PDA

View Full Version : What's your gear list for a 3 night backpack trip into the Uintas?

Wasatch Rebel
04-11-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm looking to come up with a comprehensive list for a mid-July trip to Kings Peak. I know what I'd bring, but I don't know if I'm forgetting something and a friend of mine who's going along wants to know what to bring. I don't want to have him over pack, or under pack as he's an older guy like me.:)

So let me know what you'd bring as far as all clothing and gear.

ibenick
04-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Here's my list for 3 days/2 nights in good conditions in the Uintas. With about 7 lbs of camera gear included I'm usually pushing 40 pounds wet. With enough beer to keep me happy for two nights, 55 lbs. :lol8:

Check List for 3 days/2 nights of backpacking

Shelter

Tent w/stakes & poles
50’ of cord
sleeping bag
sleeping pad

Kitchen

Stove
Fuel
foldable bowl
spork
coffee/cocktail cup
Hiking bladder
Kitchen sink bladder
Tin foil for cooking fish
Water filter
Pot w/pot holder

Food

2 MH Dinners
2 days of Oats
1 bag instant potatoes
1 small bag Jerky
1 small bag nuts/trail mix
4 granola bars
1 bag candy/simple sugar
2 days of coffee
Lemon pepper for fish

Navigation

GPS
Spot
Paper Maps
Extra batteries for GPS and Spot
Compass

Fishing Gear

Fly rod and reel
Line clippers
Fly box
tippet/leader

Pet Gear

Food bowls/water bowls
Dog Food
Dog Treats
Dog Backpack(s)
Dog blanket(s)
Leash(es)

Camera Gear

Camera
Wide lens
Long lens
Tripod
Wired trigger
Lens cleaning supplies
Filters
Extra batteries
Extra memory cards

Clothing (packed)

Rain jacket
Beanie
Gloves (if cold)
fleece (if really cold)

Long sleeve wicking shirt
Spare pants
Camp underwear
Camp socks
Crocks for camp

Clothing (wearing)

Convertible pants/shorts
synthetic short sleeve shirt
Hiking underwear
Hiking socks
Hiking boots
Shade hat
Sunglasses

Personal Items

Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Gum
Vitamins
Medications
Lip Balm
Hand sanitizer
Toilet paper

First Aid/Emergency Kit

Pain killers
Anti-diarrhea
Antihistamine
Bandages, etc.
Duct tape
Extra lighters
Fire starter
Emergency blanket
Mr. Incognito's instruction on how to handle a rattle snake bite!
water purification tabs

Entertainment

Book (if solo, have time)
iPhone/iPod
Headphones
Cards (if rain forecasted)
Flask of scotch
Beer if less than 20 miles (Steel Reserve)

Miscellaneous

Bug spray (don't mess around in the Uintas, get a real can and share it)

Sunscreen
Trekking Poles
Multi-tool
Head lamp
Lighters
Thermarest stuff/pillow sack

Deadeye008
04-11-2011, 12:20 PM
My list isn't as organized as Nick's...
Tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, rain gear, 4 pairs of socks(one for each day plus one to sleep in), underwear(however many you feel comfortable bringing...), 2 short sleeve synthetic shirts (1 to wear, 1 to sleep in), down jacket(I put this in a stuff sack and use it for a pillow at night), 1 pair convertible pants, sleeping bottoms(shorts or thermal bottoms whichever you prefer), beanie, first aid kit, lighter, knife, mess kit, vienna sausage can alcohol stove and wind screen, alcohol fuel, spork, insulated mug(for hot chocolate at night and in the morning), tin foil, season salt, bug spray!, moist wipes, UL cat hole digger, flashlight, headlamp, small multi-tool, sunscreen, trekking poles, water filter(purification tablets for a backup), toothbrush/toothpaste, lip balm, hand sanitizer, hat and sun glasses, fishing pole with flies/lures, 50' paracord, GPS, paper map(depending on where I'm going), spare batteries and solar charger, kitchen sized garbage bag.

Camera gear is usually my lightest weight body plus standard zoom lens and or fisheye, tripod and remote, extra batteries and memory. Sometimes I'll just bring the point and shoot if I'm feeling lazy.

I usually eat oatmeal for breakfast. I have fish and dehydrated meals I put together for dinners to save on weight. I cook the dehydrated meals in gallon size freezer bags and eat them right out of the bag so that I don't have to wash any dishes. I just eat snacks for lunch.

My pack usually weighs in at 20-25lbs plus my camera gear.

mr. incognito
04-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Backpack (impossible to forget, only on the list for completeness :crazy:)
small plastic trowel cat-hole shovel/ toilet paper (:bootyshake:most important items on list :facepalm1: you don't want to come up with alternatives in the field)
3L insulated Camelbak reservoir :slobber:
1l hard bottle (important if you pop a hole in your camelbak, :nono:contingency plans...)
Platypus gravity filtration system bags or water filter pump (I would rather take chances with Giardia than take iodine tablets as back up, yeeeech)
two person tent/ground tarp
sleeping bag/sleeping pad
GPS/maps/Compass
100% DEET REI Junglejuice bug repellent (anything else is completely worthless in the Uintas)
camp stove/fuel canisters/lighter
Titanium Mess kit/utensils/can opener
camp kettle/ serious business super mug :2thumbs:
swimming suit/towel
biodegradable soap
SOS cleaning pad(s)
several draw string garbage bags
several ziplock freezer bags
3 50' cords and pulley
Headlamp,collapsible tent mini lantern
extra lithium batteries
rainy day card games
Ghost stories
camera
Hat sunscreen sunglasses :bandit:
rain gear/backpack cover
clothes (your clothes are different than mine so no detail here)
Gaiters
camp sandals (needed for night piss trips :crazycobasa:)/ hiking boots
backpacker's first aid kit including 2 SAM splints
Mylar emergency space blanket
emergency magnesium tipped strike-in-a-blizzard-or-deluge matches
emergency whistle/signal mirror/colored smoke bombs
Knife
Binoculars (well worth the extra weight to spot critters and folks a long way off in the middle of nowhere)
toothbrush/paste
twine/duct tape
add water type pasta packets or ready to eat trail meals
Quaker instant oatmeal
homemade trailmix :popcorn:
hot chocolate packets (with the little marshmallows :haha:)
Jerky
straw type fruity drink mix (think koolaid but it comes in little easily packed straws)
emergency ramen packages
a clue :fitz:

1st night-in luxury dinner: Giant Beef stew can or frozen chicken breasts/steak :cool2:
instant mash potatoes
2 cans of pepsi

I don't go ultralight that's for sure on a 4-7 day trip my pack weighs 65-85lbs. :stud:
My last trip to King's Peak I went in with 80 lbs. pack and strapped a 20 lb. horse skull plus a trashbag full of clueless dumbasses' litter to it on the way out.

Well I probably forgot something because I am not actually dumping gear out and packing

Wasatch Rebel
04-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Nice lists, all three of you. Deadeye, do you also put the oatmeal in the freezer bags? I suppose then you just add the hot water to the bags?

I'm going to print off these lists and share them if you're all okay with that.

mr. incognito
04-11-2011, 07:21 PM
First Aid/Emergency Kit

Pain killers
Anti-diarrhea
Antihistamine
Bandages, etc.
Duct tape
Extra lighters
Fire starter
Emergency blanket
Rattlesnake bite kit
water purification tablet

ibenick, I am seriously concerned and worried about this item on your list, all rattlesnake bite kits are worthless and dangerous. None have been medically approved, all have been evaluated and proven dangerous. no professional serpentologists use anything like this ever.

I know exactly what I am talking about, I am a professional herpetologist and work with venomous snakes on a regular basis. Cut and suck type kits will almost certainly result in an amputation or serious life altering injury and introduce bacteria and infection into a wound with an already compromised ability to fight off infection, not to mention they would be so painful due to increased sensitivity around a bite that it would be nearly impossible to attempt. Sawyer type extractors (any suction) do not get a medically significant amount of venom out from the wound and traumatize already seriously damaged tissue (think skin grafts.) Tourniquets or constriction bands isolate the venom and increase tissue damage locally. serious muscle damage or amputation will result. Don't ever cut, suck, ice, or restrict circulation. Don't take aspirin or blood thinners (alcohol) might cause dangerous blood pressure.
What to do if less than 3 hours from help: stay calm, keep limb lower than heart, remove rings, watches, shoelaces, clothing etc. that might become tourniquets, mark edge of swelling every 15 min. get help, get to hospital (don't attempt to drive yourself)
what to do if farther than 3 hours from help: stay calm, keep limb lower than heart, inject epinephrine (EPI-pen) if available, take Benadryl if available, place compression bandage on wound (not a tourniquet) walk (never run) towards help until unable.
At the hospital you will get CROFAB antivenin for rattlesnake venom.
Most rattlesnakes in Utah have hemotoxin which is destructive to blood and muscle tissue. You certainly would survive a bite unless you have a weak immune system or are very young or old. No venomous snakes anywhere near the Uintas have neurotoxin so tourniquets do way more harm than good we aren't talking Cobras here. Rattlesnakes will rarely be found above 9,000 feet although some have been documented at 12,000 feet the probability of an encounter is drastically reduced in the high basins and peaks. Rarely does anyone get bitten who wasn't trying to pick up, move or kill the snake, you dog is in far more danger as it is dumb enough to poke his nose at the snake.

Wasatch Rebel
04-12-2011, 02:55 AM
Mr. Incognito, that's great advice. I wasn't aware of the proper procedure for rattlesnake bite treatment.

ibenick
04-12-2011, 04:42 AM
Wow. Thanks Mr. Incognito. Getting rid of the bite kit! I had a couple of incidents years ago where I ended up with rattlers literally between my legs on two separate occasions, hence why I picked up the kit. One of which was literally on the top ridge line of the Wellsville mountains at about 8600 feet. Fortunately, neither incident ended up in a bite.

Do you know anything about the rattle snake vaccine shots that vets give to dogs? From what I was told it gives them a bit of an immunity that really just gives you more time to get the dog into the vet for treatment. I've been getting all three of my dogs the shot annually. Wondering if that might be a waste too?

gnwatts
04-12-2011, 05:23 AM
No one brings a Crazy Creek?!! I never leave without my chair. Most of the items have been covered in the previous posts, but I thought I would ad a few. I have a circular "bear proof" food container that is small and fits nicely in my pack, I got it from the NPS. Btw you can use a rock if you forget TP. I never have carried a snake bite kit, but now I have a reason not to, thanks Mr. Incognito. I use a MSR gravity filter, which has almost changed my life (I detest pumping). My dromedary is bomber, never felt the need for an extra bottle. If I carried as much as Nick I would be dead by now, Muy Macho senor. My Jet Boil is another cherished member of the family, that and ancient titanium pot (my 40th b'day present). The organic "curried lentil bisque" is my favorite dinner. My western mountaineering 40 degree bag has kept me warm into the low 30's, so I use it most of the time. My pack is about 28lbs before water.

Dr. Nebz
04-12-2011, 05:23 AM
ibenick, I am seriously concerned and worried about this item on your list, all rattlesnake bite kits are worthless and dangerous. None have been medically approved, all have been evaluated and proven dangerous. no professional serpentologists use anything like this ever.

I know exactly what I am talking about, I am a professional herpetologist and work with venomous snakes on a regular basis. Cut and suck type kits will almost certainly result in an amputation or serious life altering injury and introduce bacteria and infection into a wound with an already compromised ability to fight off infection, not to mention they would be so painful due to increased sensitivity around a bite that it would be nearly impossible to attempt. Sawyer type extractors (any suction) do not get a medically significant amount of venom out from the wound and traumatize already seriously damaged tissue (think skin grafts.) Tourniquets or constriction bands isolate the venom and increase tissue damage locally. serious muscle damage or amputation will result. Don't ever cut, suck, ice, or restrict circulation. Don't take aspirin or blood thinners (alcohol) might cause dangerous blood pressure.
What to do if less than 3 hours from help: stay calm, keep limb lower than heart, remove rings, watches, shoelaces, clothing etc. that might become tourniquets, mark edge of swelling every 15 min. get help, get to hospital (don't attempt to drive yourself)
what to do if farther than 3 hours from help: stay calm, keep limb lower than heart, inject epinephrine (EPI-pen) if available, take Benadryl if available, place compression bandage on wound (not a tourniquet) walk (never run) towards help until unable.
At the hospital you will get CROFAB antivenin for rattlesnake venom.
Most rattlesnakes in Utah have hemotoxin which is destructive to blood and muscle tissue. You certainly would survive a bite unless you have a weak immune system or are very young or old. No venomous snakes anywhere near the Uintas have neurotoxin so tourniquets do way more harm than good we aren't talking Cobras here. Rattlesnakes will rarely be found above 9,000 feet although some have been documented at 12,000 feet the probability of an encounter is drastically reduced in the high basins and peaks. Rarely does anyone get bitten who wasn't trying to pick up, move or kill the snake, you dog is in far more danger as it is dumb enough to poke his nose at the snake.

Awesome! Thanks for posting this. I think this is very valuable information. 10/10! :2thumbs:

I have never seen a snake in all my travels the Uinta's, so I have never really worried about them up there. I have seen them here around 7,000 ft in the Wasatch. But never higher in elevation. And I have hiked all of the 200+ miles of trail system here in the Tri-Canyons. I have never bought a snake bite kit because the training I have had echoed your sentiments, they are worthless and do more harm than good. Generally from my encounters, that most of the time I have ran into them, they let you know where they are. I always stop, and look around when you hear them rattle. The sound usually after looking around helps me locate them, and I give them a wide girth. According to what I have learned, they can strike about half the length of their body. So giving them plenty of room and watching where you put your hands and feet is about the best protection you can have. The Western Diamondback that I ran into in Arizona in March didn't seem agitated like the ones I have seen here in the foothills. It gave me like two shakes, kind of a "Hey, I'm over here, don't step on me." I think I was more scared of that one, because it seemed to have no fear of me. Spooky to say the least.

Here is the guy I ran into in Arizona in March

ibenick
04-12-2011, 05:44 AM
No one brings a Crazy Creek?!! I never leave without my chair.

Ugh. So wish I had a chair. That's the one thing I really miss when backpacking. I bought one of those crazy creek style chairs and it didn't work for me. I think I'm too big and tall or something. Just not comfortable at all. Last year I bought one of those folding thermarest foam mats, the Z-lite I believe. I cut it in a couple of pieces and bring it to use as a chair against a rock or a log. Then at night I let my dog(s) sleep on it and it helps them to keep a lot warmer.

If I carried as much as Nick I would be dead by now, Muy Macho senor. .... My pack is about 28lbs before water.

Yeah, I end up with a heavy pack with all that camera and fishing gear. Oh, and the booze, now there's some weight. But without that stuff and water I'm in the mid high twenties as well. My philosophy on it is to to buy all the lightest possible equipment I can and then throw in all the luxuries I want. And as my friends always tell me, since I'm so much larger then them I should be obligated to carry more weight. :haha:

Dr. Nebz
04-12-2011, 05:47 AM
Wow, seems like everyone brings everything and the kitchen sink. I have learned that every ounce counts. As I do not travel as light as some of my friends do, I do manage to keep my pack weight to a minimum. I basically pack the following:

Tent- Kelty Dart 1- 1.8 lbs

Sleeping Bag- 30 degree rated- 2.2 lbs

Therma Rest Sleeping Pad- got a 3/4 pad for this season, and I have a REI sit pad, combined I have a full length insulated pad, and something to sit on during the day.

Arcteyx Alpha SL Goretex Packlite Rain Jacket, and Sierra Designs Rain Pants. Super light, very rain proof.

North Face Optimus Redpoint Jacket- Packs into a pillow and is great for those nights where it is a bit chilly, weighs almost nothing.

3 liters of water- though, I usually hike with a half full res, then fill it full when I get to camp. I also bring a 32 oz and 16 oz Nalgene empty, which I fill up at camp.

I generally pack in dehydrated meals, but I like fresh veggies out there, so I will do a sweet potatoe, maybe a red pepper, and a lemon with my fish. I have found that palm or olive oil is far better than butter when doing a tin foil fish for dinner. Meat stays moist and comes right off the bones. Snacks range from cliff bars to almonds to fruit rolls to sour patch kids. Gotta love em! I basically figure out how many meals I am gonna need, breakfast, lunch and dinner for the days I am going to be out there, then pack an extra day worth of food, just in case, you never know what is going to happen, or if you just decide to stay another day. It will be interesting this season for sure because I now have a food dehydrator, so gonna be making my own jerky and dried fruits and veggies for my trips. I also found dehydrated Coconut Water, so that is going to save on the weight as well. Packing probiotics instead of yogurt this season, saves weight too.

First aid kit, which is stocked with everything from bandages, pain relief, sun and burn treatment, and I include a stitch kit and heavy duty medical tape in case I need to set a break and make a splint. And I also pack an antihistamine, never a bad Idea in case you run into something that is making you allergic.

Stove, Snowpeak fuel, and Snowpeak mess kit. All super light weight.

Sweet Water filter. And I do have emergency tablets to purify water if the filter fails for some reason. Hasn't yet, but not taking any chances, and the Katadyn Tablets are small and very powerful, will kill anything in the water if used as directed.

Fishing pole, bubbles and fly collection.

Nikon D90, and Benro Tripod, weighs less than 2 lbs.

Of course a topo map of the area and compass. I have a gps, and will map a route if it is an area I am not familiar with. If it is someplace like the Unitas, I generally just wear my Sunnto which has an altimeter and barometer.

Ipod Shuffle and some small speakers.

Flask of Wild Turkey American Honey Whiskey, and Pink Country Time Lemonade to mix it with. Supplies for a safety meeting and something to make fire with.

And last year, I packed in Starbucks Via's. Makes quick coffee and is virtually weightless.

CarpeyBiggs
04-12-2011, 06:11 AM
yes, crazy amounts of weight being carried by folks. however, there is two types of backpackers. those who like to move effortlessly, and camp minimally. and those who like to carry everything they can, and camp in style. i greatly prefer to camp minimally, and move quickly. my base weight is right about 10 pounds, and i carry 2 to 2.5 pounds of food per day. add a few pounds for camera gear, and i'm still below 20 pounds for a 2-3 night adventure in the uintas. water is easy to obtain in the uintas, so i see no reason to carry more than 1 liter at a time. steripen the next liter when you need it... (or aquamira, pumps are worthless imo, especially in the high uintas)

good stuff here - http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/5159/big-three-backpacking-gear-items/

ibenick
04-12-2011, 06:17 AM
One more tidbit I thought I'd share. On my list I have a hiking bladder and what I call the kitchen sink bladder. I use the MSR Dromlite bags. A 4 liter (usually 1/3-1/2 full while hiking and then a 6 liter around camp. The 4 liter is 4.6 oz and the 6 is 5.7 oz. Super light. I like to carry both for a couple reasons, first so that I have a backup in the event of damage to one (hasn't happened in 7 years of use). And second, because I so passionately hate pumping water. Once I'm to my camp, or close to it, I try hard to find a spring so that I don't have to filter at all. If it's a long walk from camp it's okay because I have a 10-liter capacity and I'll only have to do it once. And if I really have to pump, I'd rather do a lot of it all at once and not have to pump again for as long as possible. Anyway, point is, I dig those dromlite bags.

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/water-treatment-and-hydration/fast-and-light-water-treatment-and-hydration/dromlite-bags/product

Talking gear is helping with my overwhelming urge to go backpacking lately. Or maybe its making it worse. Good stuff. :slobber:

Dr. Nebz
04-12-2011, 07:01 AM
And as my friends always tell me, since I'm so much larger then them I should be obligated to carry more weight. :haha:

Nick can pack in the weight. Dude you can carry some beers for miles that is for sure! :stud:

ibenick
04-12-2011, 07:05 AM
Nick can pack in the weight. Dude you can carry some beers for miles that is for sure! :stud:

Yeah. After that Cuberant trip I packed a bunch of those Steel Reserves all the way into Death Hollow. Worth every ounce! :pitcher:

Dr. Nebz
04-12-2011, 07:07 AM
yes, crazy amounts of weight being carried by folks. however, there is two types of backpackers. those who like to move effortlessly, and camp minimally. and those who like to carry everything they can, and camp in style. i greatly prefer to camp minimally, and move quickly. my base weight is right about 10 pounds, and i carry 2 to 2.5 pounds of food per day. add a few pounds for camera gear, and i'm still below 20 pounds for a 2-3 night adventure in the uintas. water is easy to obtain in the uintas, so i see no reason to carry more than 1 liter at a time. steripen the next liter when you need it... (or aquamira, pumps are worthless imo, especially in the high uintas)

good stuff here - http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/5159/big-three-backpacking-gear-items/

Yeah my friends Collin and Chris make their own shelters, and pack super ultralight. I think Collins bag to Red Castle last season was a hair under 20 lbs on the way in and in the teens on the way out.

I think i sit in the middle between the kitchen sink and ultralight. My pack is usually 20-30 lbs, (before beers if I take any). Most of my gear is light weight. So it is usually food or being silly and packing in a bunch of beer which make my pack swing in the heavy range. Most of the time I just do the whiskey thing, lighter, and a little goes a long way.

Deadeye008
04-12-2011, 07:07 AM
Nice lists, all three of you. Deadeye, do you also put the oatmeal in the freezer bags? I suppose then you just add the hot water to the bags?

I'm going to print off these lists and share them if you're all okay with that.

Yep, I put the oatmeal in the smaller size freezer bags and then just add water to them. One other thing I forgot to put on there concerning freezer bag cooking is a "cozy". There are lots of different kinds but what I found works best and is cheapest is to get a 8.5x11 plastic bubble mailing envelope with paperclips to hold the top flap closed. You just put the freezer bag inside it and it insulates the freezer bag so it rehydrates faster and allows you to handle it without burning your hands.

Dr. Nebz
04-12-2011, 07:09 AM
Yeah. After that Cuberant trip I packed a bunch of those Steel Reserves all the way into Death Hollow. Worth every ounce! :pitcher:

Those Steel Reserves are the way to go. They are tasty and they pack a punch that is for sure. :mrgreen:

Wasatch Rebel
04-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Yep, I put the oatmeal in the smaller size freezer bags and then just add water to them. One other thing I forgot to put on there concerning freezer bag cooking is a "cozy". There are lots of different kinds but what I found works best and is cheapest is to get a 8.5x11 plastic bubble mailing envelope with paperclips to hold the top flap closed. You just put the freezer bag inside it and it insulates the freezer bag so it rehydrates faster and allows you to handle it without burning your hands.

Cozy, huh? That's something I never would've thought of.

ibenick
04-12-2011, 05:47 PM
Cozy, huh? That's something I never would've thought of.

I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't just be easier and not much difference in weight to use a foldable bowl or a cheap plastic measuring cup? I'm a fan of both, especially the folding bowl. Easy to clean, just unfold and lick (especially easy with dogs around).

And if you're eating freeze dried meals the measuring cup can sure come in handy for getting the right amount of water in there.

Scott Card
04-12-2011, 07:24 PM
I am liking this thread. It has been a while since I have backpacked for any length of time or distance. I just got a sweet new backpack and I am itching to go.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/images_products/122_260_xl.jpg

Thanks for all the lists and reminders.

BTW, I usually take a cup that I have marked a line where one cup is or prior to the trip I get the cup I am taking an see how much it holds. If I can't figure it out from there, I got problems. :haha:

CarpeyBiggs
04-12-2011, 08:29 PM
I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't just be easier and not much difference in weight to use a foldable bowl or a cheap plastic measuring cup? I'm a fan of both, especially the folding bowl. Easy to clean, just unfold and lick (especially easy with dogs around).

And if you're eating freeze dried meals the measuring cup can sure come in handy for getting the right amount of water in there.

how hard is it to measure two cups? pretty much every cheap tupperware cup has some form of measuring on it, and they weigh like 1.5 ounces. make a reflectix cozy for it, and it weighs 3 ounces. another .2 ounces for the alcohol stove and the cook kit is complete, less than 5 ounces (plus fuel) tupperware cups can be used over and over, and for anything (oatmeal, dehydrated meals, freezer bags, hot cocoa, pudding, whatever...)

ibenick
04-13-2011, 03:47 AM
how hard is it to measure two cups? pretty much every cheap tupperware cup has some form of measuring on it, and they weigh like 1.5 ounces. make a reflectix cozy for it, and it weighs 3 ounces. another .2 ounces for the alcohol stove and the cook kit is complete, less than 5 ounces (plus fuel) tupperware cups can be used over and over, and for anything (oatmeal, dehydrated meals, freezer bags, hot cocoa, pudding, whatever...)

Did I give the impression that I thought it was hard to measure two cups? My bad, I was just trying to say it's nice to have something with it marked, so yeah a tupperware with a 1 cup mark, pretty much the same thing. Or even marking the inside of a cooking pot. The point of my comment was that any cheap plastic cup seems easier and not much heavier (if at all) than putting a freezer bag full of boiling liquid into a padded envelope held in place by paper clips. Any cheap plastic cup like the folding bowl, measuring cup or the tupperware cup you mentioned would be fine.

ibenick
04-13-2011, 04:42 AM
I'm interested in what everyone is packing for a stove on a trip like this.

Dan, what's your alcohol stove setup like? I had a friend bring one on a trip last year, he hadn't used it before and he ran out of fuel on the second day. It didn't seem very efficient and boil times were ridiculous but he might have been doing it wrong.

What about everyone else?

If the weather isn't too cold in the Uintas I like to use an MSR Pocket Rocket (3 oz excluding fuel) and a some variation of titanium pot. If I'm solo I use a little titanium kettle called the MSR Titan. If I'm cooking for a small group I bring the MSR 2 liter titanium pot. The only issue I've had with this setup in the Uintas was on a night where temps dipped down to the teens. The isobutane doesn't work very well when it gets really cold so I had to continually cup it with my hands. I also have a white gas setup if I think it's going to be freezing but it's not nearly as simple/easy to use.

Here's my stuff:
Pocket Rocket (3 oz plus fuel)

cooking solo:
Titan Kettle (4.2 oz)

and if I'm cooking for a group:
2 liter titanium pot (8 oz)

DOSS
04-13-2011, 04:48 AM
Did I give the impression that I thought it was hard to measure two cups? My bad, I was just trying to say it's nice to have something with it marked, so yeah a tupperware with a 1 cup mark, pretty much the same thing. Or even marking the inside of a cooking pot. The point of my comment was that any cheap plastic cup seems easier and not much heavier (if at all) than putting a freezer bag full of boiling liquid into a padded envelope held in place by paper clips. Any cheap plastic cup like the folding bowl, measuring cup or the tupperware cup you mentioned would be fine.

I think that you are missing the fact that no matter what you have to have some kind of container to bring your food in. So your food is either in a ziplock bag that you pour into your bowl and pour your hot water into that and eat it.. or you skip the bowl and just eat it out of a ziplock bag. Ziplock bag, bowl, pot, cleaning or ziplock bag, pot, cozy done :)

since I have weighed in here is my list - it is modified based on distance and comfort level I would like

Pack
Sleeping bag
pad
hammock
Tarp with stakes cord

First aid kit (all your normal drugs + some scotch or Vodka to help with sleep ;) )
gear repair kit (mostly duct tape wrapped around my trekking pole)
personal care kit (includes 100% deet, TP, Dried baby wipes, and maybe a KFC wipe or 2 and a toothbrush with paste)
Water filter or aqua mura tabs
Hydration pack and 1 wide mouth Nalgine (or a big mouth Gatorade bottle)

Clothes depend on the weather forecast but mostly what I wear in and a outer protection layer
Poncho big enough to cover pack while hiking (often used as my camp tarp depending on forecast again)

Food 99% of the time I take no cook food so I don't have to deal with a stove but If I do I usually take one of my alchy stoves and a uber lightweight pot and my cozy to reheat ziplock food in :) a great place to get tons of good meal ideals for backpacking is here http://www.wildbackpacker.com/

Also for big group trips it is fun to take brownie mix and make brownies for everyone (you actually boil it in an oven bag oddly enough)

Trekking pole(s)
Nav Gear
flashlight and batteries
trowel
entertainment stuff

that is basically it every trip has its own requirements and I try to take as little as possible and have as many things as possible do double duty.
I would suggest in the Uintas even if you are taking a tent to take a tarp that you can set up so that you are not just stuck in your tent when afternoon showers hit :)

DOSS
04-13-2011, 04:55 AM

Dan, what's your alcohol stove setup like? I had a friend bring one on a trip last year, he hadn't used it before and he ran out of fuel on the second day. It didn't seem very efficient and boil times were ridiculous but he might have been doing it wrong.

I have a number of stoves actually.., I love my pocket rocket though :) For the cold with isobutane sleep with your fuel and if you can dig a little bit into the ground and have the fuel tank sitting in a bit of water, this stops it from icing up and failing on cold mornings as the water is usually a bit warmer than the air :)

Alcohol stoves are finnicky and have a learning curve, his failure to learn this before he got on the trail is what caused his problems :) Part of the alcohol stove thing is that you make your own stoves, they are light and in general fun. If you are in a hurry to get your water boiled don't use a alchy stove.. My quickest boil time has been 6 minutes for 2 cups. But you have to have your stove dialed in, use the correct pot (often this is a pot I have made myself too :), the correct wind screen etc.

What I plan to eat on the trip will dictate what I am going to take for a stove, Pocket Rocket, Achy stove, wood burner mini hobo, peak 1 liquid fuel etc :)

ibenick
04-13-2011, 05:23 AM
I think that you are missing the fact that no matter what you have to have some kind of container to bring your food in. So your food is either in a ziplock bag that you pour into your bowl and pour your hot water into that and eat it.. or you skip the bowl and just eat it out of a ziplock bag. Ziplock bag, bowl, pot, cleaning or ziplock bag, pot, cozy done :)

No, I get that concept. I guess it's just where the folks who are really into fast and light and I differ. I'm just picturing this plastic bag in a padded envelope and a bunch of paper clips and pouring hot water into it and it seems like a disaster to me. And you'd have to individually bag all your oats too instead of all in one bag. And what if you have a tiny hole in your bag? I dunno, I'm all about carrying a little extra weight for the simplicity and ease of use. I like to use the lightest option when it makes sense but as you can tell I am far from a superlight backpacker.

DOSS
04-13-2011, 06:12 AM
No, I get that concept. I guess it's just where the folks who are really into fast and light and I differ. I'm just picturing this plastic bag in a padded envelope and a bunch of paper clips and pouring hot water into it and it seems like a disaster to me. And you'd have to individually bag all your oats too instead of all in one bag. And what if you have a tiny hole in your bag? I dunno, I'm all about carrying a little extra weight for the simplicity and ease of use. I like to use the lightest option when it makes sense but as you can tell I am far from a superlight backpacker.

Don't get stuck on the padded envelope there are better and less cumbersome ways to do it :lol8: . I also thought that the use of freezer bags would make things more difficult but after going out with someone who was comfortable with the concept and saw the simplicity all of the yummy stuff they were eating while I was stuck with the same stuff every day and they were lighter weight I saw the light.

In the end I think everyone has to find what works for them, I am not as oz conscious as it may seem ;) I pack a little different for almost every trip.. guess it is part of the fun for me

CarpeyBiggs
04-13-2011, 06:19 AM
something like this, if it's windy i use the caldera. pocket rockets are good too, the biggest problem is the fuel canister, but for 3 nights it's only a couple ounce difference. the alcohol stove was very worthwhile for thru hiking though, because canisters are hard to find, alcohol is universal.

http://www.antigravitygear.com/caldera-kitchen-for-the-agg-3-cup-pot.html

spinesnaper
04-13-2011, 07:23 AM
I have ditched my pocket rocket (3.3 oz) and now carry a titanium snow peak stove that weighs 1.9 oz. I plan my meals for just boiling water and use a 3.4 oz Evernew titanium pot that holds 21 oz of water. Utensils is a sea to snow aluminum spork (0.6 oz) and for cups I have a cheap but light green plastic cup marked in cups and ounces up to 8 ounces for "precision" water measuring. It weighs 1.0 oz and my other cup that stays warmer longer for morning coffee is a nameless plastic uninsulated mug that weight 1.5 oz and nests with the other mug. The Evernew pot has a top and silicone coated foldable handles and holds the small snow peak gas cannister (about 1.1 hours of burn time) and the stove. Sadly all my other gear is equally geeky and light. Who says you can't be light and comfortable?

My snake bite and advance first aid kit is my 5.3 ounce McMurdo PLB with GPS.

Gear whore. I know.:facepalm:

Well at least it's a hobby that doesn't give you an incurable case of clap.:haha:

mr. incognito
04-14-2011, 09:02 AM
Wow. Thanks Mr. Incognito. Getting rid of the bite kit! I had a couple of incidents years ago where I ended up with rattlers literally between my legs on two separate occasions, hence why I picked up the kit. One of which was literally on the top ridge line of the Wellsville mountains at about 8600 feet. Fortunately, neither incident ended up in a bite.
Do you know anything about the rattle snake vaccine shots that vets give to dogs? From what I was told it gives them a bit of an immunity that really just gives you more time to get the dog into the vet for treatment. I've been getting all three of my dogs the shot annually. Wondering if that might be a waste too?

Exactly my point you had a couple close calls and were not bitten. that is almost always the story, the danger is drastically overblown.
I have seen rock climbers and hikers literally on top of rattlesnakes or actually step over them and they had no idea the animal was there until I pointed it out to them. At campgrounds in a National Monument where I work seasonally with the rangers during biological surveys, they monitor the locations of dozens of snakes just off trail and have to quietly move a few that venture into high use areas from time to time. If the general ignorant population got wind of this a panic would ensue. Campground is always full of both visitors and snakes with no problems to report. Unfortunately last year a couple campers were prosecuted for destroying two snakes on federally protected lands that they perceived as dangerous (more likely they noticed the animals and dragged them out of their habitat and killed them) "It was coming right at me!!" um, no. I myself had a literal face to face unexpected encounter that spanned no more than 5 inches from the end of my nose. Danger is minimal unless you make physical contact with the snake or get the rare bellicose individual snake.

Many snakes will "dry bite" during a defensive bite where little or no venom is actually injected. They can strike approximately half their body length, a little more on a down hill slope, so for snakes averaging 2-4 feet in length even 3 feet is a relatively safe distance. Look before you place hands and feet, inspect before you sit down, and eyeball anything before you pick it back up and you should always be fine. I have been at hibernaculums with dozens of snakes in less than 20 feet (on a cliff ledge no less) and have quietly picked my way through them. They are defensive creatures. Collecting firewood/moving rocks and placing hands where you can't see, or rock climbers suddenly grabbing at high ledges are the only realistic scenarios for an accidental bite.

I am not sure what they put in veterinarian dog rattlesnake vaccines but if it is even the most minute part of actual snake venom, yes they will build up antibodies, but they could become sensitized to the venom or the serum solution used and build antibodies to it just as easily. Horses, goats,and sheep have all been used to produce antivenins for human envenomation. Horse serums are no longer used because people were having a more severe reaction to the serum than the bite in the first place. The venom specialists of the world are split on the potential benefits of immunization to venom in general. Vet medications don't go through the same rigorous testing standards as human drugs, who knows what is in there. a vial of CROFAB antivenin for humans goes for about 2,000 dollars and you will need several in the case of a bite. I can't imagine how a less than say 50 dollar shot (I don't know I am not a dog owner) can be high quality worthwhile well researched medication or they would have the stuff for people who work with snakes by now, right?

I suppose it could provide a slight resistance to a bite like the vets claim and reduce the severity of reaction to a bite. Sounds logical. Even some people have tried it both with injections and allowing bites (!!:eek2:!!) with mixed results. Even these extreme measures will not make anyone or anything rattlesnake immune. It seems like wearing a bullet proof vest to bed in case of a shooting drive-by to me. Unless you are in constant contact with snakes why bother? A responsible dog owner should be able to get a wayward dog away from a random snake encounter before it is bitten and if it should happen the dog will probably survive it anyways.
We do adverse dog training with rattlesnakes where the dog is shock collared and has the ability to hear and see a snake in a ventilated double layered enclosure, every time he goes to smell, zap. They learn quickly that snake smell/sound is no bueno.
I will confer with my colleagues about vet dog anti-snake vaccines and report a better answer as to the validity and value of dog snake venom inoculations if I get a chance.

mr. incognito
04-14-2011, 09:32 AM

I am not telling you what stove I use because I actually saw it in the "antiques" display of older stoves at Kirkam's the other day.:roflol: But REI still sells the fuel canisters so I don't see the point in replacing it because it works fine. Actually it out-performs some "Latest and Greatest" stoves that my friends have bought as far as cooking time and heat output much to their chagrin. Changing the canister is a pucker moment though, because it is not threaded rather a puncture and rubber seal thingy so I throw it like a grenade in case there is still fuel inside. If it ever leaked while in use it is a bomb.:scared:

mr. incognito
04-14-2011, 09:34 AM
little cans of sterno make good emergency heat sources and emergency cooking sources too.

blueeyes
04-14-2011, 10:53 AM
This is a great thread! I am still working up the nerve to do my first backpack trip with my son. Still collecting necessary items. Love all the information here. :2thumbs:

accadacca
04-14-2011, 06:41 PM
I am liking this thread. It has been a while since I have backpacked for any length of time or distance. I just got a sweet new backpack and I am itching to go.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/images_products/122_260_xl.jpg

Nice! I was eyeballing those packs at Kirkhams the other day. It will probably be my next pack. :2thumbs:

My tip: I use a little twine to tie a couple milk jugs to my pack by their handles. They work great around camp for mixing gatoraid, koolaid, etc. They are also very easy to pump water into and I usually keep one full of H20 to have on hand.

blueeyes
04-14-2011, 10:26 PM

After reading this site I AM going backpacking

On the long trails backpackers can be seen adding olive oil to everything but their drinking water, in an effort to get more precious calories and stem the weight loss which occurs from burning 6,000+ calories per day.

And he has a great home made pot cozy!

DOSS
04-15-2011, 05:56 AM
After reading this site I AM going backpacking
And he has a great home made pot cozy!

if you like ultralight and don't want to buy dudes book check out Practicalbackpacking.com Great resource for all things backpacking.. recipes, DIY gear, etc

blueeyes
04-15-2011, 06:15 AM
Thanks Doss!

gnwatts
04-15-2011, 04:51 PM
I love my Jet Boil stove. It boils water quick. Last winter I warmed up the canister in my sleeping bag before I got up. It took a little while longer to get up to speed, but worked acceptably well. The french press accessory for coffee is nice. My backpack is a Arcteyx Naos 55, which is water proof. Very comfortable, the pack pivots on the hip belt, which I like on tight steep descents. It is bomber, it has taken a beating and still looks great. When I use a tent it is an old Garuda 1 person single wall. It weighs 3 pounds and is surprisingly large, even has a vestibule that my pack fits in, and it is very skinny, which is handy.

Deadeye008
04-17-2011, 06:01 PM

I use an east German mess kit and it has marks for 2, 4, and 6 cups in it.

Looks like this.

Inside the kit I have my stove, wind screen, measuring spoon, utensils, and fuel bottle. It can also be used over/in a campfire as well.

As far as alcohol stoves go I use one similar to the "cat stove" but I used a Vienna sausage can so that it can hold more fuel. Google "cat stove" and you'll be able to find instructions on how to build one. They are dirt cheap to make (30 cents) and weigh almost nothing. For fuel I buy the "HEET" in the yellow bottles. You can get it at any gas station or Walmart for about $1.50 for. 12 oz. My stove will boil 2 cups of water in 6 mins. I've used it at over 10K ft in below freezing temps and never had a problem with it. I agree with what was said before about knowing how to use one before you go out. I always make practice runs at home with new recipes and whatnot just so I know what to expect.

As far as using a foldable bowl or tupperware instead of ziplock bags and a bubble cozy. I don't think the foldable bowl would hold the heat in so it would take a lot longer to rehydrate the meal. If you could rig up a cozy for a tupperware bowl that would work but a tupperware bowl is a lot more bulky than a ziplock bag. I love using ziplock bags because the take up almost no space and are basically weightless. Just personal preference I guess

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk

Scott Card
04-18-2011, 11:49 AM
I use the manual Snowpeak Giga Power stove. I really like it. I guess in today's world it is older but still working without a problem. It seems fast enough and I have never had a problem with it. I have only used it in fair temps (25 degrees and above) and not at high altitudes (desert camping only so far). I hope to use it in the Uintas this summer. I have a titanimum cup that holds my canister of fuel, the stove and a small hand towel. Small, light and easy to use. Perfect for me.

I do have my eye on a Jetboil however. How is the Jetboil? It seems to have a lot of parts? Is it fussy to deal with?

Dr. Nebz
04-18-2011, 02:05 PM
I do have my eye on a Jetboil however. How is the Jetboil? It seems to have a lot of parts? Is it fussy to deal with?

I used to have a Jetboil. Just seemed too much to try to deal with. It worked just fine, and my buddy brings his all the time. I just have a lighter primus stove I use with Snowpeak fuel and my mess kit from Snowpeak.

Here is my stove:

And here is my mess kit:

My mess kit weighs 7.9 oz and my stove weighs 2.9 oz. And I use the Gigapower 110 gold fuel which weighs 6.4 oz. 17 oz pretty much for my entire cook set stove and fuel. I have a Snowpeak Titanium Coffee Cup I bring too, it weighs 3.2 oz. So, 20 oz for everything I need to cook with. Not too bad.

uintahiker
04-18-2011, 02:36 PM
It's interesting to see the number of canister stoves & homemade alcohol stoves on the list.

I've got a MSR Whisperlite that's been great for me.

The one huge downside to the canister stoves to me is the canisters. It's just too hard to tell how much fuel is left in them.

Scott Card
04-18-2011, 02:40 PM
The one huge downside to the canister stoves to me is the canisters. It's just too hard to tell how much fuel is left in them. Hence the reason I always have a spare. They have those little stickers you put on the canister that are supposed to tell you how much fuel you have left in a canister but I have never used them. I am not sure how reliable they are.

ibenick
04-18-2011, 02:40 PM
It's interesting to see the number of canister stoves & homemade alcohol stoves on the list.

I've got a MSR Whisperlite that's been great for me.

The one huge downside to the canister stoves to me is the canisters. It's just too hard to tell how much fuel is left in them.

I'm with you on all of that. Sometimes, instead of my MSR Pocket Rocket I like to use my MSR Simmerlite. It's really nice to be able to control exactly how much fuel to bring. I always end up with like 5 partial isobutane canisters kicking around the house because I don't want to bring a partial or an extra canister. It can be nice to have that white gas accessible for other purposes too. Like much of my gear I go in phases using one thing or the other. Don't get me started on sleeping pads. :roll:

uintahiker
04-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Hence the reason I always have a spare.

That's the reason I go with the whisperlite- yeah it's a little heavier, but it's super reliable and takes up less space than a micro-stove and 2 canisters. It's also easier for me when cooking to balance just the stove then it is to balance the stove-canister combination.

gnwatts
04-18-2011, 03:35 PM
My Jetboil has been used over 100 days, 2 times a day, and has never let me down. Winter, summer, wind (a little slower boiling times), works every time. No maintenance, clogged lines or hassles because of sand. Integral coffee press, and i have the attachment so i can use a pan. It has a 2 cup mark!

Dr. Nebz
04-18-2011, 04:36 PM
Hence the reason I always have a spare. They have those little stickers you put on the canister that are supposed to tell you how much fuel you have left in a canister but I have never used them. I am not sure how reliable they are.

The Gigapower Gold 110 that I used last summer did about 6 trips and it still seemed to be impossible to kill it off. I finally used the last of the can I bought in July @ Duck Lake in October. I have used other canister fuels, but they seem to go very fast compared to the Snowpeak. I buy nothing but now, seems to be the most efficient canister fuel you can buy.

DOSS
04-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Hence the reason I always have a spare. They have those little stickers you put on the canister that are supposed to tell you how much fuel you have left in a canister but I have never used them. I am not sure how reliable they are.

When I used my whisperlite religiously I had a it down to a science as to how much each oz of fuel in that little canister would do.. It was all based off of the weight of the stove and 10k feet so that when I had a partial can I would just write on it how many more 1 cup boil times were left in the canister :crazy:
yet another use for that math class I always said I would find no use for :)

Tango
04-18-2011, 07:30 PM
For all the people that use a separate cozy for freezer bag cooking. If you have a beanie just use that, or wrap it up in fleece or what ever I don't carry a separate cozy.

My Pocket Rocket is over a decade old and has never let me down! Even in Alaska!

zzyzx
06-01-2011, 01:29 PM
This thread is great! :2thumbs:
Lots of good information here and special thanks to Mr. Incognito.

I use an east German mess kit and it has marks for 2, 4, and 6 cups in it.:cool2:

This army kit were 18 month long my 'friend' in the field. During my time in this army - 30 years ago.

Need a little help about snake bite injury.

How many mg of Aspirin are to take?
Were to buy are EPI-pen and Benadryl?
In every drugstore, Walmart too?

THX for help.

DOSS
06-01-2011, 06:52 PM
This thread is great! :2thumbs:
Lots of good information here and special thanks to Mr. Incognito.

This army kit were 18 month long my 'friend' in the field. During my time in this army - 30 years ago.

Need a little help about snake bite injury.

How many mg of Aspirin are to take?
Were to buy are EPI-pen and Benadryl?
In every drugstore, Walmart too?

THX for help.

Snake bite injury.. just don't get bit.. if you do get medical attention ;)

Eppi pens are by prescription only in the US.. so you would need to script for it. Benadryl can be found at almost any pharmacy/ drugstore (yes walmart)... I would suggest getting children's Benadryl in the liquid form as it is faster acting than the normal pills you get.

bigred72
06-01-2011, 09:30 PM
My Jetboil has been used over 100 days, 2 times a day, and has never let me down. Winter, summer, wind (a little slower boiling times), works every time. No maintenance, clogged lines or hassles because of sand. Integral coffee press, and i have the attachment so i can use a pan. It has a 2 cup mark!

+1 for the jetboil and freezer bag cooking. Literally no mess to clean up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Udink
06-01-2011, 10:11 PM
If I'm backpacking: Bacardi 151. :cool2:

spinesnaper
06-05-2011, 09:50 PM

Sweet. Why carry all that extra water.:lol8:

Dr. Nebz
06-06-2011, 10:41 AM

151 = Tornado! :lol8:

RedRoxx
06-28-2011, 05:23 AM
The Uintahs are on my plan for end of july. I usually take a tent ( about 2.3lbs) bug dope, headnet, Osprey pack or Six Moons pack, WM summerlite bag, Neo air pad, titanium pot I've had for years, dehydrated food, snacks, 1-2 litres of water in bladder, spare empty bladder to carry water to camp, plastic cup, Rain pants and poncho ( covers pack and has ties to either use as a tarp or secure bottom so it doesn't flap around in the wind) lightweight thermals, camp shoes --five fingers this year, fleece hat, regular sun hat (wearing that one) spare socks, don't laugh including neoprene---great when crossing those cold streams and in swampy areas when your feet are constantly wet. Aqua Mira or tablets, bandana--and or camp towel ( nice to wipe up condensation if you are stuck in tent in rain). Trekking poles ( i'm a klutz). Oh, and sunscreen too, and a white lightweight shirt--you can roast out there if the sun is out strongly. Almost forgot the stove and small canister--it's some generic little thing weighs about 3 oz. Using it for years too. And camera--- usually two--Olympus with the 7-14mm attached and probably a sony zoom for tele and flower macro.

On my desert hikes I usually take a bivy or just the tarp.

dmMatrix
06-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Wow, I have learned a lot about backpacking today. I read almost every single post in here. I didn't go back to find and quote the post but someone said that some like to pack heavy and camp with style! That seems to be me (sometimes). I don't want to spend the money on all the gear so I end up improvising. My pack ends up around 35 - 40 pounds.

This year we will be packing in my son (weighed 31 pounds a couple weeks ago). So, one pack with most of the gear and food for 2 people. And the other pack with my son and all of his food and diapers and all the associated weight.

Does anyone have any advice for an 18 month olds gear???? Although our first hike with him will only be around a 7 mile, 2 day hike.... unless we are feeling brave and shoot for something more remote.