PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from the East coast

Penelope
03-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Hey everyone!
New to the site. Looking for travel buddies for canyoneering this Spring/Summer that do mid- to moderately technical hikes, slot canyons, remote camping, long weekends and long-neck beers. I live in Northeast Florida and have no canyoneering buddies out here. If anyone is planning a long weekend type outing any time from May through August, hit me up if you wouldn't mind an extra person to help with gas and beer money. :)

I'm no slouch, but I haven't done repelling or anything super technical. I'm a personal trainer/boxing fitness instructor and marathon runner, so physically I can handle most anything. Last Summer I did a long weekend in Utah (Muddy Creek area in San Rafael Swell), with two intense 12 hour hikes. One included an amazing and seemingly endless in and out pothole marathon through the slot canyon.

Send me a message on gmail at am.route if you'd like to chat about a trip or just to say hi!

Ciao!
Ann Marie (aka Penelope)

blueeyes
03-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Welcome to the site Penelope!

Penelope
03-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks, Blueeyes! :wink:

ststephen
03-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Welcome, Penelope! Perhaps there's interest in a June Zion Bogley fest again this year? That would be a good opportunity for you to meet folks and get out and try some technical canyons.

accadacca
03-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Welcome to the hood. :cool:

JP
03-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Howdy fellow Floridan :haha:

tanya
03-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Welcome!:clap:

Penelope
03-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Thanks JP! Where in FL? Jacksonville area here.

Penelope
03-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Welcome, Penelope! Perhaps there's interest in a June Zion Bogley fest again this year? That would be a good opportunity for you to meet folks and get out and try some technical canyons.

Sounds great! I didn't see any info on it, but I'll look closer. Thanks!

JP
03-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Thanks JP! Where in FL? Jacksonville area here.
West Coastie :haha:

lofty
03-15-2011, 09:13 PM
Hi Penelope... I'll be in Utah in May....maybe our paths could cross

lofty
03-15-2011, 09:15 PM

How about one in May :) Would love to meet more of you as well.. but I'm back working up north by June

jaskotmb
03-18-2011, 09:35 PM
Hey, new member here as well from North Carolina. I've had a halfway decent amount of trad climbing experience and enough gear, but new to canyoneering. I made a trip to Utah a few years back and have been itching to get back and get into some slots since then. As I'm "in between" jobs right now, I'm planning to be out in Utah in June and July and would love to have some canyon partners to hit up some beginner style technical slots. Also plan on doing a lot of biking, camping, etc.

Ann Marie - we'll have to stay in touch and I can let you know some more specifics once it gets closer; it'd be great if we could meet up! I've got a few east coast climbing buddies who may come out for a bit too, the more the merrier (well, not really, but more than one is merrier at least).

blueeyes
03-19-2011, 06:10 AM
Welcome jaskotmb!

JP
03-19-2011, 07:11 AM
Howdy & Welcome :2thumbs: