PDA

View Full Version : Slots that are not quite worth the effort

uintahiker
03-09-2011, 09:18 AM
After reading a several recent threads, I thought of a new thread that might be useful. What are some of those slots you've done that you'd think long and hard about before doing again, and why? It might be a long & hot slog for a short amount of goods, a bad experience in the slot, or just about anything else.

There will probably be as much disagreement here as a discussion over the best slot, but I'm interested in what you've got to say.

jwurst
03-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Adobe Swale is well published but we found it to be not worth the effort EXCEPT for the hike out. It is really odd to think about, but if I did it again I would be looking forward to the long hot slog back to the car for than the canyon itself. The way those sandstone layers formed switchbacks like a prepared trail was simply amazing.

trackrunner
03-09-2011, 10:09 AM
similar thread. I'd add blue pools & Not Shear to the list.
http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?27923-Most-worthless-canyon-routes&p=282560&viewfull=1

jman
03-09-2011, 10:45 AM
U-turn in Moab, and Medieval Chamber. The hike out is nice following Negro Bill Canyon, but the bang for buck is highly disappointing.

moab mark
03-09-2011, 11:26 AM
EARDLEY!!!!!!!!!! The Day from HELLLLLLLLLL.

jman
03-09-2011, 11:46 AM

X2. The new slogan for it: "Eardley - Not even once!"

Scott Card
03-09-2011, 12:11 PM
X3

Iceaxe
03-09-2011, 02:10 PM
U-turn in Moab

YEAH!!! I can hardly believe I climbed all the way up there just to have sex with the hot young stripper wife on top of the mesa.... :getiton:

best canyon ever! :2thumbs:

If your not having fun you are doing it wrong!!!! :lol8:

Wasatch
03-09-2011, 03:57 PM
I've only done a few in Moab, but so far not worth it, but I could be wrong.

jman
03-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Pleiades, Granary, and Rock of Ages are great! MMI is another decent one too.

U-Turn, and oh...just remembered Big Horn was on the do not do again list. But but but...the hike to big horn was very enjoyable especially 'the tunnel.'

shaggy125
03-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Any canyon in Moab. :haha:

chabidiah
03-09-2011, 04:54 PM
X4 for Eardley, at one point we thought about setting up a new rap station just above the first rap of Eardley, but decidely not worth it...Also Fat Man's in August.

Wasatch
03-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Pleiades, Granary, and Rock of Ages are great! MMI is another decent one too.

U-Turn, and oh...just remembered Big Horn was on the do not do again list. But but but...the hike to big horn was very enjoyable especially 'the tunnel.'

Those are still on my list though, lol What I've done there is Camel Toe (waste of time), Dragonfly (not bad, the last rap was cool), Big Horn (waste of time), Tierdrop (waste of time). In my book these are not slot canyons/canyons, a buddy called them technical wash's.

Wasatch
03-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Any canyon in Moab. :haha:

So far I would have to agree with ya.

goofball
03-09-2011, 05:12 PM
slideanide - angelic last rap my ass. and just overall boring.

leprechauns - all 'em.

bluejohn - main fork pretty nonumental and lower slot is a lot of sand slogging for a very short section w/ a long hike out. beautiful, but not worth price of admission.

neon - seemed very disappointing for all it takes to get in.

mrbrejcha
03-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Eardley for sure.

Everything in Moab except the Furnace.

Hog 3

Telephone

Canyons are kinda like pizza though...even when it's bad, it's good.

tylerhirshfeld
03-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Camel Toe in Moab. 1 rappel and a 100 foot long slot.

Matt Lemke
03-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Zebra and Tunnel Slots
Both very short, long sandy approach and they were completely filled with water about 33 degrees!

ratagonia
03-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Egypt 3.... done it once, haven't 'gotten around' to doing it again. I guess if you are not into technical slots, it could be quite adventurous, but for those of us who are, it is rather over-hyped. :moses:

Scott P
03-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Almost all canyons are worth doing at least once.

Poncho Wash (San Rafael Swell)-thought it might be good and it wasn't.

Crack Canyon (San Rafael Swell)-over rated.

Rock Canyon (near Hite)-supposedly good narrows were a let down. The canyon kept teasing us. It would look like it would get good and then open back up again.

Most Moab "slots" I've been to aren't great. Rock of Ages is a pretty good route though. Dragonfly is OK (for Moab). Professor Creek is pretty fun and the Onion Creek area slots are good (with spectacular scenery).

Anyone else done Milkweed and Meriwitica in AZ? Big let down.

Antelope Canyon is now a let down.

As far as Eardley goes, mostly only those doing it the dumb way are the ones complaining. Hiking up slope and down the chute to expect a good technical canyon is the dumb way. The smart way is to come in from near the head and explore all the nice areas between and no chutes to climb down.

ratagonia
03-09-2011, 08:52 PM
The smart way is to come in from near the head and explore all the nice areas between and no chutes to climb down.

Done that. Was disappointed. The final bit was the only real technical stuff (though we had a fun trip walking the whole thing).

Did it once. Don't need to do it again.

Tom :moses:

moab mark
03-09-2011, 09:04 PM
telephone x2

DWayne27
03-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Canyons are kinda like pizza though...even when it's bad, it's good.

I tend to agree here. The only "canyon" I have been really upset about wasting my time on is "Tunnel". Zebra is obviously not real exciting, with lots of boring sand slogging, but to me it was worth it at least once to get the obligatory pictures. If you arent super in to it for that reason, then a waste. However, even being out there, I thought hey, we may as well go check out "tunnel". Maybe for someone who has never hiked anywhere ever it might be cool, but if you have ever done anything remotely like canyoneering, "tunnel" is a total waste.

Moab stuff tends to definitely not be slotty, but most are not much work and you end up with some nice views and a few rappels, so not bad in my book.

Everything else I have done I must say I would more than likely do them again

qedcook
03-10-2011, 08:19 AM
What's wrong with me? When I did Eardly a few Aprils ago, it was chocked full of water and one of the funnest canyons I've ever done!

I agree with Camel toe, and every other 'canyon' in Moab, except the new northern ones and maybe Dragonfly.

The way to do Lower Bluejohn is go down to the last rappel and reverse the route. Don't go down, way too long of a hike out.

Iceaxe
03-10-2011, 08:35 AM
What's wrong with me? When I did Eardly a few Aprils ago, it was chocked full of water and one of the funnest canyons I've ever done!

I think the problem is you are not a pussy that is afraid of a little hiking.... :haha:

I like Eardley, fun slot and I always get awesome pictures and have a great time with my friends!

It's fun to see what some consider a waste of time... I can't believe someone put the Leprechauns on their list.

Lots of canyons I'm happy I've done but I probably will not repeat....

I don't think I've ever done a canyon I thought was a waste of time.

trackrunner
03-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Behunin-ish. And we all know how much I like that worthless excuse for a wasted day

I don't think I've ever done a canyon I thought was a waste of time.

There shane admits he likes behunin and he was only making that comment to yank everyone's chain that loves behunin. :haha:

Iceaxe
03-10-2011, 05:01 PM
There shane admits he likes behunin and he was only making that comment to yank everyone's chain that loves behunin. :haha:

I'm very happy I've done Behunin.... but it doesn't mean I'll be going back any time real soon.....

Here is my big bitch about Behunin... COMPARED to the other slots in Zion it leaves a lot to be desire. So I really hate to see folks visit from back east or anther country and waste a day in Behunin when their time and money is so valuable.

And I see it all the time... some first time visitor to Zion has Behunin at the top of the to-do list because they hear so much about it....

Now if someone asks me if they should do their fifth lap of Pinecreek, third lap of the Subway, or their first Behunin I'll recommend Behunin.

Here is what I actually say about it on my website

Behunin is NOT one of my favorite Zion canyons. If your time is limited and you are new to Zion canyoneering, I suggest choosing a different canyon.

Scott P
03-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Done that. Was disappointed.

?????

This is what your own website says:

http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/swell/eardley.htm

3 out of 3 stars.

Amazing. Fantastic. Marvelous.

This is one of the primo adventures in the Swell. It descends from the height of the Swell, through a tremendous variety of narrows to a technical pothole section. After a few raps and some cold swims, you pop out at the bottom and cut through the reef to the San Rafael Desert.

The final bit was the only real technical stuff (though we had a fun trip walking the whole thing).

This is true. Only a very short section of the canyon is technical. But, there are many sections of narrows and some nice features. The hikable part is quite nice. It seems like the whole "problem" of Eardley being rated so low is that people are only looking for the very short technical section and ignoring everything else.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++

Don't go down, way too long of a hike out.

Seeing the pictographs on the same hike is a nice touch though and the last rap in Bluejohn is a neat one.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++

I think this thread proves that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I will probably never understand why Mystery Canyon is Tom's favorite in Zion and I will never understand why Shane doesn't like Behunin and yet likes Moab "canyons" such as U-Turn, Tierdrop or even Camel Toe (I haven't done Behunin, but photographs make me suspect that it is way better than most Moab Canyons).

I suppose Tom doesn't know why I like Egypt 3, Cowboy or Buckwater and I know Shane doesn't understand why I sometimes like to do the canyons a long way from the roads and hotels.

I think everyone I know (who has done it) likes Imlay though.

ratagonia
03-10-2011, 06:06 PM
?????

This is what your own website says:

http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/swell/eardley.htm

3 out of 3 stars.

Amazing. Fantastic. Marvelous.

This is one of the primo adventures in the Swell. It descends from the height of the Swell, through a tremendous variety of narrows to a technical pothole section. After a few raps and some cold swims, you pop out at the bottom and cut through the reef to the San Rafael Desert.

This is true. Only a very short section of the canyon is technical. But, there are many sections of narrows and some nice features. The hikable part is quite nice.

One reason I am working on a new website - the old one is REALLY out of date.

Tom

Matt Lemke
03-10-2011, 06:12 PM
And now I know who Tom is :haha:
I have used your website many MANY times... and I read about you and Scott in Kelsey's books
You guys are incredible!

Scott P
03-10-2011, 06:28 PM
One reason I am working on a new website -

I guess I don't understand. From your website, it sounds like you enjoyed the canyon and at the time and thought it was pretty good. Were you disappointed at the time that you did the canyon or did that come later when you did a lot of better canyons (I agree that there are better canyons)?

northernoutpost
03-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Scott-you just haven't done "enough" of Antelope ;-). Not that it can be remedied at the present time.

Personal thought is that I have never had a bad day in a canyon. That includes exploratory mishits with 200m per hour bushwhacks at the end, Class C non-events with 100m long enclosed sections, and a few canyons where I've found myself managing monumentally stupid moves that could colour the whole experience. They're all good. Even Fry and its "blink and you'll miss them" narrows, even Cowboy in August, even "shudder" Behunin and the Moab-area canyons. The only unworthy canyons are the ones I've driven past, using the feeble excuse of "I gotta work" to justify the avoidance.

Oh, except West and Aztec and the Trou. They suck. Don't even think of doing them (unless you're going to bring me)

ratagonia
03-10-2011, 07:12 PM
I guess I don't understand. From your website, it sounds like you enjoyed the canyon and at the time and thought it was pretty good. Were you disappointed at the time that you did the canyon or did that come later when you did a lot of better canyons (I agree that there are better canyons)?

Most of the beta on the "OLD" site was written after doing the canyon for the first time, maybe the second. My standards were much lower in those days... 2001 was it? I do think that one section of canyon is quite good, when the pools are full. But, really, it is a royal pain to get to it.

In context, in the Swell, it is quite a good canyon. But I don't really go to the Swell much anymore either.

Tom

asdf
03-10-2011, 07:19 PM
I'm with Scott, Upper Eardley is an awesome place.
I have hiked it a half dozen times and have only encountered one other group of hikers.

Feel free to make Eardley and Crawford Draw one star or less on the new site. :cool2:

moab mark
03-10-2011, 07:21 PM
In context, in the Swell, it is quite a good canyon. But I don't really go to the Swell much anymore either.

Tom

I do not like the sound of that. I haven't done any other swell canyons then Z Gravity and Eardley. If Eardley is one of the better uuugggghhhh. Z Gravity ruled.

ratagonia
03-10-2011, 07:57 PM
I do not like the sound of that. I haven't done any other swell canyons then Z Gravity and Eardley. If Eardley is one of the better uuugggghhhh. Z Gravity ruled.

Z Gravity is good. Quandary Direct, Knotted Rope and The Squeeze... and... and... uh, that is about it, isn't it? Any fans of other canyons????

Tom

ratagonia
03-10-2011, 07:59 PM
I'm with Scott, Upper Eardley is an awesome place.
I have hiked it a half dozen times and have only encountered one other group of hikers.

Feel free to make Eardley and Crawford Draw one star or less on the new site. :cool2:

The problem is, to make it onto the new site, I probably have to do it again, so... it is unlikely to make the cut.

T :moses:

Iceaxe
03-10-2011, 09:47 PM
I will never understand why Shane doesn't like Behunin and yet likes Moab "canyons"

Because Moab is a great place to play with my family, noobs and kids.... we can do 2 "routes" (I don't call most of them canyons) before noon. Grab lunch in Moab... and than raft the Moab Daily in two man kayaks in the afternoon... all before drinking margaritas with the hot young stripper wife around the pool in the evening before hitting up a nice restaurant for dinner and a soft bed for sleeping..... what's not to understand?

:cool2:

Iceaxe
03-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Z Gravity is good. Quandary Direct, Knotted Rope and The Squeeze... and... and... uh, that is about it, isn't it? Any fans of other canyons????

I'd add the Black Box, Cable (with water) and Baptist to your list.

Also hard to leave LWH off the list, its a classic.

shaggy125
03-11-2011, 12:49 AM
Ya, Leprechauns, really? The only less buck for the bang might be keyhole, or Blarney? Others not worth the effort for me were Shillelagh, Right fork of Blarney (left is short but good), Seven Mile, and the East fork of Scorpion.

Scott P
03-11-2011, 05:57 AM

The Gem Canyons are probably the best in the Swell if overall scenery is the criteria. Upper Black Box via rockfall, Lower Black Box, Chute of Muddy Creek and Little Wildhorse are certainly (mostly non-technical) classics. Chimney Canyon is quite scenic. Cable is pretty good.

chabidiah
03-12-2011, 09:31 PM
The title of the thread is "slots that are not quite worth the effort". I liked Eardley but thought the hike wasn't worth the slot section. I might do it again but not until I have crossed a bunch of others off the list. My canyon time is very limited and so I would say that Eardley would not be worth it. Think of all the other great slots in the area....

I agree that every canyon is worth doing once, but some are best for "bottom of the list",

its kind of like the red headed step child... deep down you have feelings for them but you don't care if you see them...

qedcook
03-13-2011, 05:38 PM
And now I know who Tom is :haha:
I have used your website many MANY times... and I read about you and Scott in Kelsey's books
You guys are incredible!

Bow down and worship at the altar of TOM, you mere mortal!!! :hail2thechief: jk. Tom and Scott and Kelsey and Iceaxe have all made their contributions (and occasional detractions) to the canyoneering community, for which we're all appreciative.

Reverso
03-16-2011, 08:31 PM
I agree that they're all worth a shot and better than sitting in the office...but...

Three Canyon was disappointing and a long way to haul a rope for near nothing...would have been better with a shuttle and leaving the ropes...nothing technical about this canyon other than a rap in...then it's pretty much a wide canyon hike for 3 miles before an easy 5.4 climb out...Scenic and pretty but not really an adventure...

East Fork of Blue John was a lot of fun but I did it without a wetsuit and the water was neck deep and lots of ass freezing swimming..really my bad but it sucked bad...be prepared...

I still loved the experiences..I guess I am easily entertained...:crazy: