PDA

View Full Version : Poll: New ice cream flavor "Baby Gaga" would you try it?

blueeyes
02-25-2011, 10:43 AM
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/02/25/134056923/breast-milk-ice-cream-a-hit-at-london-store?sc=fb&cc=fp

[QUOTE]Anyone pining for some ice cream in London now has an unusual option to consider: ice cream made from mothers' breast milk. The Icecreamists shop has made headlines for using milk from as many as 15 women to make its new "Baby Gaga" flavor.

The rare offering proved a hit with customers at the Covent Garden store

blueeyes
02-25-2011, 10:54 AM
If any of you are FB friends with NPR the comments on this story are pretty funny! I just don't see the point except to get people to talk about breast feeding. Grosses me out at the same time find the concept humorous.

Scott Thompson (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1107785111) What a titillating story. Do they have free range breast ranches?9 minutes ago

canyonphile
02-25-2011, 01:36 PM
I just don't see the point except to get people to talk about breast feeding. Grosses me out at the same time find the concept humorous.

Agreed. The concept of consuming human breast milk past infancy (or whenever kids are typically moved to solid food) makes me nauseous, and the idea of ice cream from it is even grosser :eek2:. Next will be breast milk cheddar or fresh mozzarella.

So, you need a third choice in the poll, I think: 3) HELL no! That would be my choice :haha:

bowjunkie
02-26-2011, 12:07 PM
Agreed. The concept of consuming human breast milk past infancy (or whenever kids are typically moved to solid food) makes me nauseous, and the idea of ice cream from it is even grosser :eek2:. Next will be breast milk cheddar or fresh mozzarella.

So, you need a third choice in the poll, I think: 3) HELL no! That would be my choice :haha:

X2

DangerousElf
02-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Uh...... I think............NOT!

There CAN'T be that many new mommies out there producing THAT much excess...!

And that's way above the simple fact that I won't indulge in ANYTHING that is named "Gaga".

greyhair biker
02-26-2011, 07:06 PM
:eek2: GAG:nod:

mattandersao
02-26-2011, 08:14 PM
I voted before I read what it was! I change my vote to not only no but hell no!

blueeyes
02-26-2011, 08:19 PM
I voted before I read what it was! I change my vote to not only no but hell no! :roflol: What if I paid ya? That is what I should have polled how much would you try Baby Gaga for?

REDFOX
02-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Who doesn't like Lady gaga ? I'd try it once for the $22.00 :clap:

ratagonia
02-28-2011, 07:47 AM
I'm curious as to why people would find it offensive?

While I find it a bit bizarre and too expensive to try, I don't find it offensive in any way. Maybe I am thinking of mother's milk as food, and you are thinking of it as a bodily secretion?

Just curious if anyone wants to analyze why they find it offensive? Anyone? Bueller?

T :moses:

canyonphile
02-28-2011, 08:09 AM
While I find it a bit bizarre and too expensive to try, I don't find it offensive in any way. Maybe I am thinking of mother's milk as food, and you are thinking of it as a bodily secretion?
The last part of the second sentence is why - not at all interested in consuming a stranger's bodily secretions. I don't see it as food for anyone other than the mother's baby. I've heard of men using their wife's breast milk in their coffee, and that jeebs me out as well; I wouldn't even try my own if I was lactating.

So, yeah, I'm an unadventurous prude about these things I guess :haha:, something I'll just have to live with.:wink:

Redfox: hey, I'd even pitch in a little of the $22 if I could watch you try it!:mrgreen:

blueeyes
02-28-2011, 08:48 AM
I don't find it offensive but it does gross me out. For a baby it is food, for me I see it as a bodily secretion. I found all of the comments on FB funny and it is one of those topics that usually generates some interesting thoughts and responses. Actually when I was younger and all my girlfriends were popping out babies left and right I remember a few occasions where bets were laid on the table for someone to taste the expressed milk. It always cracked me up because the guys would step up to the plate and except the bet and the reactions of everyone sitting around the table were hysterical! Never occurred to me you could use breast milk to make ice cream.... there is even a chef in New York that used his wife's breast milk to make cheesecake!

Jaxx
02-28-2011, 09:07 AM
Two thumbs up! Breast milk tastes way better than cow milk. :2thumbs:

accadacca
02-28-2011, 01:23 PM
It really depends on the source. No? :naughty:

James_B_Wads2000
02-28-2011, 02:13 PM
Breast milk straight from the source ain't bad at all, or so I'm told. :)

James

denaliguide
02-28-2011, 03:40 PM
i loved it when my wives were breast feeding.

trackrunner
02-28-2011, 08:46 PM
if it's pasteurized organic fed and meets the standards of PETH . . .

well it looks like it didn't

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=711&sid=14512856

LONDON (AP) - Local government officials said Monday they have confiscated ice cream made with human breast milk from a London shop amid concerns the dessert is unsafe.

A spokeswoman from Westminster City Council said it was responding to two complaints from the public over whether a shop should be selling edibles made from other people's bodily fluids and awaiting guidance from Britain's Food Standards Agency. The official spoke on condition of anonymity in keeping with council policy.

The official said the ice cream, marketed as "Baby Gaga" and launched last week, is being tested with the full cooperation of The Icecreamists, the parlor marketing the dessert.

Viruses, including hepatitis, can be passed on through breast milk.

The company has said that the milk was screened in line with blood donor requirements before being pasteurized and churned together with vanilla pods and lemon zest. The dish comes in a martini glass and sells for 14 pounds ($22.50) each.

"As far as we are aware there is no law prohibiting a business from selling breast milk ice cream," Matt O'Connor, founder of The Icecreamists, said in a statement.

The company paid women who responded to an online ad to donate their breast milk and said all of its products meet the "highest and safest" of food standards.

The company said it has had a "huge response" to its "fresh take" on the world of ice cream. The Icecreamists said at the time that its "Baby Gaga" ice cream sold out as soon as it launched on Friday, but that women had signed up to donate more milk.