PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Robber's Roost

Reverso
02-21-2011, 04:20 PM
This trip report is for Feb. 16th through 20th in Robber's Roost.

Overall it was a successful trip, but not in the ways I had hoped. It started off with a scary drive down in that snow storm that slammed Utah last week. Should have stayed in SLC and gone skiing, but we had this trip planned and wanted to make the best of it. Weather was not cooperating and the forecast was for rain and snow possibly in the Roost. We planned alternatives in case we got down there and the roads were bad, but they ended up being OK. Got turned back going from SLC to Price via highway 6. Snow was too bad to continue and even the police officer we were behind turned around and went back. SO we went the long way down I-15 to Salina. Thinking we could stop for the night after doing 40mph all the way in the snow, we found Salina with no power at all, the town was dark...Instead of staying in a hotel with no lights or heat (like the back of my truck) we decided to brave the last 110 miles to Green River. Finding better weather in GR we decided to head on down into the Roost and find a camp. 430am found us in camp at Moonshine Wash (love that camp). The next morning we had excellent weather and were all alone in the area. We hiked Horseshoe Canyon as a warmup since Von had never been there. The next day we did Three Canyon which neither of us had completed before. It was pretty and a nice hike, but certainly not the canyoneering adventure we were looking for...Just a long hike with climbing gear that was not needed...During Three Canyon, however, Von twisted an ankle and did not mention it until we were back in camp. This quickly swelled up and spelled an end to our trip. We had planned for Big Spring and Mindbender which would have been in great condition, but with his ankle there was no way. We considered going down to N Wash so that he could camp and I could solo some canyons that I am familiar with, but our weather reading indicated more rain coming. We decided to bag the trip and headed to Green River for a beer at Ray's. To top it off, two feet of powder fell in the Wasatch that storm, so I figured I could use the next two days off to do some skiing...WRONG! Try getting up to Alta on a holiday weekend with fresh powder..The traffic going up the canyon was insurmountable...

All things considered for a winter canyoneering trip, things were not so bad. Two nice hikes after braving some very harsh weather was worth it in my mind. I do feel the need to vindicate myself somewhat, so we will be heading back down in the weeks to come.

A note on traveling in the Roost at any time of year, but especially in the winter and in bad weather: Know what you are getting in to. Go prepared for cold, wet and nasty weather. Go prepared to dig your truck out if needed. Go prepared to rescue yourself and do not count on anyone else being there to help. This is a beautiful area but things can go bad quickly and there is no one out there. I cannot express enough that one should only venture into this area with others who know the area and have experience. We have never had a problem down there due to careful preparations and a willingness to call it quits if necessary, but one can certainly see how it can happen.

Right now the roads are good and canyon conditions are manageable. Have fun and BE CAREFUL!!

Iceaxe
02-22-2011, 02:57 PM
A note on traveling in the Roost at any time of year, but especially in the winter and in bad weather: Know what you are getting in to. Go prepared for cold, wet and nasty weather. Go prepared to dig your truck out if needed. Go prepared to rescue yourself and do not count on anyone else being there to help.

When I visit remote locations like the Roost and Swell I have a habit of noting places where I can get cell service. I have never needed it for an emergency, but one of these days it might come in handy.

Reverso
02-22-2011, 08:12 PM
One place is near Lost Spring Canyon up on the hill. Not always reliable and better at night, but it works and I camp there for that reason. I am considering a sat phone just is case. I once got the truck stuck temporarily out there with no service. It would have been a 40 plus mile bike ride if we hadn't figured it out. Good advice iceaxe.