PDA

View Full Version : Invite Bogley Fest - Oct 13-16 (Robbers Roost Area)

Wasatch
03-27-2011, 11:52 AM
The Plan Thus Far:
When: October 13-16, 2011
Where: Robbers Roost, Utah (Granary Spring)
Other Info: I need volunteers to help lead some canyons, we cannot all go to one canyon. We will have a sign-up for the canyons we plan to do, you can then sign-up for which one(s) you would like to do. NO FEES! You will really not need community gear, such as rope, webbing, rapides, but if you want to bring it along fine, but you should have all personnel gear. All meals are on your own.

Who:
wasatchghost (maybe)
tylerhirshfled
Bshelton +1
EvergreenDean +2
ddavis +1
hikster11
New Mexico
kokopelli99
remoteman45 +3
fresh_narwhal
blueshade
JT Local +1

Leaders/Co-Leaders
Wasatch
Scott P
EvergreenDean
Bshelton

Scott P - EF BlueJohn, Buck, Sam Mesa Box, New Canyon (Goblin Valley)
Wasatch - WF White Roost, Not Mindbender, Lost Park
EvergreenDean - Larry, Alcatraz, High Spur, Blue John, Mind Bender, Chambers
Bshelton - Blue John, NF Robbers Roost

Important Notes:

PLEASE DO NOT USE THE CALENDER TO RSVP, AS I WILL NOT BE LOOKING AT IT

There are a couple more people that said they would be willing to take some people thru some canyons that have not responded yet. I NEED AT LEAST 2 MORE PERSON'S TO COME FORWARD AND LEAD SOME CANYONS

THIS WILL NOT BE A POTLUCK STYLE MEAL ANYMORE, ALL MEALS ARE ON YOUR OWN

I need 2-3 more people to bring some firewood. So far: (hikster11, New Mexico, Bshelton, EvergreenDean) We should be good for heat now.

There seems to be alot of people coming to this fest now. I cannot guarantee everyone will be able to do canyons if not enough people will be willing to take other's thru, just saying. Don't blame me.

jman
03-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Maybe we can get this posted as a sticky.
Good idea....wish granted.

Rob L
03-31-2011, 05:21 AM
Sounds good to me! The November dates would suit me better, as the flights are cheaper by quite a margin.

Rob

Wasatch
03-31-2011, 06:26 PM
Sounds good to me! The November dates would suit me better, as the flights are cheaper by quite a margin.

Rob

Cool. The Nov trip does have more days to enjoy the canyons. lol

IntrepidXJ
03-31-2011, 06:35 PM
Will this trip be newbie friendly? Thinking I might like to try this stuff out sometime.....

Wasatch
03-31-2011, 08:17 PM
I think it will be. If we can get enough people that know the area(s) we should be able to split up the groups accordingly. Meaning if we can get enough leaders for the different groups, I see no problem doing more friendly newbie canyons, there are quite a few of them around.

ststephen
03-31-2011, 09:01 PM
I'm putting this in my long-range radar too. I did a fall trip flying out to SLC (just me, no wife and kid) to hook up with Don and his gang last fall and I think I can swing a similar thing again this year.

Wasatch
04-01-2011, 01:11 PM
I'm putting this in my long-range radar too. I did a fall trip flying out to SLC (just me, no wife and kid) to hook up with Don and his gang last fall and I think I can swing a similar thing again this year.

Hope to see ya there.

p40whk
04-01-2011, 05:57 PM
I may not be able to make the June fest so I'm keeping ny eye on this thread In hopes that I'll have a second option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob L
04-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Good idea....wish granted.

The glue seems to not stick well :naughty:

Wasatch
04-02-2011, 12:53 PM
The glue seems to not stick well :naughty:

It was there for a day, but someone took it down. :cry1:

Don
04-03-2011, 03:28 PM
It was there for a day, but someone took it down. :cry1:

Moderator voice: That was me. Some whiny bitches (You know who you are. :haha:) were complaining about the number of sticky threads growing to the level of annoying. Actually, it's not a bad point; if a thread is strong it will survive, if not use the search feature.
Of course it is within the power of anyone actually interested in a particular thread to keep in on the front page; just keep using it. :cool2:

CarpeyBiggs
04-03-2011, 08:00 PM
i'll put this on my radar too. be an excellent time to have a north wash fest. definitely a nice intro to canyons if people want to check something out.

i'll show, but i expect don and ststephen to show too... :lol8:

blueeyes
04-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Odd because every other Bogley Fest with the exception of this last fest in St. George was put as a sticky until it was over with and then it reverted back. Really people too many stickies??? :roll: Just bump it everyday Wasatch.. the benefit will be increased post counts. j/k:lol8: but it will keep it near the top.

So I just had a thought. Instead of the "Bogley Unplugged" section that seems to get very little use... how about converting that to "Bogley Fests" all events to be planned go in one place and afterward get moved to the appropriate section?? Just a thought. And I would suggest moving it to the "Main" arena so it is more visible.

By the way whatever happened to the calendar project.

jman
04-03-2011, 09:00 PM
By the way whatever happened to the calendar project.

I asked a month or maybe two months ago, and no replies yet. But clearly you understand how beneficial one would be in regards to these Meetups.

ststephen
04-03-2011, 09:07 PM
i'll put this on my radar too. be an excellent time to have a north wash fest. definitely a nice intro to canyons if people want to check something out.

i'll show, but i expect don and ststephen to show too... :lol8:

The gauntlet has been thrown! It does sound like a good plan. Nov not too late for North Wash?

Wasatch
04-04-2011, 04:38 AM
Nov is a pretty good time for that area. Days will be shorter though.

ststephen
04-04-2011, 05:17 AM
Totally forgot. Nov 6 is the NY Marathon. It's taken 4 years of lotteries to sync up Robin and I do that, so that date won't work for me. If you guys stick with Nov I might try for something else in Sept/Oct.

Wasatch
04-04-2011, 03:39 PM
I would not mind going down on both dates, really. Especially if we can get enough people.

jman
04-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Added the event to the New "Calendar" feature, in the red navigation bar at the top. Check it out! BTW, tell me if anyone is able to edit it? If not, give me the details and I'll fill in the rest.

Wasatch
04-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Seems to be working ok, thanks.

moab mark
04-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Will this trip be newbie friendly? Thinking I might like to try this stuff out sometime.....
Randy is going to step over the edge. :2thumbs:As one of my buddies said the first time he went "why am I walking backwards off a perfiectly good rock into the abyss" Later he said "this hiking with ropes is alot more fun then just hiking" You better not go, you might have a new sport.

Mark

ststephen
04-09-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm back online from Cedar Mesa (TR's later!). I should be good for the October dates but not the November ones. What about Escalante area for October? Or maybe the Roost?

Wasatch
04-09-2011, 05:47 PM
I'm back online from Cedar Mesa (TR's later!). I should be good for the October dates but not the November ones. What about Escalante area for October? Or maybe the Roost?

Either the Roost or North Wash for now.

Rob L
05-12-2011, 08:27 AM
Bump.

Any more thoughts on a fall Fest?

Wasatch
05-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Bump.

Any more thoughts on a fall Fest?

Like what. I'm still planning on those dates.

ststephen
05-12-2011, 05:28 PM
I'm planning on October too. When my wife caught wind that I was planning it she took that as permission for her to book her own separate trip to Utah for the StG Marathon, so I darn well better do this one now!

Wasatch
05-12-2011, 05:47 PM
I'm planning on October too. When my wife caught wind that I was planning it she took that as permission for her to book her own separate trip to Utah for the StG Marathon, so I darn well better do this one now!

Hope to see ya there.

New Mexico
05-13-2011, 07:38 AM
Count me in for both.

Wasatch
05-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Count me in for both.

Gotcha covered.

Scopulus
05-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Love to do both too.

Wasatch
05-16-2011, 10:36 PM
Love to do both too.

Cool

ddavis
05-17-2011, 04:03 AM
I'm interested in the Nov one.

Wasatch
07-11-2011, 07:46 AM
Just bringing this thread to the top, so it won't be forgotten and easier to find.

rockgremlin
07-11-2011, 11:04 AM
OCT IS MO' BETTA in my opinion. Once you hit November the snow starts to fly down here. And with the exceptionally cool year we've been having who knows what November could look like?

agostinone
07-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Thanks for refreshing this. I saw it when it first popped up but I'm too ADD to plan that far ahead but this is more in my capture range now.

Regarding the November trip, we did some backpacking along the Dirty Devil, some North Wash Canyons, Horse Shoe Canyon and some mountain biking in Fruita last November (2--7) and the weather was great and there was no one around. Only down side was less daylight.

I'll be heading out from Monument Colorado (South of Denver) if anyone wants to share a ride let me know.

optikal
07-20-2011, 12:22 PM
ooh! This looks great, I should be there. I was down in Zion the weekend prior to the summer fest and wasn't able to make it.

optikal
07-30-2011, 01:37 PM
So it looks like the dates for this, per the Bogley Calendar, are October 13th-16th... is that correct? Is that in stone or likely to change?

2065toyota
07-30-2011, 01:47 PM
few of us from st george are will be wanting to come

Wasatch
07-30-2011, 02:51 PM
So it looks like the dates for this, per the Bogley Calendar, are October 13th-16th... is that correct? Is that in stone or likely to change?

Yup 13-16 Oct and 9-13 Nov, weather permitting, I will be at both.

Wasatch
07-30-2011, 02:51 PM
few of us from st george are will be wanting to come

Cool

Aarjonet
08-15-2011, 09:16 PM
I'm new to this site and sport. I'm very interested in joining this event. Is this a sign up type of thing or does everybody just show up?

Wasatch
08-16-2011, 04:29 AM
Kinda of a sign-up.

rockgremlin
08-16-2011, 07:04 AM
So are we agreed on a date and a place then? If so could we possibly include that info in the thread title so that folks know what exactly what they're signing up for?

I'd like to be in on this one...it's been a while...

hike.higher
08-16-2011, 10:23 AM
I am pretty much a total newb. Did pine creek a couple years ago and loved it and want to get more into it. I'm taking the canyoneering class at the U this fall. I have most of the equipment or could get it by then, but would love to come and learn.

What is the formal sign-up process, fees, etc? I'm happy to carry your ropes and learn.

Thanks.

wasatchghost
08-16-2011, 02:14 PM
80% chance I will be coming

Wasatch
08-16-2011, 04:10 PM
I am pretty much a total newb. Did pine creek a couple years ago and loved it and want to get more into it. I'm taking the canyoneering class at the U this fall. I have most of the equipment or could get it by then, but would love to come and learn.

What is the formal sign-up process, fees, etc? I'm happy to carry your ropes and learn.

Thanks.

When the time gets closer, I will ask for volunteers to lead some canyons, we cannot all go to one canyon. When I get that list, we will have a sign-up for the canyons we plan to do. NO FEES! You will really not need community gear, such as rope, webbing, rapides, but if you want to bring it along fine, but you should have all personnel gear. I would like to have pot luck style dinners, breakfast and lunch (in the canyon) are on your own. We will need people to bring grills/stoves to help out with cooking.

Wasatch
08-16-2011, 04:14 PM
So are we agreed on a date and a place then? If so could we possibly include that info in the thread title so that folks know what exactly what they're signing up for?

I'd like to be in on this one...it's been a while...

Yes, the first one will be in the North Wash area. The second one most likely in Robbers Roost. I will ask a mod to include date/place in title. Again there are actually 2 trips planned. We might just split them up into 2 different threads.

tylerhirshfeld
08-16-2011, 09:06 PM
Cant wait to see plans for these trips. I would really like to do something outside Zion this fall/winter. Let me know if I can help with anything.

hike.higher
08-17-2011, 12:11 PM
Thanks. Let me know if I can help with anything. The November dates would be better. I would probably come down Friday to Sunday and bring a friend.

Aarjonet
08-17-2011, 04:27 PM
How many people usually come to these events? It may determine how many friends I drag along.

CarpeyBiggs
08-17-2011, 04:57 PM
How many people usually come to these events? It may determine how many friends I drag along.
15-20 sometimes up to 35....

Wasatch
08-17-2011, 07:26 PM
15-20 sometimes up to 35....

If this happens, there better be a few people to help out, taking people thru some canyons.:nod:

moab mark
08-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Yes, the first one will be in the North Wash area. The second one most likely in Robbers Roost. I will ask a mod to include date/place in title. Again there are actually 2 trips planned. We might just split them up into 2 different threads.

Wasatch,
Have you got dates? If you know them go into your first post and edit it.

CarpeyBiggs
08-18-2011, 11:38 AM
seriously, what are the dates? if not, somebody else just needs to take control of this thing... looks like there is tons of interest.

jman
08-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Okay, so the title was changed to Oct 13-16 for the North Wash Area. Wasatch will create another thread for the Robbers Roost area later on.

Oh, and added the possible names to the 1st page. Hopefully this is okay with you Wasatch? I took the liberty and created some order for this thread as the fest nears.

Wasatch
08-18-2011, 03:58 PM
Okay, so the title was changed to Oct 13-16 for the North Wash Area. Wasatch will create another thread for the Robbers Roost area later on.

Oh, and added the possible names to the 1st page. Hopefully this is okay with you Wasatch? I took the liberty and created some order for this thread as the fest nears.

Thanks jman.

Wasatch
08-18-2011, 04:21 PM
OK. Names are listed, if you cannot make it please let me know, I will remove your name. If some people want to volunteer to take people thru these canyons please let me know. This will be newbie friendly to moderate canyons. On Friday 14 Oct, I would be willing to take people thru LF and RF of Blarney.

Wasatch
08-18-2011, 04:53 PM
14 Oct - LF Blarney (limit 6)
Wasatch

14 Oct - RF Blarney (limit 6)
Wasatch

ratagonia
08-18-2011, 06:43 PM
OK. Names are listed, if you cannot make it please let me know, I will remove your name. If some people want to volunteer to take people thru these canyons please let me know. This will be newbie friendly to moderate canyons. On Friday 14 Oct, I would be willing to take people thru LF and RF of Blarney.

We have a Zion Adventure Company trip to North Wash that weekend. Not like we will be a big crowd, but if the momentum has not built for that date yet, perhaps you could change it. Please.

Also, I think you would do well to start a new thread for planning this, with the organizer (John?) editing the first post to keep it up to date...

Bshelton
08-18-2011, 07:52 PM
I will be in Escalante that weekend from the 14th-17th. Had a general plan of hitting Neon for sure - after that no real plan. Thought about hitting a couple of canyons in that area but that was before the North Wash trip planning begun.

I assume you will be posting your general location?? Would anyone object to a party of two making a possible unannounced appearance?

Wasatch
08-18-2011, 08:46 PM
I will be in Escalante that weekend from the 14th-17th. Had a general plan of hitting Neon for sure - after that no real plan. Thought about hitting a couple of canyons in that area but that was before the North Wash trip planning begun.

I assume you will be posting your general location?? Would anyone object to a party of two making a possible unannounced appearance?

I'm sure we will be at Sandthrax.

Bshelton
08-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks Wasatch!

Wasatch
08-19-2011, 07:03 AM
First page has been updated with all details, I hope, LOL

wasatchghost
08-19-2011, 03:18 PM
I would love to do Shenanigans if anyone will be taking people through. Also the middle fork of Leprechaun. I am very skinny (6'1" and 140 lbs) so the squeezing shouldn't be a problem :haha:

Wasatch
08-19-2011, 03:30 PM
I would love to do Shenanigans if anyone will be taking people through. Also the middle fork of Leprechaun. I am very skinny (6'1" and 140 lbs) so the squeezing shouldn't be a problem :haha:

This is kinda defeating the purpose of this Fest. I really set this up for Beginners and Intermediates at best to let them see what canyons are around beside Zion and Moab.

ratagonia
08-19-2011, 04:23 PM
This is kinda defeating the purpose of this Fest. I really set this up for Beginners and Intermediates at best to let them see what canyons are around beside Zion and Moab.

and?

not catching your point on that, John.

:moses:

ststephen
08-19-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm not sure if this is going to work out for me now. October is getting busy on a few fronts. I may not be able to commit to a specific weekend until very close to the time, but I'll keep watching here and see if it can work out.

Wasatch
08-19-2011, 05:01 PM
and?

not catching your point on that, John.

:moses:

Then it might turn into a little niche thing, and there will be no one to take people thru other canyons. OK, lets do this I will not take anyone thru some canyons and only go if I can take some canyons off my list also that i have not done. I meant to have this fest to introduce people to the area, if no one helps in this endeavour (finding volunteers to help out leading canyons, only out there for there own personnel agenda), it will most likely not happen.

New Mexico
08-21-2011, 11:20 AM
John,
Sign me up for 14 Oct LF and RF Blarney. I can also bring a two burner camp chef with a griddle, two burner coleman stove and small BBQ grill. If you need help with anything else let me know.

James

Wasatch
08-21-2011, 11:34 AM
John,
Sign me up for 14 Oct LF and RF Blarney. I can also bring a two burner camp chef with a griddle, two burner coleman stove and small BBQ grill. If you need help with anything else let me know.

James

Hi James,

I gotcha down. Thanks for the offer on the stoves/grill, I'm sure we will need them.

Scott P
08-21-2011, 07:54 PM
Right now we plan to be camped at Goblin Valley Oct 13-16, so I might be interested in doing a canyon on one of those days.

Wasatch
08-22-2011, 04:20 AM
Right now we plan to be camped at Goblin Valley Oct 13-16, so I might be interested in doing a canyon on one of those days.

Let me know what you have planned. Would you be willing to take some people thru a canyon or two?

rockgremlin
08-23-2011, 07:13 AM
I think Shenany is a reasonable 'intermediate' canyon. If I'm in attendance I wouldn't mind to lead or co-lead on it. Shenany is a great canyon, lets not rule it out.

optikal
08-23-2011, 01:16 PM
I haven't been through any canyons in the North Wash but I'm willing to co-lead. I'm very comfortable in 3B/C, and recently lead a small group (3) down The Squeeze (4B IV) when it was mostly full and it was cake.

I will bring a Coleman 2 burner camp stove, and can bring 2 backpacking stoves as well if needed. I'll be driving down from SLC and can help haul gear if needed. I'll be in my 4x4 Jeep Liberty that I can drive to/from trailheads with a group of 5 total (including myself.)

Blarney sounds okay, but I'd prefer something like Shenanigans (or similar more-technical canyon) if we can find someone to lead it... I'll happily co-lead and help with rigging, cleaning, and hauling. Seems to be enough advanced folk interested that we should at least plan a couple more-technical canyons than Blarney...

CarpeyBiggs
08-23-2011, 01:34 PM
i expect i'll be able to make it, but my commitments may change. october will be prime time in the grand canyon, and i've got to finish some projects down there.

if not, i'll try and make it.

hog 1, monkey business, shenanigans, no kidding, leps, blarneys, morocco, are all canyons i'm happy to do. i think a weight requirement on people should be expected though if they want to go through shenanny. people have to agree to not be offended if they are voted out of consideration... :haha:

Wasatch
08-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Cool, I've got you down. So will you be coming down alone? When the time gets closer, we can discuss about stoves/grills.

I haven't been through any canyons in the North Wash but I'm willing to co-lead. I'm very comfortable in 3B/C, and recently lead a small group (3) down The Squeeze (4B IV) when it was mostly full and it was cake.

I will bring a Coleman 2 burner camp stove, and can bring 2 backpacking stoves as well if needed. I'll be driving down from SLC and can help haul gear if needed. I'll be in my 4x4 Jeep Liberty that I can drive to/from trailheads with a group of 5 total (including myself.)

Blarney sounds okay, but I'd prefer something like Shenanigans (or similar more-technical canyon) if we can find someone to lead it... I'll happily co-lead and help with rigging, cleaning, and hauling. Seems to be enough advanced folk interested that we should at least plan a couple more-technical canyons than Blarney...

Wasatch
08-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Cool. Let me know if you can make it and what canyons you would like to take some people thru.

i expect i'll be able to make it, but my commitments may change. october will be prime time in the grand canyon, and i've got to finish some projects down there.

if not, i'll try and make it.

hog 1, monkey business, shenanigans, no kidding, leps, blarneys, morocco, are all canyons i'm happy to do. i think a weight requirement on people should be expected though if they want to go through shenanny. people have to agree to not be offended if they are voted out of consideration... :haha:

optikal
08-23-2011, 02:19 PM
Cool, I've got you down. So will you be coming down alone? When the time gets closer, we can discuss about stoves/grills.

I currently have +2 which are tentative, hoping to get confirmations this week. If either of them bail, I'll offer up seats in my Jeep for anyone who wants to carpool... but 3 total is about as high as I want to go with canyon/camping gear without strapping to the roof. :)

If you need help with any other aspects of planning, don't hesitate to hit me up.

Scott P
08-24-2011, 06:52 AM
Would you be willing to take some people thru a canyon or two?

Maybe, but I can't commit which day yet.

EvergreenDean
08-24-2011, 02:05 PM
I am so in.

Wasatch
08-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Maybe, but I can't commit which day yet.

Cool, thanks. I'll put ya down as a maybe.

Rob L
08-27-2011, 10:14 PM
I'm a definite no to this one...will keep my options open for later in the year.

Wasatch
08-28-2011, 06:21 AM
I'm a definite no to this one...will keep my options open for later in the year.

Got it, maybe in Nov.

bowjunkie
09-06-2011, 11:33 AM
I might show up for a overnite !!!!

CarpeyBiggs
09-19-2011, 08:01 PM
i have to bow out on this one... looks like i'll be in oregon these dates. perhaps i'll be around for the november one.

Wasatch
09-20-2011, 04:28 AM
i have to bow out on this one... looks like i'll be in oregon these dates. perhaps i'll be around for the november one.

ok, thanks for letting me know.

Scott P
09-20-2011, 06:00 AM
I'm slighty confused. Is there a trip in October and November or has the trip been changed from October to November?

Wasatch
09-20-2011, 04:03 PM
I'm slighty confused. Is there a trip in October and November or has the trip been changed from October to November?

There are two separate trips.

tylerhirshfeld
09-20-2011, 04:20 PM
I am still in for this. Will also be over in the Swell the 3rd to 6th.

Scott P
09-20-2011, 07:37 PM
There are two separate trips.

I see.

Just a suggestion and I don't want to shake things up, but might I suggest switching the October and November trips.

Good reasons:

1. The Roost is almost always good in October, only sometimes in November. North Wash is almost always good in November (and the road is paved).

2. The Roost Canyons are longer and the more daylight the better. The North Wash (most at least) canyons are short and daylight isn't a problem.

3. Tom is leading a guided group through North Wash canyons in October.

I'd go to both either way, but to me it makes sense to switch them around.

Bshelton
09-20-2011, 08:04 PM
I would not be opposed to this idea at all. Either way I'm good.

Wasatch
09-22-2011, 04:32 AM
I see.

Just a suggestion and I don't want to shake things up, but might I suggest switching the October and November trips.

Good reasons:

1. The Roost is almost always good in October, only sometimes in November. North Wash is almost always good in November (and the road is paved).

2. The Roost Canyons are longer and the more daylight the better. The North Wash (most at least) canyons are short and daylight isn't a problem.

3. Tom is leading a guided group through North Wash canyons in October.

I'd go to both either way, but to me it makes sense to switch them around.

ok, Let's change them around. I will change the first post.

ratagonia
09-22-2011, 08:18 AM
ok, Let's change them around. I will change the first post.

I have a trip to North Wash on both dates, and the October trip is more tentative and smaller.

Tom :moses:

Wasatch
09-23-2011, 02:42 PM
I guess I cannot get a mod to change the subject title's around for me.

Wasatch
09-23-2011, 03:52 PM
Mod, Forget it, I figured it out for myself.

Aarjonet
09-25-2011, 09:29 PM
So, a bunch of people planned events that I have to be to on pretty much everyday for the October event, so don't count on me then. I REALLY hope to go in November still.

Wasatch
09-26-2011, 01:19 PM
ok, maybe see you Nov.

So, a bunch of people planned events that I have to be to on pretty much everyday for the October event, so don't count on me then. I REALLY hope to go in November still.

Wasatch
09-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Here is an email from Courtney P (cp0915):

"I would be willing to lead Larry and Alcatraz on the 14th, an East Fork to Main Fork Blue John loop on the 15th, and Chambers on the 16th, if you have solid people who are interested in those objectives and that itinerary. Before I commit, can you confirm how many people are interesting in those canyons on those days? I don't really care to drive out there for the less-interesting canyons in the Roost. Please let people know that I move quickly, so I'd like a fast, proficient, athletic and motivated group."

So, if this interests you, let me know.

Wasatch
09-26-2011, 01:40 PM
OK. This is getting pretty close. Would like to pick a definite spot for camping at. Would like it to be kinda close to the canyons we have planned. So, here is the canyons people mentioned.

