guess I'd disagree, having known (and climbed with) some of the folks in his other book(s). They find his accounts of things pretty accurate. As far as parsing out old church history, yeah, he said she said.

ratagonia
04-15-2011, 04:04 PM
His dialog with "the church" on Under the Banner is an interesting read. I was in front of the guy from the church who apparently wrote the church reponse to the book at the book signing in SLC at Trolley Square. Pretty neat, really.

As far as his being "trustworthy", I guess I'd disagree, having known (and climbed with) some of the folks in his other book(s). They find his accounts of things pretty accurate. As far as parsing out old church history, yeah, he said she said.

His book on the Pat Tilman affair (Where Men Win Glory) was wonderful (in a scary way). He goes to great lengths to establish what happened on the day in question, and makes it pretty clear where the scenario he presents came from. The Tilman family reached somewhat different conclusions and ended up not liking Krakauer, but... I believe Krakauer got it right for several reasons: 1. his view was not tainted by emotional attachment; 2. his research was taken after the fact (rather than being involved in the tumultuous roll out of lies and coverup before the true story more or less came out); 3. I think the Tilman family probably gives undue weight to the opinion of Pat's brother (who was also involved in the firefight).

And not liking Krakauer? His interest is in getting the story right, not in being warm, fuzzy and cuddly.

Tom

Scott P
04-17-2011, 07:45 PM
As far as his being "trustworthy", I guess I'd disagree, having known (and climbed with) some of the folks in his other book(s). They find his accounts of things pretty accurate.

I haven't read Under the Banner of Heaven, so I wouldn't know about that one. As said, Krakauers books are very spell-binding and entertaining to read (I've read all hiss mountaineering books; not the others). Into Thin Air rates right up there with the Mount Foraker story in the book In the Zone for the most spell binding mountaineering accounts I have read.

But, if someone is willing to share exactly what is wrong and cite their source(s), I'd love to hear!

I have two sources. One is Steve Allen whom I would consider a reliable source. According to him the entire account of "Mystery Canyon" (not the real name) is bogus (though it wasn't written entirely by Krakauer). They actually entered the canyon via an old cattle trail. It was not the long lost Anasazi route that was claimed (at least according to SA). The rest of the story was supposedly not accurate or exaggerated as well. I don't remember that many details on what else, but someone else (Tom?) should ask Steve. I've only met him once and can't recall the entire conversation other than the story was mostly bogus. I haven't personally read the account either.

Another person was so upset with what he considered inaccuracies in a Krakauer account that he will not talk about it in public anymore. Because of this I won't mention the name online, but if you go back and read Into Thin Air, it will become quite clear whom I am speaking about and why/how I know them.

Actually, it seems that every book writting by Krakauer is controversial in one way or another. Does anyone that are not? Google pulls up 722,000 results on "Krakauer controversy".

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4DKUS_enUS252US252&q=Krakauer+mistakes#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=active&rlz=1T4DKUS_enUS252US252&source=hp&q=Krakauer%20controversy&aq=0v&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=f5b1d5aa1ea1fb55&pf=p&pdl=500

I'm not claiming that I don't like Krakauers books, but he does seem to like (or at least choose to deal with) a lot of contoversy. I don't know Krakauer and have never met him; I've just heard it from others. Of course that can mean that in Krakauers eyes, it is his books that are accurate and the others that aren't.

As far as his being "trustworthy", I guess I'd disagree, having known (and climbed with) some of the folks in his other book(s).

It would be very interesting to hear of your experience. Who and which books/accounts?

bobb169
04-17-2011, 08:41 PM
The Temple is the Isis Temple that you can see from the S rim. Here's the 1909 article........

http://www.xpeditionsmagazine.com/magazine/canyon/canyon.html

Ever wonder why so many Egyptian names in the Canyon and why some parts of the canyon are off limits? ............. a good conspiracy theory :naughty:

Brian in SLC
04-19-2011, 10:42 AM
I have two sources. One is Steve Allen whom I would consider a reliable source. According to him the entire account of "Mystery Canyon" (not the real name) is bogus (though it wasn't written entirely by Krakauer).

Are you referencing the "Canyoneering" chapter in Eiger Dreams? Can't recall specifically, but, I thought he was intentionally vague in some aspects of that story to protect it's location? I think its "Crystal"? Dunno.

The debate of his "Into Thin Air" played out, and still does occasionally, ad naseum on especially climbing bulletin boards. A lot of it is opinion on what should or shouldn't have happened, but, the events themselves are pretty solidly documented. If you look at how many books were written about that season on Everest (27 and counting?), then, you get everyone's take on those days' events. Seems like a long time ago by now. And its kind of a tired old debate. I still run into folks who just read the book, then read DeWalt's, and want to talk about it. Funny.

Its interesting that he's sensitive enought to criticism that he's offered rebuttals to most of the major stuff. Look at the detailed responses in the current edition of Into Thin Air for example. Was kinda fun to see the next printing come out with new stuff. Crazy.

His latest deal with Greg and his essay, "Three Cups of Deceipt" is wild stuff.

http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2011/04/19/were-there-three-cups-of-deceit/

Yeah, he writes about controversial stuff. It sells. Well.

mhambi
04-19-2011, 02:47 PM
How did Carol Brady survive the 110+ heat wearing a polyester leisure suit?!

Scott Card
04-19-2011, 03:08 PM
How did Carol Brady survive the 110+ heat wearing a polyester leisure suit?!
:roflol:

Scott P
04-19-2011, 03:37 PM
Are you referencing the "Canyoneering" chapter in Eiger Dreams?

No. It was an Outside magazine article. Searching on the net, it might be June 1995 issue(?), but I can't pull it up. Anyone here have it?

In any case, the real canyon is unidentified in the article, but is actually Anasazi Canyon.

I believe the title of the article is In the Canyon Incognita: Deep into Anasazi Country, and way back in time.

If anyone here can pull it up or find it, it would be appreciated.

Yeah, he writes about controversial stuff. It sells. Well.

Exactly. Controversy almost always sells. Controversial topics almost always refuted to the he said/she said cycle and someone will always dispute something in a controversial article, book, movie, etc.

nat
04-19-2011, 03:43 PM
I have two sources. One is Steve Allen whom I would consider a reliable source. According to him the entire account of "Mystery Canyon" (not the real name) is bogus (though it wasn't written entirely by Krakauer). They actually entered the canyon via an old cattle trail. It was not the long lost Anasazi route that was claimed (at least according to SA). The rest of the story was supposedly not accurate or exaggerated as well. I don't remember that many details on what else, but someone else (Tom?) should ask Steve. I've only met him once and can't recall the entire conversation other than the story was mostly bogus. I haven't personally read the account either.

Hmm...I'm not sure how Steve Allen would know whether the "Mystery Canyon" account was bogus. This was a chapter written in a book by Dave Roberts (I think the book is something like "In Search of the Old Ones") about a partial descent that he and Krakauer made of Anasazi Canyon (called "Mystery Canyon" in the book). I read this account, and found out where it was from a colleague of mine who had been there, and I later descended most of it in May 2001, from a hike overland. Most of the account in Robert' book seemed accurate to me. They definitely entered the canyon from a long series of Moki steps (which may or may not date to the Anasazi) not a cattle trail. In fact this is the fastest way to the canyon from overland if you don't have a boat. The rest of the description Roberts gave pretty much made sense with what I saw.

Nat

Scott P
04-19-2011, 04:18 PM
This was a chapter written in a book by Dave Roberts (I think the book is something like "In Search of the Old Ones") about a partial descent that he and Krakauer made of Anasazi Canyon (called "Mystery Canyon" in the book).

Now you even have me more curious. I just ordered that book.

http://www.amazon.com/Search-Old-Ones-David-Roberts/dp/0684832127

canyonphile
04-19-2011, 06:59 PM
Okay, you've completely lost me here :gap:! Exactly what Krakauer book are you talking about? I thought we were talking about inaccuracies about Under the Banner of Heaven. I don't recall reading a book by him that was about canyons, so I guess it's one of the few I haven't read.

Another person was so upset with what he considered inaccuracies in a Krakauer account that he will not talk about it in public anymore. Because of this I won't mention the name online, but if you go back and read Into Thin Air, it will become quite clear whom I am speaking about and why/how I know them.
It's been a couple of years maybe since I read this book, but I didn't realize there was anything controversial in it, either. I guess that doesn't come as a surprise given the events of that expedition.

Scott P
04-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Exactly what Krakauer book are you talking about?

See above.

I thought we were talking about inaccuracies about Under the Banner of Heaven.

I was speaking about some of the articles/books in general, not Under the Banner of Heaven.

It's been a couple of years maybe since I read this book, but I didn't realize there was anything controversial in it, either.

The book has been fairly controversial, but as Brian points out, it's somewhat old news. Many of his books I know of have been controversial, for one reason or another.

