PDA

View Full Version : Mtn Biking in GSENM

peakbaggers
04-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Looking for definitive information and/or policy regarding mtn bking in the Grand Staircase Escalante NM. All I could find on their website was:
"All vehicles and bikes must stay on roads."
"Mountain biking routes have not been established ."
"Mountain biking not allowed on backcountry hiking routes."
We're mostly interested in the area around Bigwater. Specifically, road 431 which apparently has been closed to motor vehicles (or the section of it that turns east and provides a shortcut to Wahweap Hoodoos). Can mtn bikes still proceed on a road that's closed to motor vehicle traffic? There are several scenic areas in there that we'd like to visit & photograph and if we can't drive in, we could still cover a lot of ground on mtn bikes faster than hiking at least on the existing roads still there.

REDFOX
04-06-2011, 09:19 PM
I think that the nearest place to Escalante to ride is going to be the Brianhead area in the summer. Unless you want to pedal a road bike.

theking648
04-06-2011, 10:33 PM
too me that looks like a no.

I would do it anyways, and I would play dumb by pulling out the "O really I didn't know that" or the "I didn't see that sign" card. it's not like they'll give you a ticket and have you and your bike transported out of there by a helicopter :lol8:

so if "no one sees you doing it, then it didn't happen.":roflol: