PDA

View Full Version : June 17-19th 2011 Zion Bogleyfest

Rob L
03-16-2011, 02:49 PM
Just thinking ahead, is there a plan for a November 2011 Bogleyfest like there was in Moab 2009?

(I note the various 2010 Fruita posts here (http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38577)and here (http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38157)but I did not see the great trip reports as there were from the 2009 Moab trip (http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?35919).

I know that Iceaxe suggests: "A Bogley fest only requires someone to step up and start organizing" but I am not knowledgeable enough of the requirements to start up such a thing. I also know Moab Mark and others did a lot of work in preparation for the 2009 'fest.

Is there a possibility of another one?

All the best from England,

Rob

Penelope
03-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Someone mentioned there may be a June fest too, but i can't find any posts or info on it here. Am I missing something?

tanya
03-16-2011, 07:48 PM
June is often done in Zion.

nelsonccc
03-16-2011, 08:01 PM

Yes. We've typically done the bogleyfest in june or july. Lots of fun. As the time gets near we'll start to set it up.

IntrepidXJ
03-16-2011, 08:04 PM
I wouldn't mind another Moab Bogleyfest this year......it was fun meeting some of you in 2009 :)

Reverso
03-16-2011, 08:21 PM
That sounds like a lot of fun...would Hanksville be a fun place for it? Or is this an all relaxation event?

Iceaxe
03-16-2011, 08:54 PM
would Hanksville be a fun place for it? Or is this an all relaxation event?

Someone just needs to step-up and take a turn in the barrel. :nod:

I believe the very first Bogley-fest was a 2007 one-day trip to the Black Hole.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?26119

It was a lot of fun. :2thumbs:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13302&stc=1&d=1181610697

ststephen
03-17-2011, 09:16 AM
Last year Kev got us all planning a Zion fest for late May all the way back in the preceding Nov. I've been talking with a few folks about organizing a June trip for this year and it looks like the weekend of June 18/19 works well. The only trouble is that Watchman is basically full already so we'd need a different place for a group BBQ. The year before we did one at a house in Springdale but I don't know who's it was.

I like the mid-June dates best because school is out for my son and we're less likely to be skunked on canyons and hikes due to high CFS flow in the rivers. I will probably drive out this year and stay for longer, i.e. a few days before and/or past the weekend.

blueeyes
03-17-2011, 09:44 AM
It is not as nice a location as Springdale but I am willing to volunteer my place for the BBQ if you like. Just bought a brand new awesome fire pit/grill. :twisted: Should be able to feed an army with this thing.

ststephen
03-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Nice to have Chalet de Cher

Bo_Beck
03-17-2011, 12:52 PM
The year before we did one at a house in Springdale but I don't know who's it was.

Jonathan Zambellas (ZAC Owner) set up by Tom I believe?

Scott P
03-17-2011, 03:07 PM
would Hanksville be a fun place for it?

Not in June and July. Even May can get really hot there. If it were in Hanksville, the latest it would typically be comfortable would be early May. If someone wanted to throw a quick one together for April, it may work.

Don
03-17-2011, 03:34 PM
I'm looking forward to Zion and maybe seeing Chalet de Cher

Don
03-17-2011, 03:35 PM
Or, it seems like I was talking to someone about Labor Day in Moab...? :wink:

Rob L
03-19-2011, 04:20 PM

and

Yes. We've typically done the bogleyfest in june or july. Lots of fun. As the time gets near we'll start to set it up.

June & July I'm in Ohio and Wisconsin respectively, both long trips from the UK, and I can't do another long trip in the heat !! :bandit:

That's one of the reasons I enjoyed my 2008 and 2009 Moab trips in November; at a more weather-tolerant time of year.

Ho-hum.

ratagonia
03-20-2011, 12:16 AM
Jonathan Zambellas (ZAC Owner) set up by Tom I believe?

Yes, we did. Not like there were problems, but it would be best to come up with another place.

Did you try the Group Sites at Watchman? That would be a good place.

Good to set a date early, so you can get things like that, and so people can plan the dates.

T

ststephen
03-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Yes we should have started this earlier, Tom. But I'm going to try to "take a turn in the barrel" as ice says and see if we can still pull this off now.

OK, the proposed date right now is the weekend of June 18&19. Here's what I see as available for a group get together:

Group site in Watchman: only available on Sunday 6/19 (two sites still available)
Individual sites in Watchman: a 5 sites each in loops C and D but also only on Sunday pretty much only for that one night as well.

I know Saturday is probably the preferred choice for a group meal, but maybe Sunday would be acceptable? Another idea floated is trying to grab first-come first-served sites at Gooseberry Mesa.

blueeyes
03-20-2011, 09:07 AM
What about the two public parks in Springdale for a group dinner? I can call tomorrow and see if either are available for reservation that Sat. There is the one behind the town hall and the one by the river.

ststephen
03-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Sounds worth checking out. Thanks!

ratagonia
03-20-2011, 09:58 AM
What about the two public parks in Springdale for a group dinner? I can call tomorrow and see if either are available for reservation that Sat. There is the one behind the town hall and the one by the river.

No alcohol at the town parks. Would kinda put a damper on things.

T

ratagonia
03-20-2011, 10:01 AM
Yes we should have started this earlier, Tom. But I'm going to try to "take a turn in the barrel" as ice says and see if we can still pull this off now.

OK, the proposed date right now is the weekend of June 18&19. Here's what I see as available for a group get together:

Group site in Watchman: only available on Sunday 6/19 (two sites still available)
Individual sites in Watchman: a 5 sites each in loops C and D but also only on Sunday pretty much only for that one night as well.

I know Saturday is probably the preferred choice for a group meal, but maybe Sunday would be acceptable? Another idea floated is trying to grab first-come first-served sites at Gooseberry Mesa.

That spot just up the road from the turnoff to Grafton might be pretty good. Easy to reach with a 2WD vehicle. Not too far away.

But really, the Group spots in Watchman are really a good deal. If you can get one, reserve for 9 (the minimum), then figure out who wants to crash there and pay up for the final count when you check in. It is not the way they normally do things, but it works for them if you tell them what is going on (ie, an un-organized group).

T

blueeyes
03-20-2011, 10:03 AM
No alcohol at the town parks. Would kinda put a damper on things.

T

Well that does! So where does the brewing company throw there shin digs at. For some reason I was thinking it was the park.

ratagonia
03-20-2011, 10:06 AM
Well that does it! So where does the brewing company throw their shindigs at? For some reason I was thinking it was the park.

With certified servers etc. it may be possible to run alcohol events there. Many events take place on the Bit and Spur's lawn. But then we are talking real money....

T

blueeyes
03-20-2011, 10:21 AM
you mean they won't take this stuff that I print off...... that puts a damper on things

dbaxter
03-20-2011, 10:33 AM
If it's June 18-19 Thane and I will be there! Can't wait :clap: And-Paul-if you want any help in planning or getting anything ready, I would love to help out.

ststephen
03-20-2011, 04:05 PM
Alright! The group is growing already! It will be great to meet you and Thane, Dana.

Seems like we need to do the trade-off between a Sunday party at the group site and Saturday at a residence elsewhere, potentially as far away as St. George. The advantage of Watchman as compared to St. George is that it is quicker to get there after we all finish our day's fun. A residence offers more amenities and folks not on vacation will prefer Saturday over Sunday. Let's get a quick feel for what people prefer and if it's Watchman I'll make the res on Monday.

dbaxter
03-20-2011, 05:18 PM
Paul, I think we met at last year's bogleyfest in Zion. We were there briefly for the pot-luck with our boys.

ststephen
03-20-2011, 05:37 PM
D'oh, yes I remember now Dana!

I'm going to give this until about mid-day tomorrow and then I'll book Watchman on Sunday for the BBQ. I think that's the best option available to us. But if anyone wants to attend the BBQ and just can't do it Sunday we do have a couple of options in St. George. So speak up! Anyway, I think we're on for some fun in June! :clap:

Scott P
03-20-2011, 05:38 PM
OK, the proposed date right now is the weekend of June 18&19.

Dang; I'm leaving for Alaska June 16.

Is anyone interested in more than one gathering?

Don
03-20-2011, 07:44 PM

I still think we could put something on the calendar for this fall...

canyonphile
03-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Alright! The group is growing already! It will be great to meet you and Thane, Dana.

Seems like we need to do the trade-off between a Sunday party at the group site and Saturday at a residence elsewhere, potentially as far away as St. George. The advantage of Watchman as compared to St. George is that it is quicker to get there after we all finish our day's fun. A residence offers more amenities and folks not on vacation will prefer Saturday over Sunday. Let's get a quick feel for what people prefer and if it's Watchman I'll make the res on Monday.

Oooooh! This is exciting; I could actually make a Bogleyfest this year, seein' as we're living in the area (sort of) again! :clap: I mentioned the date to my man, and he doesn't see any reason we couldn't make it. Haven't been to Zion since June of '06, and I'd love to meet some Bogley peeps in person finally :2thumbs:.

We would be coming from the east, so not having to drive to St. George to stay would be preferable. A groups site at Watchman (that is the NPS campground, right?) sounds great. In years past, when the park campground was full, we've stayed at the private campground in Springdale proper. Not exciting, but has the bennies of showers and being within easy walk of everything in town. So, that's probably where we'd stay on Sat. night, if available. But, we're flexible.

Wasatch
03-21-2011, 05:25 AM

I'd be up for something in the fall as well. North Wash or Robbers Roost areas would be great that time of year. Even the Cedar Mesa area.

accadacca
03-21-2011, 10:17 AM
There is no reason to not plan several BogleyFest's. :popcorn:

If you plan it, they will come. :haha:

blueeyes
03-21-2011, 10:42 AM

So true!

p40whk
03-21-2011, 12:10 PM

I've been looking for a reason to burn my FF miles just to get back to Zion. If you guys firm this up, I'll try and get flights out of Cincinnati to attend. Not sure but I may be able to talk a friend into joining me.

ststephen
03-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Well no one complained about Sunday so I reserved Watchman Group Site E001 for Sunday June 19. We have another Fest officially on the books! :clap:

Tom: The minimum is now 20 so it came to $60. If we get more folks in attendance we can up the group size. Also, the site only allows for 8 cars, but they say there is ample overflow parking in other parts of Watchman.

Scott: Sorry this conflicts with your Alaska trip (have fun, BTW!). But, if you plan a November fest I'll try to make that one :nod:

p40whk: cash in those miles. We're cleared for take off!

When I get a chance I'll start a separate thread on just this fest and starting thinking about hikes and permits and food, etc. We can keep this thread going as the breeding ground for fests.

abirken
03-21-2011, 08:07 PM
[QUOTE=ststephen;442366]Nice to have Chalet de Cher

blueeyes
03-21-2011, 08:36 PM
YES! And I will be there that weekend for sure! Looking forward to it....I got first dibs on a nice comfy bed in Chalet de Chere'! She told me so. :lol8: :nod::clap:

Don
03-21-2011, 09:37 PM
June in Zion planning thread:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?49743-Zion-Fest-June-18-amp-19

:clap:

tylerhirshfeld
03-23-2011, 02:04 PM

Well hell, Let's plan an Alaska Bogleyfest as well. Lots of untouched stuff up there...:nod:

tanya
05-02-2011, 01:57 PM
It's still baseball season and being a good mom I have to go to the tournament that weekend. It's a good time to have the Zion Bogleyfest though! Maybe I will make it to another one later this season. Enjoy! I have so many mom duties lately! :nod:

ststephen
05-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Sorry to miss you this time, Tanya. Some of us will be around before and after the weekend if you can get away for a hike or meal or even a drink.

tanya
05-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Thanks. Will let you know. :)

The Good Cop
05-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Hi all, my friend & I are considering getting ourselves out there at that time but due to odd work schedules we'd be available Sun-Fri. Anyone thinking about staying over the week after? Or before for that matter? I'd be happy to meet folks in person and join the campfire & barbeque since I'm coming all the way from Michigan!