PDA

View Full Version : Too Wet - Zion NP

Iceaxe
02-24-2011, 01:24 PM
From the thread: Is This Website New?
(http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?47427-Is-this-website-new)

Just one question - isn't Tom's "too wet" the other name for Benson Creek?

Nope, different canyon.

I see.... Care to share then?

Too Wet is off the Kolob Terrace Road

The route has some serious private property issues, which is one of several reasons I haven't posted it.

I'm also in a bit of a personal quandary over posting new routes inside Zion NP. The minute they are publicly betaed they end up on the Zion Backcountry Permit List. As it currently stands there are at least half-a-dozen good routes inside the park that the rangers are oblivious to and don't patrol. The routes can be done anytime without a permit provided you know where they are.

So my feelings at the moment are to not post the obscure routes inside the park because there are already plenty of betaed routes. And I figure by the time someone has done all the betaed routes they will know or at least have the conections to get the beta on the obscure routes.

Anyhoo.... that's been my thoughts on Zion the past few years. I'd be curious to hear the thoughts of others on this.

jman
02-24-2011, 01:46 PM
I see...

That was my first guess was that it probably has some red tape issues...(like them all, right?)...

But some of the unpublished routes for Zion haven't been too special. Pipe Spring, Chasm (although fun swims), Bear Trap, The Wedge, and Black Canyon (very fun and wet, but very short and a long hike to and from) and a few others were not worth the length for what little you get out of it...but that's just my opinion.

But then again, water or waterfall canyons - I'm a sucker for...even for how lame it is...so I guess I will have to wait for this one to be published.

tanya
02-24-2011, 01:47 PM
In my humble opinion -

I think its totally up to the person, (often Kip) that finds them. They can publish or allow them to be published or they can ask they not be. Kip and others who discover canyons are usually pretty up front about that before they share beta. Same goes with naming a canyon. The first one to find it should name it as long as they don't step forward long after its been published and known as a particular name.