As mentioned above, my post was based on two people's comments. There wouldn't be any way to verify or discount the information personally since I haven't been in his books and have never met him. I have not read Under the Banner of Heaven and even if I did it would be almost impossible for anyone to verify or discount the information, at least concerning the deaths of the members in the Powell party.

canyonphile
04-19-2011, 09:50 PM
See above.

This didn't answer my question, but a Google search shows he didn't write a book called "Mystery Canyon". So, it's Eiger Dreams, then, which was not stated as being written by Krakauer anywhere above. Hence my question. Now, I'll have to look for that at our library and read it.

As mentioned above, my post was based on two people's comments. There wouldn't be any way to verify or discount the information personally since I haven't been in his books and have never met him. I have not read Under the Banner of Heaven and even if I did it would be almost impossible for anyone to verify or discount the information, at least concerning the deaths of the members in the Powell party.

Well, he wasn't the only source to site that it wasn't the Paiute indians, but paranoid post-MMM Mormons, that killed the Powell expedition trio, and I quoted directly from Over The Edge the direct source [letter] of that information. The letter is probably the best proof there is, and apparently, is well-researched as to its authenticity and accuracy. But, I like what Iceaxe says about the blase' reaction/response and lack of retaliation towards the Paiutes - that's an excellent point.

Under the Banner of Heaven was an excellent read. Creepy, fascinating and quite enlightening. It was like the Cliff Notes version of the history of the LDS faith, starting right from the beginning, and showing where it went awry leading to those horrific murders of the woman and her toddler daughter. The dude who did it still sits in prison, unrepentant for what he did, because he honestly believes that God spoke directly to him and told him they needed to die. I'd be willing to bet that something similar went down with the Powell murders: a direct "conversation with God" with a member(s) of the ward telling him/them to kill those three men.

Krakauer remains one of my favorite non-fiction authors. His subjects are always interesting and he's a very engaging writer, if not that prolific. I'll definitely read anything he writes, controversial or not.

Scott P
04-19-2011, 10:04 PM
This didn't answer my question, but a Google search shows he didn't write a book called "Mystery Canyon". So, it's Eiger Dreams, then, which was not stated as being written by Krakauer anywhere above. Hence my question. Now, I'll have to look for that at our library and read it.

No, it was not Eiger Dreams (I think you are reading Brian's post instead of mine). As stated in my post, was the article In the Canyon Incognita: Deep into Anasazi Country, and way back in time.

Well, he wasn't the only source to site that it wasn't the Paiute indians, but paranoid post-MMM Mormons, that killed the Powell expedition trio, and I quoted directly from Over The Edge the direct source [letter] of that information.

Did you read my first post in this thread? I also quoted the same book as being just one source of the theory that it was done by Mormons (before you quoted it). As stated, the theory is not new, but has been around for a long time. Although no one alive knows what happened to the men, it is certainly one of several plausable theories and they may well have been killed by Mormons, most likely because of mistaken identity. According to many sources, the Indians themselves confessed to killing the men (See the book Beyond the Hundreth Meridian: John Wesley Powell and the Opening of the West for one source), also because of mistaken identity, but it is still very possible that they were used as scapegoats as well. There are other theories as well.

Hence why it's considered one of the great unsolved mysteries of the Grand Canyon.

pfinjt
04-20-2011, 01:32 PM
I remember thinking at the time I read "Under the Banner of Heaven" that the theory that Powell's men were killed by Mormons was pretty weak. It relies on the speculations of amateur historian Wes Larsen based on a letter written years after the deaths with the cryptic reference to "three ... murdered in our ward."

Edward Dolnick addressed the theory in his book "Down the Great Unknown" and found it lacking, saying it "takes a cryptic sentence in a private letter and spins a tale of conspiracy, blood oaths, and cold-eyed executions." (Dolnick didn't much care for the theory that Indians killed Powell's men, either, for the same reasons that Iceaxe mentions.)

Interestingly, there is an alternative interpretation of the letter, given by Don Lago on the Grand Canyon River Guides website. (http://www.gcrg.org/bqr/16-3/myth.html) Lago claims the letter refers to a different set of murders. Without much better evidence, I think it's difficult to pin the deaths of Powell's men on the Mormons. The Mormon Church (and Krakauer himself) noted that Krakauer is not a professional historian. It's pretty difficult to sift through historical evidence to build a case sometimes, even for professional historians. Given the quality of the evidence we have in this case, the deaths of Powell's men really do remain a mystery.