PDA

View Full Version : Greets from the Oregon coast!

geoid
02-23-2011, 09:41 PM
Hello fellow outdoor junkies!

I am a recent graduate and budding geologist who just moved to the Oregon coast for a job. I love to bike, hike, trail run, climb, boat and traveling!

If anyone know of some good places to do any of the above in Oregon (or the PNW), let me know!

Cheers.
-Emily

JP
02-24-2011, 05:30 AM
Howdy and Welcome Emily :ride: :wave:

accadacca
02-24-2011, 05:46 AM
Welcome to Bogley! :2thumbs:

blueeyes
02-24-2011, 05:47 AM
Welcome Emily! :wavey:

All I can say is recently I learned there is one geological formation I hate the Chinle layer here in St. George. Santa Clara is riddled with the stuff and it causes havoc with houses built on it. Locals call the stuff blue clay. Crazy expansive soil.

JP
02-24-2011, 06:44 AM
I like red clay :bandit: Wondering how that blue would work :hmm2:

arindam
03-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Welcome Emily. I am from Seattle and have put in endless miles along the Oregon coast as well as Eastern Oregon. If you like desert climate, I can give you some suggestions on the eastern side of your state (e.g., Bend, John Day National Monument, Alvord Desert and Steen mountains). Along the coast, I love the central and southern sections. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask.

Arindam

ststephen
03-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Welcome. It will be nice to have someone to talk about rock formations!

Tons of great mountain and river stuff in OR and WA. Are you north or south? My wife has relatives in and around Eugene and we've enjoyed boating on the rivers there or hiking the Three Sisters area. Then there are some great waterfalls along the Columbia Gorge. Oh and Crater Lake is pretty awesome summer or winter; I have a buddy who goes there for snowshoeing with his dogs every winter.

lofty
03-15-2011, 09:11 PM
Hi Emily... I'm from Vancouver Canada....lots to explore in the cascades. I'm always up for trips to new areas or to Smith Rocks