PDA

View Full Version : News Struggling Utes fire Coach Jim Boylen

accadacca
03-12-2011, 02:00 PM
No surprises here...

--

SALT LAKE CITY -- After consecutive losing seasons, the speculation about Utah Utes head coach Jim Boylen's future has been answered.

University of Utah Director of Athletics Dr. Chris Hill announced Saturday that he has relieved men's basketball coach Jim Boylen of his duties. A national search for Boylen's replacement will begin immediately.

Boylen completed his fourth season at Utah on Mar. 10 at the 2011 Mountain West Conference Basketball Tournament, where the Utes lost in the first round to San Diego State. Utah finished with a 13-18 overall record (6-10 MWC), the second-straight losing season for the Utes, who were 14-17 in 2009-10.

"I feel it is time we go in a different direction with our program," said Hill. "Utah basketball has a long history of national success and I anticipate a very strong pool of candidates for the position. I appreciate the efforts of Coach Boylen and his staff, including the emphasis he placed on academics, which is an important part of our department's culture."

Boylen, who was Tom Izzo's top assistant at Michigan State from 2005-07, and a 13-year NBA assistant prior, compiled a 69-60 overall record (32-32 in MWC play) as Utah's head coach. His best season was his second, when the 2008-09 Utes went 24-10, tied for the MWC regular season title and won the conference championship. That squad earned a No. 5 seed into the NCAA Tournament, falling in the first round to Arizona.

http://m.ksl.com/story.php?sid=14702691

Deuce
03-12-2011, 03:02 PM
I have trouble being happy when I hear someone loses their job, but at the end of the day....it was time to part ways with Boylen. I REALLY hope the Utes can find someone to get the program back on track.

Iceaxe
03-13-2011, 11:54 AM
I have trouble being happy when I hear someone loses their job.

I wouldn't cry to hard for Boylen.... he has a $2 million dollar parachute.

uintahiker
03-14-2011, 08:52 AM
I thought they let Giac go a year too soon. I'm kinda thinking the same thing with Boylen.

live2ride
03-14-2011, 09:45 AM
he will bounce back just fine, utes should have a bright future with the right coach in the pac-12