PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report 50 Mile Canyon to Davis Canyon Escalante

Writeabove
04-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Despite the gusty wind & threat of rain, husband, dog & I persevered to meet our friends in 50 Mile Canyon early Sunday morning. They had camped in the alcove near a large cliff-wall arch, "Kathy's Arch," with petroglyphs panels directly under the span. This particular arch (familiar landmark) saved us from wandering around on the sand dune ridges for days when we returned from Davis Canyon the next day.
Our mission was to climb up & over the ridges and hike overland to find Bement Arch in Davis Canyon. After a 2-hour trek over sand dunes & slickrock, we (party of four + dog) found "the" stained wall & followed the cairn-marked stock trail and faint thin path that descended into Davis Canyon. Bush-wacked through reeds and other dusty downed foliage, we dropped into a marshy stream. 2 miles up we caught sight of Bement Arch which is massive and set in an immense alcove, like the alcove by Jacob-Hamlin Arch in Coyote Canyon.
It took us 8 hours of trekking from 50 Mile Canyon to Davis Canyon & back to our campsite. This was a worth-while pilgrimage.

ibenick
04-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Awesome. I've had these two canyons high on my to-do list for quite sometime. So you car camped somewhere and day hiked both of them?

accadacca
04-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Wow! Excellent pix. Got any more? :popcorn:

Writeabove
04-11-2011, 03:58 AM
We live in Escalante & backpacked to our friends in 50 mile early Sunday. They broke camp (they were glad to see us - they forgot their fire power) and we all made camp closer to the big sandy hill we climbed up and hiked overland to Davis & back.

Writeabove
04-11-2011, 03:59 AM
Yes, would you like more of Davis Canyon or 50 mile Canyon or of the dog?

lofty
04-16-2011, 07:26 AM
What a nice arch !