PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Phones Affordable?

tmartenst
03-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Interesting look at it. Not bad if you are out in the wild often.

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2011/03/12/satellite-phone-cheeper-iphone/

Satellite Phone cheeper then your iphone?

By Tim Konrad (http://unofficialnetworks.com/author/tim-konrad/)

DiscGo
03-12-2011, 05:16 PM
That is a pretty sweet deal. Thanks for posting it.

goofball
03-15-2011, 12:26 AM
anyone know how much battery life to expect ? will it hold a charge for 2-3 weeks if only turned on and used a few minutes a day ?

Deathcricket
03-15-2011, 07:58 AM
I say we all chip in and get Carpey Bigs one as a small thank you for the amazing footage he provides us. :2thumbs:

DOSS
03-15-2011, 08:26 AM
anyone know how much battery life to expect ? will it hold a charge for 2-3 weeks if only turned on and used a few minutes a day ?

they are supposed to have a 7-14 hour standby time so I would assume if the battery was good and the phone was off it would last that long easy.

CarpeyBiggs
03-15-2011, 09:54 AM
too bad they are globalstar phones... there's a reason they are so affordable. until globalstar can fix their issues with duplex communications, they will be considered somewhat unreliable.

River
03-15-2011, 10:03 AM
Has anyone actually tried Globalstar in the last year since they put up new satellites? I know it's been bad in the past, but wondering if they are getting better?

CarpeyBiggs
03-15-2011, 10:14 AM
as far as i know, the second generation satellites haven't been launched yet. or maybe just barely if they have. i don't think reliability will increase until they can get a large fleet up there. i think they only have 4 birds in their first launch, if it's even happened yet.

River
03-15-2011, 05:19 PM
Bummer, would be a great deal for voice and data if it was usable. Used one in N Idaho a few years ago and it basically didn't work.

moab mark
03-18-2011, 07:37 PM
Their service is getting a bad rap. I have one of these phones and yes sometimes you have to wait a few minutes or even ten to get service but I have never not been able to make a call. Used it several times out in the Roost last week and had no problemo. I hope they never fix the service and do not go bankrupt. I get dirt cheap sat service and am able to make calls when necessary. :clap: