PDA

View Full Version : Conditions Ice Cube Canyon (The Maze) Las Vegas?

tcott
03-15-2011, 03:04 PM
Has anyone done Ice Cube Canyon (The Maze) down by Vegas recently? Might check it out tomorrow and was wondering about conditions.

Wasatch
03-15-2011, 04:46 PM
I've done it back in 04 in March. Lot's of snow in the drop down into the bowl. Water is very very cold, and lots of it.

Bubbles
03-16-2011, 12:57 AM
I did it in May and there was still some snow below Rap 1. In fact, due to Wx similar to the wednesday forecast, we were cold and slow enough that we were forced to bail out over the sneak route ridge into Ice Box canyon due to impending darkness (even with a 0605 start). I hear the Brennen escape route is just as bad. Very cold and 40mph winds gusting us off balance, almost had to bivy, lots of 4th class/rappels. Several hours route finding and rappelling off an exposed ridge in the dark fighting fatigue, hypo, and trying to communicate over the windy insanity.

Based on past Wx, it should be full of water, maybe some snow/ice and it will be cold as hell, especially the entire second half with its many long swims. In terms of time, water, and # of rappels, I consider it to not be all that different from an Imlay sneak in full wet conditions. Not that I have much to compare it to otherwise.

The biggest issue by far will be time and daylight. Only sensible way I know to do the whole thing (from the bottom via rocky gap rd) is to phone in an overnight permit and do the entire approach hike in the dark. Add time for the probability that anchors will need to be re-rigged, coupled with all the swims in the second half, and it starts to sound like a SufferFest. Bring plenty of spare headlamp batteries.

I would consider you either ballsy or a masochist. Or both.