PDA

View Full Version : News Apple to unveil iOS 5 and iPad 2 March 2

accadacca
02-27-2011, 03:03 PM
http://www.callingallgeeks.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/apple-ipad-2-march-2-event.png

Apple is planning to announce the iOS 5 and the iPad 2 during a media event on March 2, according to engadget.* The iPad 2 is Apple’s latest tablet computer in the final stages of development, and the iOS is the latest operating system that runs iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches.

According to engadget, both the iPad 2 and the iOS 5 will be featured at the media event Apple s holding on March 2.* The iPad 2 will feature a thinner body, a higher resolution screen and at least one front-facing camera with the possibility of a back-facing camera in addition. *

Engadet’s sources also report other major features of the iPad 2. These features include the debut of the Apple A5 chip, which will also likely be featured in the iPhone 5.* The A5 processor is currently best known as the multi-cored successor to the A4 processor, which powers the original iPad and iPhone 4.

Sources for Engadget also practically guaranteed the unveiling of Apple’s newest iOS in some shape or form at the same event.* Engadget has few details on the new operating system, which they are calling “iOS 5.”* However, it seems likely that it will be used in the next generation of Apple’s mobile devices, including both the iPad 2 and iPhone 5.

These rumors should be taken seriously because engadget deemed their sources “dead right.”* Engadget has been outstanding with breaking rumors in the past, most notably when they obtained the famous iPhone 4 prototype last year.

DiscGo
03-02-2011, 10:22 AM
It looks really good.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/02/live-from-apples-ipad-2-event/

DiscGo
03-02-2011, 10:24 AM
I have been holding out for a Motorola Xoom but it kind of irks me that the Xoom isn't ready and is on the market (no flash yet, required update for MicroSD card reader to work, doesn't have the advertised 4g card in it yet and requires you to send the Xoom back in the future after it is read, slow rotation, etc.). I am now thinking long and hard about getting an iPad instead of a Xoom.

I'm torn because I really prefer Android to iOS and I believe that HoneyComb is the future of Tablets, but Apple has it down right now and for less money.

accadacca
03-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Of course I'll be upgrading. The new A5 chip with double the speed is my top selling point. I really like the new snazzy magnetic cover as well. :hail2thechief:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

DiscGo
03-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Here is the video of Steve Jobs announcing it:
http://news.cnet.com/1606-2_3-50101065.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

DiscGo
03-02-2011, 12:15 PM
What does he mean that the table with a dual core processor to ship in volume?

accadacca
03-02-2011, 01:51 PM
What does he mean that the table with a dual core processor to ship in volume?
The first tablet with a dual core chip to ship in significant numbers.

DiscGo
03-02-2011, 02:58 PM
My question is why is he discounting the Motorola Xoom?

stefan
03-02-2011, 06:33 PM
My question is why is he discounting the Motorola Xoom?

he's not discounting the xoom's being the first dual core (hence the additional phrase). i'm think he's just trying to claim that they're not going to sell them in significant quantities (initially) whereas the ipad 2 will ship/sell significant quantities immediately (and will sell in 26 countries by the end of march). seems more of a selling point (and jab?) rather than a real claim.

accadacca
03-02-2011, 06:42 PM
Man is it thin. It is thinner then the iPhone 4. :eek2:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/02/live-from-apples-ipad-2-event/

DiscGo
03-02-2011, 08:29 PM
I wonder why they didn't announce how much RAM it has. Do you think they left the original 225 MB?

stefan
03-02-2011, 08:56 PM
I wonder why they didn't announce how much RAM it has. Do you think they left the original 225 MB?

i am guessing at least 512 like iPhone 4. 1G would be great

ars says this:

"The several Apple reps that we spoke with in the briefing area were not willing to give up details about how much RAM the device has; one representative said that those details "aren't important" and that the company would rather keep that under wraps to focus attention on the new A5 processor instead."

DiscGo
03-02-2011, 09:34 PM
I wonder if Apple discovered the RAM to be a battery issue and for that reason didn't overload it with too much RAM (though I don't know how much battery RAM could really take over processor and GPU).

I heard that there will be 2 iPads this year. An iPad 3 is slated to come out in fall that is suppose to be amazing. That really is cool, but it kind of sucks for me because I feel like I can only buy one tablet for the next two years and I can't decide between an iPad and one of the new Honeycomb tablets.

Scott Card
03-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Wait, there is a iPad 3 this year too? Well that messes everything up...Why the 2 if they are doing the 3 this year too?

accadacca
03-02-2011, 10:15 PM
#3 will have a retina display like the iPhone 4 and who knows what else. It will also sync up with the iPhone launches. iPhone 5 will go at the same time. Both will probably launch with IOS5.

