PDA

View Full Version : NCAA penalties

uintahiker
03-15-2011, 03:11 PM
With the recent OSU/Jim Tressell thing, then the Tennessee basketball thing, and the USC improprieties, etc etc I've been thinking about penalties for cheating programs. I've come up with a few conclusions:

1. Forfeited wins are absolutely meaningless.
2. You've gotta tie some of the penalties directly to the coach somehow. Look what Carroll did- he saw it coming and jumped to the NFL. Make it so he'll be hit hard if he wants to come back to the college level.
3. If you're gonna take scholarships from the sports teams, give it to the band or some other kid. After all, aren't college sports all about the student athlete? :haha:
4. Self reporting is much better than getting caught, and penalties should reflect it.

Kent K25
03-15-2011, 07:29 PM
With the recent OSU/Jim Tressell thing, then the Tennessee basketball thing, and the USC improprieties, etc etc I've been thinking about penalties for cheating programs. I've come up with a few conclusions:

1. Forfeited wins are absolutely meaningless.
2. You've gotta tie some of the penalties directly to the coach somehow. Look what Carroll did- he saw it coming and jumped to the NFL. Make it so he'll be hit hard if he wants to come back to the college level.
3. If you're gonna take scholarships from the sports teams, give it to the band or some other kid. After all, aren't college sports all about the student athlete? :haha:
4. Self reporting is much better than getting caught, and penalties should reflect it.

#3 is EXCELLENT. Sure they lose a scholarship for an athlete but they don't lose that many I assume...don't let them sit on it, make them give it out to someone else. Awesome idea!

Iceaxe
03-15-2011, 07:36 PM
If you really wanna enforce the rules you need the help/support of the NFL/NBA... anything else is just smoke and mirrors.