PDA

View Full Version : Help with my trip to Zion NP

Yama
03-29-2011, 09:26 AM
New to the forums, and I'm glad I've found this place because it seems the most comprehensive for the area I'll be hiking! I greatly appreciate any help in advance.

I will be heading to Zion from May 29th through June 2nd this year for a backcountry trip and want to be as prepared as possible. Since most of my backpacking has been confined to Appalachia and the NW, I am trekking in new terrain and climate so I want to be sure my bases are covered.

My first few questions concern the park itself and the best way to plan a backpacking trip for it. I plan to have 4.5 days and 4 nights of backcountry time in Zion. This is flexible of course, but this is my initial plan. What is the best way to string together some of the smaller hikes that I have found available in this park? I will have a couple of experienced hikers and couple of inexperienced hikers, so I'm looking to take it easy on the latter. Think 7 miles a day. From what I understand the permits are available only at the park the day before I set out. Is this correct? How about overnight camping the night before I hit the trail? Is camping available at the park? Where is best, and should I attempt to reserve a camp site? We will have only one car for out group, unfortunately. How accessible is the park by shuttles? Will I be able to hop a shuttle back to our car on our last day? Which trail head would be best to leave the car at to make this possible?

My next questions involve the climate and terrain. How available is water in the backcountry? My backpacking experience hasn't required me to carry more than a L of water, is this not realistic for Zion in late spring? Are campsites going to be available by a water source each night? I'd hate to have to pack water, but if its necessary its better I know now! Finally what about the climate. With semi-arid weather in late spring I have began planning for low lows overnight and warm days. Should I pack the down jacket for in camp or will layering be fine? What about gaiters and typical rain gear?

Sorry for the flood of questions, I know there are many. People typically pay for the type of information I am asking and I would love to make a donation to this site if I can get some helpful information!

PS I almost forgot about a MAP! Any recommendations for obtaining a good backcountry map?

Thanks again folks

tanya
03-29-2011, 09:45 AM
Is this Jacquelyn?

Welcome to the group!

Yama
03-29-2011, 09:49 AM
Nope, not Jacquelyn - I prefer Phil :haha:

jman
03-29-2011, 09:50 AM
Well I typically charge $5 sentence, but maybe I'll do it free this time.

First of all, what destinations do you have in mind? Such as all 4 days along the West Rim Trail. Or do you have some form of linear progression , say, start on west rim, then hike to angels landing, emerald pools, then hike out east rim, etc. Exploring side canyons?

Spring should be okay with the usual backcountry water sources, but again depends on your destination(s).

There's a lot more we can tell ya, but that should be a start for now.

Btw, welcome, and you will need to post a TR here when you complete it!

Yama
03-29-2011, 10:11 AM
jman,

A linear progression was exactly what I had in mind. The only hike I wanted to be sure was fit into my trip was the West Rim Trail. I was hoping to use the West Rim as the foundation of my backcountry trip, and string on another 15-20 miles to it with other trails before or after it. Do you recommend leaving a day to explore Angel's Landing and the Emerald Pools between the West and East Rim? Would something like 2 days and 1 night doing the West Rim, a day to hike Angel's Landing and see the Emerald Pools and then my final day and a half to do the East Rim make sense? Is Wildcat Canyon worth attaching to the West Rim? I'm looking for any advice and suggestions here.

And I promise a detailed TR when I return! I have a couple days at the Grand Canyon and a night in Vegas at the tail end of this trip, so I'll include some pics from the Grand Canyon and I'll leave out the night in Vegas :haha:

tanya
03-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Oh.. welcome Phil. She has just emailed me for backpacking info in Zion yesterday and I suggested she join here and ask too.

mojavesam
04-09-2011, 06:07 AM
It may not be possible to string together the more interesting spots into one continuous hike. A lot of the cooler spots are reached by day hikes. If you have not been to Zions before, my advice would be to spend a couple of days doing day hikes on the more touristy (and spectacular) routes, and then spend a 2-3 days in the backcountry. I did a longer hike in the backcountry about 20 years ago, and it was just typical desert high country. Fun, but not a lot of "wow" moments (unless you really love juniper trees).

You can get reservations through a lottery, advanced reservations or permits obtained the day of or the day prior to the outing. Google "Zions Permits." Don't wait; get this taken care of right away. Be prepared with alternate plans in case the weather makes a more challenging route unavailable or dangerous.

There are 3 campgrounds in the Park. Or camp on BLM land.

There is a shuttle system in the main canyon but it is not intended to help through-hikers really; its purpose is to keep cars out of the Park during the peak season.

My experience with water is that you have to plan your water sources in advance. Make calls to the rangers if necessary to make sure there is going to be water at the sources you plan on, and then carry enough water for one of those sources to be dry. I usually carry about a gallon of water backpacking in places like Zion, where water is available but not ubiquitous. Depending on your route and the temps, you may need more.

I wouldn't miss Angel's Landing or the Subway if you can help it.

Yama
04-12-2011, 07:24 AM
Sam,

Really appreciate the information. I looked into the backcountry permit information on the Zion nps site, and I noticed that they do not have any advanced reservation left (apparently I missed the date??) for the West Rim or walk-in permits listed for the weekend of Memorial Day (my planned weekend). Do they not allow walk-up permits during this time?? I'm a little confused here and definitely worried... Any ideas?

I have my heart set on at least hitting the West Rim and doing Angel's Landing, and possibly adding the East Rim and checking out the Emerald Pools. I don't think I have the technical canyon experience required for the Subway, unfortunately.

I am keeping some backup backcountry in mind in case Zion doesn't work out. But I just can't figure out the permit system for Zion on Memorial Day weekend. I am going to use Bryce Canyon as a backup. From what I have seen they don't accept any advance reservation, just walk up. So I figured this would be a good backup. Any other backup backpacking you all would recommend?

So any additional help with Zion for Memorial Day walk-in permits and possible backups in the area is what I'm looking for.

Thanks again everyone, starting to stress a little as the trip is starting to creep up on me and as the primary planner of this one I don't want to let my mates down!

EDIT: Is there a contact at the park that you guys have found useful that I should email or call?