Scott Card
03-02-2011, 10:17 PM
Sounds like there is not a real good reason to get the iPad 2.

jman
03-02-2011, 10:35 PM
same old Apple, right?

sure a faster processor is nice, and a new camera...but really that's it. Oh, and don't forget about the ground-breaking new apps too...pfft. whatev. Anywho... It seems like the Ipad2 is similar to the Iphone 3G to 3GS upgrade. $200 more dollars to upgrade to a phone that can do video! wow...

But fanboys will go crazy even if they did nothing new, except add a mute button for example, and they would still sell it for crazy expensive and would be gone in seconds.

I wanna slap a Apple logo on my plain white coffee mug and sell it to Accadacca for at least $300.
Think he will buy it? hehe.:lol8:

I know...maybe if I slap a Apple Logo on my shirt, women will flock to my "premium" status and body...eh? good thinking?!

stefan
03-03-2011, 06:08 AM
same old Apple, right?

sure a faster processor is nice, and a new camera...but really that's it. Oh, and don't forget about the ground-breaking new apps too...pfft. whatev. Anywho... It seems like the Ipad2 is similar to the Iphone 3G to 3GS upgrade. $200 more dollars to upgrade to a phone that can do video! wow...

But fanboys will go crazy even if they did nothing new, except add a mute button for example, and they would still sell it for crazy expensive and would be gone in seconds.

I wanna slap a Apple logo on my plain white coffee mug and sell it to Accadacca for at least $300.
Think he will buy it? hehe.:lol8:

I know...maybe if I slap a Apple Logo on my shirt, women will flock to my "premium" status and body...eh? good thinking?!

:sleeping:

i think apple is paying more attention to the millions of new people buying apple products while you're fixated on "fanboys" (every time apple releases a product)

stefan
03-03-2011, 06:51 AM

lots of rumors swirling about though nothing clearcut. jobs calls 2011 the year of ipad 2. if in the fall they were to introduce an ipad 2 with a higher resolution screen (perhaps at a higher price) that would be worth waiting for. (there was rumor of higher res screens being delayed.) but they may not release an ipad. the fall is when they introduce the new ipods each year. i think it's possible they could release a new ipod touch-like device that's good for gaming with a higher resolution screen that has a little larger dimensions (but not 7"). (i'm not interested in gaming.) apple is trying to maintain their lead on tablets, ebook readers, and gaming devices and nintendo is about to release a gaming device that produces 3-D stereoscopic images without the need for glasses.

one thing you can be fairly certain of: apple will release at least one new ipad each year. you can keep waiting until they release the specific features you're interested in.

DiscGo
03-03-2011, 08:41 AM
iPad 3 is also rumored to have "Thunderbold" or "Light Peak" technology like the new Macbook Pros.

jman
03-03-2011, 08:49 AM
:sleeping:

i think apple is paying more attention to the millions of new people buying apple products while you're fixated on "fanboys" (every time apple releases a product)

Stefan, you are misunderstanding me....I think Apple's obvious business plan is very attractive and quite smart (hence my previous snarky comments). And apple loves those people who are MORE THAN willing to buy an $200-$600 upgrade every year - even if it's a small upgrade (thus my "mute" button, shirt, and coffee mug remark). Apple loves that - without a doubt. What successful company wouldn't?

stefan
03-03-2011, 09:20 AM
Stefan, you are misunderstanding me....I think Apple's obvious business plan is very attractive and quite smart (hence my previous snarky comments). And apple loves those people who are MORE THAN willing to buy an $200-$600 upgrade every year - even if it's a small upgrade (thus my "mute" button, shirt, and coffee mug remark). Apple loves that - without a doubt. What successful company wouldn't?

i don't think i am misunderstanding you at all ... it was simply a response to the fact that you like to dwell on this mundane aspect of electronics. it's been clear for a long time that some updates are more substantial than others and some people/fanatics love to get the latest thing. so what?

(fwiw, i think you underestimate or perhaps ignore what it took to make it substantially thinner and maintain equal or better functionality. i would think that was a nontrivial task. and yes thinner is an improvement for this kind of device)

DiscGo
03-03-2011, 09:34 AM
Plus in Apple's defense the iPad is the cheapest device on the market by a major manufacturer. You don't have to upgrade from the iPad to the iPad 2, but so many users are so excited by Apple's products that they just can't wait to upgrade. Apple's business model appears to be changing in that they are forgoing some of their exclusivity and making devices more affordably to cater to the masses.

iPad and iPhones are gateway drugs for switching over to Apple. So they make the highest quality devices they can and very affordably to get people hooked on their products.

I much prefer Android to iOS. But I am very tempted by Apple's very affordable iPads.

Sombeech
03-04-2011, 09:52 PM
http://video.teamcoco.com/video/conan.jsp?oid=245467

stefan
03-05-2011, 09:53 AM
:haha: