PDA

View Full Version : Professor Creek - Moab, UT

spencer.kindt
03-22-2011, 02:31 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and a beginner in terms of canyoneering... I've done rappels and such in scouting, but it's been a while.

Anyways - My main question is about Professor Creek - I've tried looking around and it looks like you get to the trailhead and after a while start going upstream, but there are a few obstacles... one or two being a rappel down a waterfall.

I'd like to hike it with my wife, but I don't have any equipment... Would it be worth it to go as far as we can and then turn around? Could we get very far?

If we do decide to get rope and other gear, what all would we need? Could we get by with just rope? I'm just looking for some advice from someone that is familiar with the area.

thanks!!

Scott P
03-22-2011, 06:40 PM
Would it be worth it to go as far as we can and then turn around? Could we get very far?

Yes, you can see most of the best parts of Professor Creek without a rope. The hike up to the waterfall is a nice trip. It's maybe 8-9 miles round trip and very easy.

Could we get by with just rope?

No; not to get down the waterfalls. You will need more equipment than that and the knowlege of how to use it.

spencer.kindt
03-23-2011, 02:38 PM
thanks for the heads up! that's what I needed to know!

cutieswift
05-15-2011, 06:51 PM
So after hearing and seeing so many good things about this hike, I made it my adventure of the day. Unfortunately, despite following a very etched in the ground trail for 2 hours, I found nothing! I kept seeing the canyon to the left of me, but the trail never went down into it. Did I miss a turn somewhere? Was I supposed to follow the dried up creek wash to the canyon? Thank you for any help anyone can provide!!

Scott P
05-15-2011, 08:42 PM
I kept seeing the canyon to the left of me, but the trail never went down into it.

There is no trail going left into the canyon from the rim. That's not the way to come in without ropes.

Was I supposed to follow the dried up creek wash to the canyon?

No, you were supposed to follow the wet (not dry) creek up. You shouldn't have been following any dry wash.

cutieswift
05-15-2011, 10:16 PM
it was all dry. even from the trailhead so could be why i got so lost.

jman
05-16-2011, 11:57 AM
it was all dry. even from the trailhead so could be why i got so lost.

That's surprising...even in May. I highly doubt Professor was dry. I did Professor last year in August and it had a moderate flow then.

Do you have a gps track or a map to show us where you went? I'm very curious where you went.

cutieswift
05-22-2011, 10:40 PM
I took this road to the lowest point and followed the trail along the squiggly line. There is a Private ranch along this road, which is about 3 miles east of the Castle Valley turnoff on the 128.

akavalun
05-23-2011, 07:30 AM
I've never been there yet (planning to this summer), but it's pretty easy to see from google earth where you went. Shortly after leaving your car, the trail ends up heading southwest following along a dry wash. You needed to head southeast, following professor creek. There should have been water from the start.

cutieswift
05-29-2011, 09:34 PM
the only water there was in the dam :(