Scott P - BlueJohns, Buck, Sam Mesa Box, Alcatraz, Larry
Wasatch - White Roost, WF White Roost, Mindbender
MPH - Little White Roost, NF Robber's Roost
cp0915 - Alcatraz, Larry, EF to MF BlueJohn, Chambers

So far given these canyons: White Roost Trailhead, or Granary Spring. There are a couple more people that said they would be willing to take some people thru some canyons that have not responded yet.

Wasatch
09-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Just to reiterate, if you want to go on Courtney's trips let me know either by PM, e-mail, or post it here. A brief history of your canyoneering experience will be forwarded to Courtney.

Here is an email from Courtney P (cp0915):

"I would be willing to lead Larry and Alcatraz on the 14th, an East Fork to Main Fork Blue John loop on the 15th, and Chambers on the 16th, if you have solid people who are interested in those objectives and that itinerary. Before I commit, can you confirm how many people are interesting in those canyons on those days? I don't really care to drive out there for the less-interesting canyons in the Roost. Please let people know that I move quickly, so I'd like a fast, proficient, athletic and motivated group."

So, if this interests you, let me know.

optikal
09-27-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm still committed. Waiting on a response from my 2 buddies to verify if they are coming or not. I'm still willing to help co-lead, but I've only done Moonshine Wash in the Roost (been focused on Zion and the Swell) so best if I don't lead an unfamiliar canyon with a bunch of unfamiliars (but hopefully you're not for long :))

ddavis
09-28-2011, 07:34 PM
I just RSVP'ed on the calendar. I'm interested in canyons on Friday and Saturday. I have some experience in canyons, but I'm not skilled enough to lead anything. I'm interested in Blue John, and maybe Alcatraz. I have to admit this thread is a little confusing, so I'm not sure I understand where everyone will be camping, or what else you need to know. Just let me know.

Wasatch
09-28-2011, 08:27 PM
I don't know how that calendar works, but posting here is the best way. I have been keeping the first page updated. Still not sure where we will camp yet. I'm still waiting for a few people to let me know what canyons they plan on leading. Just keep coming back and look at from the last post you did and the first page.

I just RSVP'ed on the calendar. I'm interested in canyons on Friday and Saturday. I have some experience in canyons, but I'm not skilled enough to lead anything. I'm interested in Blue John, and maybe Alcatraz. I have to admit this thread is a little confusing, so I'm not sure I understand where everyone will be camping, or what else you need to know. Just let me know.

Scott P
09-29-2011, 05:21 PM
If we are camping at White Roost as originally mentioned, I could lead Buck Canyon. (Maybe Pasture)

If we are camping around Granary Spring I could lead East Fork Blue John or Same Mesa Box. Sams Mesa Box is good, but for the sake of the trip (leading a bunch of people I'm not familiar with), I'd skip the R section. However, if obviously experienced people were along, whomsover wants to do the optional difficult is welcome to do so.

I'd be willing to lead any of the above on Friday.

If anyone is interested, there is a really nice looking off the radar slot I've had my eye on for many years now, but I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet. It would take a very strong group since it looks pretty tight and there is no beta available. If there are some experienced people interested in trying it, I'd be willing to give it a shot Saturday.

Wasatch
09-29-2011, 05:33 PM
If we are camping at White Roost as originally mentioned, I could lead Buck Canyon. (Maybe Pasture)

If we are camping around Granary Spring I could lead East Fork Blue John or Same Mesa Box. Sams Mesa Box is good, but for the sake of the trip (leading a bunch of people I'm not familiar with), I'd skip the R section. However, if obviously experienced people were along, whomsover wants to do the optional difficult is welcome to do so.

I'd be willing to lead any of the above on Friday.

If anyone is interested, there is a really nice looking off the radar slot I've had my eye on for many years now, but I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet. It would take a very strong group since it looks pretty tight and there is no beta available. If there are some experienced people interested in trying it, I'd be willing to give it a shot Saturday.

So, would that be the only canyon you would be willing to do on Sat?

Wasatch
09-30-2011, 07:43 AM
The camp spot has been set. We can still do some canyons not in the area, but you will have to factor in the driving time and time to do the canyon before it starts getting dark.

trackrunner
09-30-2011, 09:21 AM
I may be able to go if I can car pool with someone. Interested in White Roost, Larry & Alcatraz. CP you can ask around about me. I've done heaps, imlay, some tight north wash and lake powell canyons.

Wasatch
09-30-2011, 12:59 PM
I may be able to go if I can car pool with someone. Interested in White Roost, Larry & Alcatraz. CP you can ask around about me. I've done heaps, imlay, some tight north wash and lake powell canyons.

PM sent

Wasatch
10-01-2011, 07:47 AM
Just updated the first page, look under Important Notes.

Wasatch
10-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Please do not use the calender to RSVP, as I will not be looking at it. I will pm you to see if you are still interested. All important stuff will be on the first page.

Bshelton
10-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Ill plan on bringing some firewood.

Wasatch
10-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Ill plan on bringing some firewood.

Cool, thanks.

kokopelli99
10-03-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm new to this forum and new to canyoneering. I just took a 3-day canyoneering course from Darkhorse Leadership. Do you have room for a newbie on this trip?

Karl

Wasatch
10-04-2011, 04:28 AM
Sure

Scott P
10-04-2011, 06:13 AM
I hate to do this, but it's possible that I won't be able to make it. If this storm materializes and we have to shut down the construction project this Thursday and Friday, it will put us behind and next week may be used as catch up. It all depends on what this storm does.

Wasatch
10-04-2011, 05:00 PM
I hate to do this, but it's possible that I won't be able to make it. If this storm materializes and we have to shut down the construction project this Thursday and Friday, it will put us behind and next week may be used as catch up. It all depends on what this storm does.

Yes that will suck, since so far you and I are the only one's willing to take some people thru the canyons. Well, Courtney is willing, but only one person has responded to that, and I don't think CP will come down for one person, one day of canyon(s). Their is a pretty good possibility of 12-15 people showing up for this right now. I will still be down there with some people, so........

wasatchghost
10-04-2011, 06:24 PM
What exactly is involved in "leading a canyon"? I don't have enough experience to be responsible for a bunch of noobs, but as long as there is at least one knowledgeable, experienced person in the group I would co-lead Alcatraz, Larry, or MF of Bluejohn. And if anyone is just dying to see Lower Bluejohn I could take people down to the top of the big drop thru the west fork

Bshelton
10-04-2011, 06:31 PM
I would assume not everybody is a noob and most have some experience. If worst comes to worst we can all break up and do our own thing out there making sure to include those with little or no experience in our separate trips.

I will be out there +1 and neither of us need to be led through a canyon, I would even be happy to have a couple tag along if they don't feel comfortable on their own.

Worst case scenario we have good company at motel 6, get to hit the roost during some good weather, and sort out some car shuttles.

Well with the way things have been going in the roost lately one of us may come out of it with a book/movie deal.

Thoughts?

Wasatch
10-04-2011, 08:51 PM
What exactly is involved in "leading a canyon"? I don't have enough experience to be responsible for a bunch of noobs, but as long as there is at least one knowledgeable, experienced person in the group I would co-lead Alcatraz, Larry, or MF of Bluejohn. And if anyone is just dying to see Lower Bluejohn I could take people down to the top of the big drop thru the west fork

A professional guide has way more skills (rescue, wilderness, tools in his bag, etc....) but, for this fest, everyone is responsible for themselves safety wise, we will all help/look out for each other. Getting into the right canyon and back to the vehicle is very important, so someone that has done that canyon can do that easier/faster without wasting energy. Very good map reading skills and very good GPS skills are also great. Setting up rappels, excellent rope management, natural anchor skills, contingincies, ..... are some of the things a leader should know how to do. As long as there is one or two people with these skills per canyon, we should be ok. So, if the people who said would help out taking some people thru the canyons do not show up, then what we have here should work out, no problem, hopefully, lol

Iceaxe
10-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Unsolicited advice from Iceaxe....

Important! There is no cost for Bogley fest trips, we are just a bunch of friends meeting to do canyons together, this is not a class or a guided trip! If you lack rappelling skills find someone to take you out to practice before the Bogleyfest. In the slot is not the time to learn to rappel. This means you know how to clip in and rappel without help, you do not 'freak-out' on long or awkward rappels, you can at least dog paddle if your route contains water. If you feel you need help in the canyons let someone know.... but ultimately.... YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!

Equipment:
Everyone is responsible for a harness, one locking biner, and a rappel devise that you know how to use! Helmets are advised, (bicycle helmets work for noobs).

Some routes are wet, and some are dry... its up to you to know the difference and prepare properly. If the route is wet a wetsuit is required. You will also want a dry bag to keep anything you want to stay dry in. If you need equipment post and maybe someone else can help you out.

Canyoneering Gear
http://climb-utah.com/Misc/gear.htm

Rope: Several folks need to bring ropes.

:stud:

Wasatch
10-05-2011, 04:35 AM
Excellent advise Iceaxe:nod:

remoteman45
10-05-2011, 09:02 AM
I'm hoping to make it and it looks good to go for me and possibly 2-3 others. . I understand then the campsite is Granary Springs? I've done Larry, High Spur, NF Robbers, White Roost, Not MindBender, East Blue John. Looking forward to meeting some Bogleyites. I'd be coming in Thursday afternoon late to do some stuff friday and saturday. Hope for good weather and dry canyons. -Ted

Wasatch
10-05-2011, 04:39 PM
ok

I'm hoping to make it and it looks good to go for me and possibly 2-3 others. . I understand then the campsite is Granary Springs? I've done Larry, High Spur, NF Robbers, White Roost, Not MindBender, East Blue John. Looking forward to meeting some Bogleyites. I'd be coming in Thursday afternoon late to do some stuff friday and saturday. Hope for good weather and dry canyons. -Ted

EvergreenDean
10-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Two of us will be there Thursday afternoon with lots of gear, ropes and questionable skills. Kenny (Agostinone), you coming? I have a ride for you Thursday from Denver if needed. Return shuttle would be Monday.

Scott P
10-06-2011, 11:45 AM
My project is shut down because of the storm.

That means I won't be able to make it next Friday (because we will have to make up time). I'm still hoping to go the weekend though and there is at least a 80% chance of that!

Wasatch
10-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Cool, see ya there. Kenny told me he was not going, I'm pretty sure he answered a PM from me.

Two of us will be there Thursday afternoon with lots of gear, ropes and questionable skills. Kenny (Agostinone), you coming? I have a ride for you Thursday from Denver if needed. Return shuttle would be Monday.

Wasatch
10-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Maybe we will see ya Saturday.

My project is shut down because of the storm.

That means I won't be able to make it next Friday (because we will have to make up time). I'm still hoping to go the weekend though and there is at least a 80% chance of that!

Wasatch
10-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Courtney will not be attending.

ddavis
10-06-2011, 07:11 PM
I'm still planning to attend, and it looks like I will be bringing a guest.

Deborah

Wasatch
10-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Cool, see ya there.

I'm still planning to attend, and it looks like I will be bringing a guest.

Deborah

optikal
10-07-2011, 09:27 AM
I regret to inform you but I too will have to pull back on this trip. :( I just got a job offer from VMware starting as a Linux Systems Administrator on Monday the 10th and am being shipped out to Vegas that Wednesday to the SuperNAP datacenter.

I'm bummed, was really looking forward to this. I will, however, be on the next trip in November... so see you all then!

Wasatch
10-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Cool, have fun at your new job. Hopefully see ya in Nov.

I regret to inform you but I too will have to pull back on this trip. :( I just got a job offer from VMware starting as a Linux Systems Administrator on Monday the 10th and am being shipped out to Vegas that Wednesday to the SuperNAP datacenter.

I'm bummed, was really looking forward to this. I will, however, be on the next trip in November... so see you all then!

Scott P
10-08-2011, 08:08 AM
Count me in for Saturday-Sunday (morning).

If you still need a leader saturday, and a Granary Springs Campsite I could lead Sams Mesa Box (or possiblly one of the Bluejohn complex if people want to do that).

Sunday (half day-we'll be hitting church in GJ on the way back) I could do Buck Canyon or a really neat slot near Goblin Valley (which will be somewhat on the way home for most). A while ago we found a cool looking slot with "goblins" (outside, but near Goblin Valley) that has at least a few short raps and several downclimbs.

I'm taking my son, so I won't be be in the more "friendly" slots. As metioned above, people should have basic canyoneering skills and gear.

Because of the time of year and short daylight, I'd prefer an early start for all of the above.

Also, if you are just leading the White Roost stuff (it sounds like no one else is leading?) and wanted to camp over there and be closer together, I'd be more than happy to camp out there and focus on the Buck/Pasture area, but I'm cool with anything.

Wasatch
10-08-2011, 10:09 AM
We will be at Granary Springs Thurs night thru Sunday morning. Most likely we won't be doing any White Roost canyons, well at least me. Most likely I will do Lost Park and Not Mindbender, also maybe a short canyon on one of these days if we have time. Sunday maybe a short one in White Roost (WFWR or Buck) area, or maybe the canyon you are talking about near Goblin Valley.

Count me in for Saturday-Sunday (morning).

If you still need a leader saturday, and a Granary Springs Campsite I could lead Sams Mesa Box (or possiblly one of the Bluejohn complex if people want to do that).

Sunday (half day-we'll be hitting church in GJ on the way back) I could do Buck Canyon or a really neat slot near Goblin Valley (which will be somewhat on the way home for most). A while ago we found a cool looking slot with "goblins" (outside, but near Goblin Valley) that has at least a few short raps and several downclimbs.

I'm taking my son, so I won't be be in the more "friendly" slots. As metioned above, people should have basic canyoneering skills and gear.

Because of the time of year and short daylight, I'd prefer an early start for all of the above.

Also, if you are just leading the White Roost stuff (it sounds like no one else is leading?) and wanted to camp over there and be closer together, I'd be more than happy to camp out there and focus on the Buck/Pasture area, but I'm cool with anything.

wasatchghost
10-08-2011, 10:29 AM
I don't suppose anyone is planning on doing Chambers now that Courtney has decided not to come?

Wasatch
10-08-2011, 10:38 AM
The first page has been updated alittle.

EvergreenDean
10-08-2011, 07:08 PM
I don't suppose anyone is planning on doing Chambers now that Courtney has decided not to come?

I am willing to do Chambers on Sunday with a small team.

Wasatch
10-08-2011, 07:44 PM
I am willing to do Chambers on Sunday with a small team.

I will put you down for Chambers.

blueshade
10-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Unfortunately came to this thread late, but if you wouldn't mind a late +1 I'd be game. I wanted to go back in May but the weather wasn't favorable.

I am an intermediate canyoneer with strong scrambling skills (done over a dozen canyons and recently got back from a peak bagging trip in the Sierras). I haven't done any RR canyons and don't have a lot of experience rigging advanced raps, but otherwise feel comfortable doing most any canyon there.

I'm especially interested in EvergreenDean's canyons- Larry, Alcatraz, High Spur, Blue John, Mind Bender, Chambers
-but would be willing to do anything.

Are the canyons drying out finally after all of the spring rain?

I was also already looking into going to the North Wash ~Nov 6-10, so will probably be there (assuming the weather holds).

Thanks!

Udink
10-09-2011, 03:06 PM
There was heavy rain across the area a few days ago (and even more about three weeks ago), so I would imagine any canyon that holds water would still be pretty full. :cold:

wasatchghost
10-09-2011, 04:00 PM
I definitely want to do High Spur and Chambers, any ideas on specific days for specific canyons?

Wasatch
10-09-2011, 05:08 PM
I put you down.

Unfortunately came to this thread late, but if you wouldn't mind a late +1 I'd be game. I wanted to go back in May but the weather wasn't favorable.

I am an intermediate canyoneer with strong scrambling skills (done over a dozen canyons and recently got back from a peak bagging trip in the Sierras). I haven't done any RR canyons and don't have a lot of experience rigging advanced raps, but otherwise feel comfortable doing most any canyon there.

I'm especially interested in EvergreenDean's canyons- Larry, Alcatraz, High Spur, Blue John, Mind Bender, Chambers
-but would be willing to do anything.

I was also already looking into going to the North Wash ~Nov 6-10, so will probably be there (assuming the weather holds).

Thanks!

kokopelli99
10-10-2011, 06:15 AM
I'm one of the newbies signed up for this trip. I don't have a wetsuit. Are there canyons where one is not needed so I can do without a suit or can anyone lend me one? I'm 5'10" and about 146 lbs.

Karl

Wasatch
10-10-2011, 06:52 AM
I'm one of the newbies signed up for this trip. I don't have a wetsuit. Are there canyons where one is not needed so I can do without a suit or can anyone lend me one? I'm 5'10" and about 146 lbs.

Karl

I believe most of the canyons that have been mentioned do not require a wetsuit. As of right now, I will not be bringing one.

blueshade
10-10-2011, 09:14 AM
Are people planning on doing a canyon Thursday morning or not until the afternoon? Like I think EvergreenDean said, I may not be able to be there until Th afternoon. Otherwise meeting at Granary Spring?

fresh_narwhal
10-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Has anyone done the Hans Flat road lately. Recently graded?? Would a low clearance Civic get worked if I tried to drive to Granary Spring?

Sandstone Addiction
10-10-2011, 03:19 PM
I don't have a wetsuit. Are there canyons where one is not needed so I can do without a suit or can anyone lend me one?

Someone told me that you can rent them very reasonably from UVU...not sure if this is true or if you need a student ID???

http://www.uvu.edu/oac/equipmentrentals/

JT Local
10-10-2011, 08:43 PM
A friend and I will be there Thursday. Hopefully we can tag along in some canyons, also looking to work out a shuttle.
We can bring firewood if it's still needed. Let me know.

Wasatch
10-10-2011, 11:18 PM
First page update.

rms4545
10-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Please clarify: The 'campground' is at Granary Springs? If it ends up being at White Roost, can someone please give me directions? The first trip would be on Thursday the 13th or on Friday the 14th? Thanks!

Wasatch
10-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Please clarify: The 'campground' is at Granary Springs? If it ends up being at White Roost, can someone please give me directions? The first trip would be on Thursday the 13th or on Friday the 14th? Thanks!

We are meeting/camping at Granary Springs. First trip for me on Friday 14th.

tylerhirshfeld
10-11-2011, 03:55 PM
I will be in the area Thursday monring. Anybody else going to be around that wants to hit a canyon up that day?

Wasatch
10-11-2011, 04:45 PM
EvergreenDean might be around, PM him.

I will be in the area Thursday monring. Anybody else going to be around that wants to hit a canyon up that day?

kokopelli99
10-12-2011, 05:50 AM
Is there a water source at Granary Spring or should I bring water? Also, if there are not enough people willing to lead, any thoughts on how the determination will be made as to who participates? Based on who signed up first? level of experience? drawing straws? feats of strength?

Karl

canyoncaver
10-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Bring water.

Iceaxe
10-12-2011, 12:09 PM
If you attend these types of events with the goal of meeting fun people, making friendships and descending exciting slots, you will have a great experience. If you are attending these types of events for the reason of ticking specific slots off your to-do list you should probably alter your plans to a private trip you organize yourself.

As a normal rule at these type gatherings.... any plans for who does what routes with whom completely disappears the first morning. Now I'm not personally involved in this fest, but I've probably attend 10 or 20 over the years, and organized 6 or 7, and that has always been the case.

Groups tend to form by who wants to do what canyons, skill levels, friendships, and somewhat on age because those near the same age tend to have the same interests. After the first day most people join a route for the second day based on friendships they have made the first day or around the nightly campfire.

The main item an organizer has to watch out for and protect against is making sure all the talent (skilled canyoneers) don't join into one group and leave the other groups short of talent. When I have organized these type of events in the past I've just asked the talent to spread themselves out and that has been all the actual planning required.

As a general rule everyone gets to descend most of the slots they desire, provided others have the same desire.

I hope no one takes offense to the unsolicited advise, I've just been involved in enough of these rodeos to know what to expect and hope my experience will make yours more enjoyable.

:popcorn:

JT Local
10-12-2011, 01:42 PM
What are the Hans Flats road conditions? Will 2WD F-150 with clearance be Ok on most of the roads? Thanks

CarpeyBiggs
10-12-2011, 01:51 PM
What are the Hans Flats road conditions? Will 2WD F-150 with clearance be Ok on most of the roads? Thanks
yes.

kokopelli99
10-12-2011, 02:27 PM
My concern was not whether I will be able to hit any particular canyon - I'm grateful as a newbie to whoever allows me to participate and gain some experience - but whether I would be able to participate at all. If leaders are scarce, will some people basically be left at camp to keep groups to a managable size?

remoteman45
10-12-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm looking for a group to go with on Friday and would like to do either something in the Bluejohn complex (I've done west Bluejohn) or Not Mindbender (did it last year) or possibly a photography group that wants to do High Spur (did it earlier this year but the wind was howling and the light was not good that day - it is a ways out there tho). The Mindbenders and High Spur need shuttle participation but I'd be happy to lead/co-lead those canyons. For saturday I have some additional people coming in friday late and we're planning on doing Larry and have room for a few more people to join the group. Larry needs shuttle participation also. I'll be coming in thursday afternoon and will be in the camping trailer with the white Chev Duramax crew cab pickup if anybody wants to chat. -Ted

Wasatch
10-12-2011, 04:34 PM
I think we will be ok, with enough people willing to take others thru some canyons. It kinda depends on how many people actually show up. Taking 5-6 people per group should be fine for most if not all the canyons that have been mentioned so far. This is not the way I intended to set this up, but I did the best with what I had, lol

Is there a water source at Granary Spring or should I bring water? Also, if there are not enough people willing to lead, any thoughts on how the determination will be made as to who participates? Based on who signed up first? level of experience? drawing straws? feats of strength?

Karl

Wasatch
10-12-2011, 04:36 PM
I sure hope no one get's left behind, I really do not want that to happen.:nono::nono::angryfire:

My concern was not whether I will be able to hit any particular canyon - I'm grateful as a newbie to whoever allows me to participate and gain some experience - but whether I would be able to participate at all. If leaders are scarce, will some people basically be left at camp to keep groups to a managable size?

Wasatch
10-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Mindbender and High Spur do not need shuttles. Larry also does not need a shuttle, but it would be nice. Bring this up on Thursday night or sometime Friday.I think you might get some takers for Larry.

I'm looking for a group to go with on Friday and would like to do either something in the Bluejohn complex (I've done west Bluejohn) or Not Mindbender (did it last year) or possibly a photography group that wants to do High Spur (did it earlier this year but the wind was howling and the light was not good that day - it is a ways out there tho). The Mindbenders and High Spur need shuttle participation but I'd be happy to lead/co-lead those canyons. For saturday I have some additional people coming in friday late and we're planning on doing Larry and have room for a few more people to join the group. Larry needs shuttle participation also. I'll be coming in thursday afternoon and will be in the camping trailer with the white Chev Duramax crew cab pickup if anybody wants to chat. -Ted

remoteman45
10-12-2011, 07:22 PM
I beg to differ with you there Mr Wasatch with the exception of Mind Bender. But if you're doing Not Mind Bender, the Moki exit parking spot and the trailhead are 6 miles of road walking apart. I'd say that needs a shuttle. And maybe you're okay about considerably long hikes after reaching the roads but Larry and High Spur are pretty good hikes after you come out of the canyon as well and are 100 times more enjoyable with shuttles. Has it been a while since you've done those?

CarpeyBiggs
10-12-2011, 08:28 PM
the canyons are all short enough in the roost that you never NEED a car shuttle. some may prefer one though. but the shuttles usually only save 1-2 hours of hiking... ymmv

Iceaxe
10-12-2011, 08:42 PM
One of the sweet things about a Bogley-fest is shuttles are seldom an issue as there are usually plenty of vehicles to make most shuttles work.

remoteman45
10-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Wouldn't you love a shuttle over the road walking when you've come up the MIA exit from Kolob Creek? Not an option for most people so you do a long mandatory walk back to the West Rim trailhead. But if you can arrange a shuttle - why not. I know I was sure happy to see my truck at the top of the Larry exit as well as Not Mind Bender and after coming out of High Spur you can see nearly back to where you started so to not have to do all that road walking after the canyon is fine with me. Maybe I sound like a wuss but I'll bet ya I'm one of if not the oldest guy in the Roost doing canyons this weekend so maybe I appreciate a shuttle, when one can be arranged, more than some of the younger crowd. Although I've never had any of the younger crowd that has gone with me say they'd rather walk than ride when given the option. Just sayin......:nod::nod:

blueshade
10-12-2011, 09:53 PM
If anyone checks this Thursday morning, I'm hoping to get to Granary Spring at 8-9 AM. I'm looking at doing NE Fork Twin Corral, swinging back to camp, and then maybe going to Horseshoe Canyon if there is still enough daylight left. Red car.

remoteman45 - I'd be game for Larry, Alcatraz, Not MB, High Spur, or Blue John etc. Although my car is not high clearance and wouldn't work well as a shuttle for some of those, I could co-lead.

Iceaxe
10-17-2011, 09:52 AM
I'm locking this thread as the event has happened.

Please post trip reports here:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?60993

Thanks
:cool2: